Oddometer: 33,308
Focus
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #497
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
I test drove a CVT shifter and *hated* it. It didn't give you any actual control over the engine. It just made clicky noises and displayed numbers. It'd still shift without you.

My memory tells me that the Fit & the Fiesta had the same HP, but the Fiesta had more torque. But you can put more in the Fit, and they're more reliable. I wouldn't know a sonic, I hate chevys!
Don't go by the numbers. Drive both. We did.

Bought a Fit

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #498
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,852
Yeah, I am leaning toward the Fit... I have yet to drive the three I am looking at though, so time will tell. Hopefully I will have time today or tomorrow.

Anyone know what kind of deals are out there now for these three? The Fit will be all new for 2014, not sure yet if that is good or bad. Either way, the 2013 model should be discounted. Fiesta, Focus, and Sonic are all pretty much new, so I am not expecting too much wiggle room. Then again, what do I know
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #499
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
VW Golf/Jetta/Beetle/Audi A3 TDi - I've driven my friends Jetta. Solid car, plenty of getup and go, amazing mileage.
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #500
ljasonb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I had a 2010 Fit. Loved it. Tons of cargo space, never had a problem with average sized Home Depot runs. Averaged 36 mpg over my time with it. I sold it for a grand more than I owed when I switched jobs and my commute went from 80 miles daily to 4.
ljasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #501
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Yeah, I am leaning toward the Fit... I have yet to drive the three I am looking at though, so time will tell. Hopefully I will have time today or tomorrow.

Anyone know what kind of deals are out there now for these three? The Fit will be all new for 2014, not sure yet if that is good or bad. Either way, the 2013 model should be discounted. Fiesta, Focus, and Sonic are all pretty much new, so I am not expecting too much wiggle room. Then again, what do I know

Markups are very small on this class of car. If you can get a $500 discount that puts you below invoice. There is 0.9% financing for them here in Cal.

http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #502
jonnytorch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I chose a Civic over the Fit. I was concerned with mileage due to a 124 mile commute. The mileage between the two is about the same and the Civic felt much more substantial and quieter. (The Civic is loud enough). The Fit does have a lot of cargo space.

I actually wound up going with the Civic, also. I had that Tacoma for so long I wanted an actual trunk and not a hatch and the 2012's that everyone seemed to hate but me was practically being given away. Couldn't be happier. Went with the LX with auto because it gets better mileage than standard. 98% city driving and I'm averaging low 30's in mpg.
jonnytorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #503
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn View Post
VW Golf/Jetta/Beetle/Audi A3 TDi - I've driven my friends Jetta. Solid car, plenty of getup and go, amazing mileage.
definitely digging the new gti. mileage has been good considering my short commute. fun factor is high. comfort is good, noise is fairly low and ride quality is much better than expected (especially on our lovingly maintained roads).

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #504
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

That does look nice, and fun! Too pricey for me though
Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #505
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post

Go to truecar.com and put in your zip code. A 2013 Focus SE hatch with manual (the config I'd get) shows $3k off MSRP in your town (vs. $4k off in SoCal).
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #506
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa Major View Post
Go to truecar.com and put in your zip code. A 2013 Focus SE hatch with manual (the config I'd get) shows $3k off MSRP in your town (vs. $4k off in SoCal).
Thanks. I hadn't heard of this website.

I drove the Honda Fit base today, as well as the Chevy Sonic (also a 1LS Camaro for kicks and they had two marked at 19,900, so why not). Overall, the two cars are very similar. The Sonic has a few more bells and whistles, the Honda is larger on the inside, though it doesn't feel like it when driving. The Fit only has a 5-speed where the Sonic has a 6th gear. That kept the RPMs pretty low in 6th gear. The Sonic seemed to be a little quicker off the line, but it has 148 lb ft of torque to the Fit's 105ish. Of note: all the reviews I can find online have the 0-60 times as about equal even though the Sonic has 40% more HP and 50% more torque. The base Fit was being offered at 15,950; the Sonic LT hatchback this dealer was saying about 18,500 minus whatever rebates are available. I found a dealer in Austin and one in Dallas who both had the Sonic LT with manual transmission for 15,900.

So essentially, they are the same price at this trim level. Same acceleration. Honda is a bit more "lively". Chevy is a bit more "techy". Chevy looks better to me at least; remember, the Fit was the base model not the sport which I think does look better. Oh, I have a GM card as well, so that gives me another $500 off whatever sales price we agree to.

Overall, I think I am leaning Sonic right now. I just wonder if day in and day out the Fit would be more fun to drive After driving both, I just do not know, they both felt pretty good to me.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #507
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,944
Does reliability, longevity and resale value matter?

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #508
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
Does reliability, longevity and resale value matter?
I see you vote for the Fit
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #509
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,559
I'm gettin a Sonic!

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/go-...bag-1071118173
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: