User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
I wouldn't go smaller than the new Focus hatchback or a Mazda3. At least you can fold the seats down and put something in there.

My '03 Focus gets 25mpg when flogged around town and 33 at 80mph on the highway. The new ones are rated even better. I specced out the base 5spd with heated seats and sport package for just over 20k.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
tmsgclma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I just bought a Mazda 2 and love it. It's not a speed demon but with a manual trans pretty zippy. It's got more room than you'd think looking at it. I'm a big guy(6' 300 lbs) and I fit fine along with the wife and daughter. 35 mpg around town and I expect to get around 40 fully loaded on the way to the beach next month.
tmsgclma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #18
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsgclma View Post
I just bought a Mazda 2 and love it. It's not a speed demon but with a manual trans pretty zippy.
That's pretty much a Fiesta, right?
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #19
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wouldn't go smaller than the new Focus hatchback or a Mazda3. At least you can fold the seats down and put something in there.

My '03 Focus gets 25mpg when flogged around town and 33 at 80mph on the highway. The new ones are rated even better. I specced out the base 5spd with heated seats and sport package for just over 20k.
Thanks for that!
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,751
I have my eye on a Hyundai Accent. They seem to be the most inexpensive, and have a great big warranty.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fener6 View Post
im a retard....send some more details/pics of the f250 when u have a chance
Price just went up. Kidding. I'll pm you details.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
tmsgclma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Yes, the Mazda 2 is pretty much a Fiesta but costs quite a bit less. Enough to make a difference to me.
tmsgclma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
6e0ff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
If you are going to be living in Baltimore proper, or parking on the street very often in the city, I would consider buying a car that you wouldn't be too heart broken if it got broken into or stolen. The area right around Hopkins isn't too terrible compared to the rest of Baltimore, but it is still not a great place.
6e0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #24
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6e0ff View Post
If you are going to be living in Baltimore proper, or parking on the street very often in the city, I would consider buying a car that you wouldn't be too heart broken if it got broken into or stolen. The area right around Hopkins isn't too terrible compared to the rest of Baltimore, but it is still not a great place.
Oh trust me, I looked at some crime statistics and clued in on that one pretty quick.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #25
6e0ff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Oh trust me, I looked at some crime statistics and clued in on that one pretty quick.
Stats are one thing, but if you haven't already, go visit the city and drive around some. I'm not trying to talk you out of moving there, Hopkins is a hell of a school, just know what you are getting in to. There are a lot of nice things about Baltimore, and some neighborhoods are still wonderful, but the city as a whole has really gone downhill over the last 10 years or so. Consider that when Anthony Bourdain did a combo show on shitty cities in America, he went to Cleveland, Detroit and Baltimore. I would say that a gun might not be a bad purchase, but the state of MD doesn't trust regular people with guns, so carring legally is not an option.

Of the cars listed, I would go with the Yaris or Fit and maybe add a VW Golf to the list. The new euro based Focus is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't seen one in person, so I don't want to comment.

6e0ff screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 01:00 PM
6e0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I had a Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix) with the small engine and 5 spd manual. We got great MPG and the car was exceptionally versatile with the back seats folding flat and the front passenger seat folding flat albeit a smidge higher than the back seat.

The car was not a rocket ship but was fine on the highway and great in town as it's pretty small. We'd still have it except for a run in with a stolen car running a red light at 50kmh. That one hurt.
payner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #27
Chisenhallw OP
Avowed Pussbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6e0ff View Post
Stats are one thing, but if you haven't already, go visit the city and drive around some.
did that too. Except take out 'drive' and insert 'ride a bicycle'. Spent a week there.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Greetings, denizens.

I'm currently the proud owner of a 1986 Ford F250. I. Love. That. Truck. Love it. Runs perfectly. Excluding current gas prices, it's a great vehicle for the area where I live, central Missouri.

However, my girlfriend got into Johns Hopkins for grad school and we're moving to Baltimore. And that truck is about impractical as it gets for an urban environment.

So I need a small car. 3-5 doors, easily parallel-parkable. Fuel efficient and ok in stop-and-go. I'm looking at both new & used. If you've got a moment, I'd love your opinion and why. I've brainstormed a list;

Honda Fit
Ford Fiesta or ZX-3
Kia Soul
Kia Forte
Hyundai Elantra
Hyundai Accent
Toyota Yaris
Mini Cooper (at my girlfriend's insistence. I shouldn't have told her I can actually fit inside one).

Anything that shouldn't be on that list? Anything that should?

Thanks for your time.

PS - Anybody in Maryland want to buy a used truck in August? $1500, firm.
Don't forget the Honda Civic, coupe or sedan. I love my 06 coupe. Great gas mileage, solid build. Like all Civics, they will last forever if you change the oil regular.

My wife has a 06 3 door Yaris. It's a good little econo box that gets great mileage. She puts it through hell with her daily jaunts around Louisiana's fabulously maintained roads. Tough and reliable, but pretty bare bones. The water pump went out on it, but it was covered by warranty. Other than that, just change the oil, add gas and occasionally put on tires, and it does great.

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45

glynb screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 02:04 PM
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
Bun-bun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Considering you'll be driving in city traffic, I'd suggest you not buy new. You'll save on both insurance and repair bills.
The precursor to the Yaris was the Echo. It's a tiny car with a tiny engine, but built to last and my fathers 2000 gets right around 40mph highway, 32 city. Good used ones can be had for around $6k today.
Another option would be a Jetta TDI.
1985 Honda XL600R - sold
Bun-bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,986
Wife has a Cooper S and for the most part really likes it. Fun to drive, nice interior, good gas mileage. Last tank worked out to 34 for around town driving. She tends to drive it kinda hard, so I imagine it would do better on the highway. It's had a few minor issues under warranty that were a huge pain in the ass, but them seem to have taken care of them. We're probably getting rid of it in the next year just to avoid owning it when it's not under warranty.

I've had significant experience with Fits and REALLY like them. It's probably going to be the car we replace the Cooper with.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: