User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
halfcabnut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
please help ease my mind or scare me to death

Okay. I didn't know about this forum. Long term rider first time Lurker to the site. I must confess when I looked at the f 800 gs I loved it. I thought it was the answer to all for me. I have been riding hare scrambles for the last 20 yrs had some youngings and just don't have time anymore. So I thought I would buy a DP that would cure the crave some off road and ride to work. But after finding this site I'm nervous that I messed up I don't care about a hard seat I'm use to ridding a husaberg. Lol but alot of folks are complaining about big issues .2500 miles in I'm loving the bike but just scared from all I've been reading. Can anybody give me some true insight or did I really buy blind and stupid.thanks Dan.S
halfcabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcabnut View Post
Okay. I didn't know about this forum. Long term rider first time Lurker to the site. I must confess when I looked at the f 800 gs I loved it. I thought it was the answer to all for me. I have been riding hare scrambles for the last 20 yrs had some youngings and just don't have time anymore. So I thought I would buy a DP that would cure the crave some off road and ride to work. But after finding this site I'm nervous that I messed up I don't care about a hard seat I'm use to ridding a husaberg. Lol but alot of folks are complaining about big issues .2500 miles in I'm loving the bike but just scared from all I've been reading. Can anybody give me some true insight or did I really buy blind and stupid.thanks Dan.S
It's the internet ... you mostly hear of the problems. Usually, for every reported problem there are many others riding problem free. Enjoy your ride.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Unlax. I've got more than 31,000 un-babied miles on mine with no problems. Worry about something else.

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Yeah... like WW said... nothing to worry about here. I've got 2 F800GSs in the barn (doubling my chances to have something catastrophically fail!) with a total of 70,000 miles between the two of them with not much to bitch about. Just go ride!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Relax, and stop reading all the negativity. Most people post about negative crap, and thats just human nature.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I bought my bike first, then found the fourms later and was wondering too. I've found out what to weed through and what to look at. I really don't give a shit once I get on my bike though, been real happy with it and never looked back.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I service F800's 5 days a week. In 2 years, I have seen 2 really bad experiences, one of which is ongoing though soon to be worked out. That is out of hundreds of bikes sold, and many serviced that other dealers sold.

Both of those unfortunate events are mentioned on this site, but there are no threads about the many customers that have had no serious un-pleasantries.

The bad things happen to less then 1% of my customers. I wouldn't worry about it.

The things to watch out from my experience (those that can end a motorcycle trip) are:
1: Clogged fuel injectors. Use techron, 90% of problems solved.
2: Stuck fuel pump. Use techron and make yourself a controller bypass kit. A video I have yet to make will show how if I ever get free time to make it.
3: Bad rear wheel bearing. Not real common, but more common then I would like. As one should on all motorcycles, check your wheel bearings often. If something goes wrong, find a GOOD dealer that won't stop till the issue is fixed right.

Ride the thing and enjoy it. A good dealer service department and 36k mile warranty has your back :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 262
Grab your big-boy pants and go!

Too many people on these sites like to complain about their problems - misery loves company, I guess. You chose the bike and made a decision that was right for you....run with it!

Most of the postings of problems, however, are meant as information for the rest of us, kind of a 'watch out for this' sort of message. These are helpful, but you have to consider the converse: would someone who is having no trouble at all post in to say, "Oooh, be careful. You're really going to like this bike"?

There will always be some folks that have an axe to grind skewing the overall tone of the message board. Ride it like ya stole it!

Happy trails.
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfcabnut View Post
...alot of folks are complaining about big issues
Its a great bike.

Its has some issues.

Some people are afraid to admit it has any flaws, some people only talk about the flaws. Its natural to spend more time talking about the bad things (and associated resolutions) than the good things, but on either side the conversations can get blown out of proportion and taken out of context. If you're looking for honest advice, best to ignore the fringe opinions. Its not a POS and its not the greatest thing ever.

There's no real show stoppers with the bike, and there's far more good things than bad things.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
speck
It's all about endorphins

Oddometer: 32
I've been cheating death for over 50,000 (s)miles on a Harley-Davidson Sportster..... 4 transmissions, 5 sets of tires, but never layed it down or gotten into a situation that my swivel-head didn't prognosticate.

If the motorcycling equivalent of a Rube Goldberg mouse-trap can perform so well, then the precision of a BMW will do much better.... Though, human factors.... Too much confidence can maim, if not kill.

I have absolutely no confidence in my Sportster (4 transmissions). I try not to have so many confidences in my F800GS (though that 4,000 RPM hit just feels so good).

Keep yer head on a SWIVEL.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #11
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,155
I was one of the beta testers for the F800GS and have seen quite a few recalls and part upgrades. I have never been left stranded in the middle of nowhere and all but one of the problems I have had has been resolved to my satisfaction. The one I am still not sure of is the rear wheel bearings, but BMW did a warranty repair quite a while ago and it may be fixed ... just need to get to the next rear tyre change to be really sure.

Of the resolved problems the most annoying was the top radiator hose. I had the recall for the new hose but this didn't fix it so BMW gave me a new water pump cover and I now think the problem is fixed. The other long term issue was the leaking valve cover gasket. This was fixed with a new kit from BMW under warranty.

So what I am saying is that early F800GS's had a few problems, but I think that nearly all of these issues have been taken care of with new parts. BMW have supplied my bike with the upgraded parts and I am happy (as long as the wheel bearing problem really is over!). If you bought a new 2010 or later model I don't think you will have much to worry about.

Its a nice bike to ride and responds well to thoughtful farkling ... so I'd stop worrying and just ride it (and look after it!).

I suppose that I should also mention that some members of this forum on other threads have a culture of BMW bashing. I don't know if they had deep childhood trauma's such as a BMW stealing their lunch and bullying them, but obviously something left deep mental scars. This manifests itself in some people taking every opportunity to criticize everything BMW has ever and will ever do. You should ignore these people once you work out who they are. (Or possibly reverse troll them if you are bored! ).
Old 05-18-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 412
I also bought on a whim...then found the sites afterward. I also felt like I might have made a big mistake based on what I was reading. A year later I agree with all the inmate opinions above. There are lemons in any batch of vehicles. There are many more "anti-lemons". Use the complaints to know what to look for JIC but more importantly, what to DO if you find the occasional problem with your bike. The chances of all these problems happening to your lone ride is nil.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
halfcabnut OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Thanks To all

Thanks for all the reasurance .I got to reading some of the threads and got somewhat nervous. I have always thought of BMW as a top shelf item so i really dindnt put to much thought into quality when i made my purchase ( Really didnt think it would be a issue) . Thanks again.
Dan.S
halfcabnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
You should ignore these people once you work out who they are.
There's even an "Ignore" button here just for that purpose. I finally got around to applying the Ignore hammer on one inmate here, and now I don't even see his posts unless someone quotes him. Ahhhhhhhh... Peace at last!

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #15
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
I got one of the early F800GSs. Had the rear and front wheel bearings go, water pump seal leak, and fuel pump quit. None of those left me stranded.

After three summers, I think i'll buy a battery once I know I leave for a longish trip for peace of mind (I still have the OEM).

You hear lots of complaints about the sucky suspension, abrupt throttle, bad seat, soft rims... those are all fixable, or rider adaptable. No worries, ride it, clean it (once in a while), and maintain it.

The regular maintenance on this bike is quite easy.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote