User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #61
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Baltimore? Your moving to Baltimore? I hope that booger is worth it.

I think I'd look for a new girlfriend unless this one is going to support your ass for the next 40 or 50 years.

If your dead set on going, just buy the Fit.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #62
Chisenhallw OP
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,657
Thank you for your opinion, now gfy have a nice day.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #63
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Thank you for your opinion, now gfy have a nice day.

Any time, I'm full of advice.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #64
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,750
For what it's worth, I'd try and avoid the whole gotta drive to work/school in the city scenario all together, if at all possible. It's going to be expensive and a hassle no matter what you get. Parking, full coverage Insurance, the "my new car just got busted into" syndrome, etc, etc. Maybe look for a place to live with a high priority on short, easy, cheap, non-automotive commute to school. Fine tune your vehicle list once you have the living situation dialed in.

Or not.
AkBrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 AM   #65
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,374
FWIW I have an '03 Focus wagon that we bought for cheap as a delivery vehicle for my shop. Planned on keeping it for a couple years until we could get something nicer.

That was 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. It's been super reliable (i.e. only expense has been oil changes, tires, and battery) and routinely gets 34mpg on the highway. Being a wagon with fold down back seats, you can fit a crap load of stuff back there. 140,000 total miles on it now.

We did finally look at replacing it and wanted a new one of the same body but alas, they aren't offering the Focus in a wagon anymore.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #66
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
I'd add the Fiat 500 into the mix. It's like the Mini but significantly less expensive. I like the upscale interior of the 500. It's pretty roomy up front. It's a couple thousand less then a Mini but still had that nicer feel to it.

You list is pretty good. Really I think it comes down to personal preference. If the GF likes the Mini a 500 would be a compromise, I wouldn't mind.

My short list would be; Fit, Fiesta and 500.
Jeffy nailed it in the first reply. Fiat 500 all the way, though i would throw the Mini in there too.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #67
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
just buy the Fit.
That part is solid. The CRZ is cool too.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #68
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
suzuki swift or sx4,much nicer small car than most small cars,including hondas and toyotas
Old 05-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #69
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,376
I'm a German car snob and have owned a number of BMWs and Audis. My MINI has been, by far, the most to drive of any 4 wheel vehicle I've ever owned. Had mine for 5 yrs now with no intentions of letting her go. It's the closest thing to hopping on a motorcycle for me.

I sense you may have an issue with the "chick car" thing though - oh well. All of the other cars on your list should be more practical.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #70
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Honda Fit Great little car though I don't know if their is an issue with supply yet due to the tsunami. It feels a lot like my Civic which I abused the hell out of as only a 16 year old can and it is just starting to kick it at 150k.
Ford Fiesta or ZX-3 From what I hear decent cars.
Kia Soul
Quote:
Nice car just crappy MPG for this segment.
Kia Forte Better MPG but takes away all I like about the Soul.
Hyundai Elantra I hate Hyundai's heavy steering
Hyundai Accent I really hate Hyundai's heavy steering
Toyota Yaris Cheap car, and you can tell, the Nissan Versa is the same way
Mini Cooper (at my girlfriend's insistence. I shouldn't have told her I can actually fit inside one). I want the Clubman myself which is more along the lines of the other cars you have listed in size.
I'd add the Chevy Cruze and Sonic when it comes out. If you are looking at an Elantra wagon stay away since it is the last generation car and the new one is a lot better (for a Hyundai, and yes I know they are the same as Kia's but I like the way Kia's are set up a lot more). If MPG are a concern the Honda Insight can usually be had for a song since the US sales haven't been great. It is basically a Fit with a more aerodynamic body so if you want a Honda see what they will do for deals. The Fit is in massive demand and with the shortages the prices could get closer and closer making the Insight a no brainer.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #71
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
i'm glad that you'll finally admit to that!

I love these threads when a guy gives a list of what he's considering then you just ignore it and throw out your own ideas about what he should want, usually bigger, and more expensive.

don't trust me though, i've only been the business for 20 years.
Really the only choice is a S class Mercedes: Smooth, well isolated from they hoy polloi. Comfortable. You'll be in a large city, you want to arrive relaxed at your destination. Don't worry about the parking hassle, just hire a chauffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #72
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Really the only choice is a S class Mercedes: Smooth, well isolated from they hoy polloi. Comfortable. You'll be in a large city, you want to arrive relaxed at your destination. Don't worry about the parking hassle, just hire a [Klay]chauffeur[/Klay].

And if you are going to have one a S class is too small, you need their next step up

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #73
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,279
I bet you sir, have Grey Poupon.

Actually, though RR has a great ADV point, this has been one of the most on track "what car" threads I've seen. Usually you do get the Mayback/MB/Rolls crowd chiming in.---"My Dad is retired and on a fixed income... we need a reliable less than $10.000 mid sized car... answer: you really should consider a gently used MB or Yukon..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #74
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,951
As far as the Fit being in short supply, the Honda dealer down the street from me has oodles of em. You cant swing a dead cat around here, Austin, without hitting several of em. I may going down there and look at one and maybe a Civic today.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #75
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
That part is solid. The CRZ is cool too.

The other part was just me fuckin around.

I'm really starting to think of cars as a disposable item these days. They cost out the ass and when you pile the miles on them you almost have to pay someone to teke them off your hands. The Hondas do seem to hold an excellent resell value though I dont know if the premium you pay up front covers the value when it has 150,000 miles on it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: