|05-18-2011, 08:27 AM||#17|
North Forest Rider
Joined: Nov 2008
I have one of the earlier F800GS's as well. 2009 model year, September 2008 build date. I am pretty much a beta tester as well along with Ducksbane. I've had virtually every recall and service bulletin done on my bike.
The only real trip-stopper problem I had was a catastrophic clutch failure at 800 miles on the odometer. The bike was brand new. Someone at Rotax didn't torque and loctite a clutch bolt down properly and it backed out while the engine was running at 5,000-6,000 RPM's on the freeway. Would've grenaded the engine if I hadn't heard/felt the issue and immediately killed the engine and rolled to a stop. It sucked, yes. However, BMW took care of me fully. Roadside assistance hauled my bike and I to the dealer. Dealer assessed the situation and ordered proper parts. Bike got fixed and I've been riding ever since with zero issues.
The only other issue I've had repeatedly is a cracked cosmetic fuel tank cover. The first factory tank cracked and was replaced. Now the second one is cracked and my dealer has the new updated tank on the way from Berlin.
Overall, from 800 miles to my current 13,081 miles the bike has been very reliable. I've been in the middle of no-man's-land and not been worried one bit. When my odometer crossed the 5,000 mile mark without any more issues I pretty much let go of worrying and realized that this bike is reliable.
With my clutch failure, I was definitely in the 1% Joel talks about. However, since I have over 12,000 miles on the clock since then I feel that I've definitely moved into the 99% that don't have issues category.
Ride the bike and enjoy it! These bikes are great. Very reliable, especially the 2010's and 2011's that have all the bugs worked out and recall/service bulletin work done either from the factory or at delivery to the dealer.
|05-18-2011, 09:27 AM||#18|
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
I've got a 2010 that I ordered right off the assembly line in April of last year. I opted to order one directly from Germany rather than buy an older one from the dealership so that I could have the most updated (at the time) parts and changes in the design that had been made.
My F8gs is my primary means of transportation and I ride in all conditions i.e., rain, snow, cold, fog, day, and night. Thankfully, I live in a location where I can ride all year long. I also live in the mountains, so I have a perfect combination of twistsies and off-road commuting on a daily basis.
Unlike you, I actually knew about all the earlier problems of the f800, but I still chose to purchase it. With the exception of the valve cover gasket (which was fixed under warranty), all the earlier problems have not effected my bike.
My bike has performed marvelously in all the conditions and terrains I've taken it on. Reliability is paramount and so far I have complete confidence in the bike. I need to bring it in for the 12k mile service soon to check and see if the valve clearances are in spec, but all the other maintenance I've done myself. I changed the brake fluid last week, oil changes, tire changes, etc., are no problem.
I think the 1 percent group resonates louder on this forum at times, but it's important to remember that the probability is greater for you to be in the 99 percent group who experience little to no problems.
Apostolos screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 09:38 AM
|05-18-2011, 01:39 PM||#19|
In a parallel world
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: South Coast, CA
I carry a couple spare wheel bearings when I travel, just in case. It's not a common problem, but would be a showstopper, so why not have the spares? I also check them whenever at every tire change by sticking a finger in and feeling for play, then rotating them to check for grit, grinding, grunge or galling.
Other than that, I'm totally confident in this bike. Nary a glitch, fun to ride and easy to maintain. You won't regret owning one.
And if you think folks complain about this bike, try a KLR forum
|05-18-2011, 07:30 PM||#20|
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Shelbyville Indiana
Thanks for all the support to put my mind at ease. I was out tonight smiling ear to ear. It was cold and raining. Never seen another bike out tonight I guess all the Harley guys where home polishing there chrome lol thanks again inmates.....Dan.S
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|