Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #16
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
After doing the Goler Wash Step (which is way overrated in terms of difficulty IMO) topped out on Mengle Pass. Fun and scenic ride over the pass. Had hoped to stay in one of the cabins down in Stripe Butte valley but they were both occupied. Couple in the Geologist cabin invited me to stay but didn't want to impose so I kept moving. Light was fading fast and I didn't want to set up in the dark so started looking for some flat ground. Really scenic ride through the valley. Found a spot and set up for the night. Perfect weather, no chance of rain (which was good since I had no tent now), no wind and the stars were spectacular during the night.

Mengle Pass

Washed out side road I went exploring in

Headed east towards Stripe Butte Valley

Camp spot for the night..

Dinner for the night...

Night sky was spectacular ......

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Nice report and pics.

You would think REI would make more abrasion resistant tents.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Great report and pics. Was just out there a few weeks ago and road over some of the same roads. To bad about the tent, interesting looking sleeping pad or cot, what is it?
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Great report and pics. Was just out there a few weeks ago and road over some of the same roads. To bad about the tent, interesting looking sleeping pad or cot, what is it?
+1

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
I like the bike for what I do. I get a lot of grief from some of the guys around here who ride the 650R. All good natured but grief none the less! I'm not some hotshot rider by any means and the L gets the job done for me. I'm not out jumping shit, hauling ass or pulling wheelies with it. I'm out poking around on fire roads, quad trails and simple singletrack when I run across it. With the Giant Loop Great Basin bag it makes a good set-up for camping off the bike. I've put about 8000 miles on it with no problems. Thing is pretty simple with it being air cooled. I change the oil, clean the filter and flog it. I'd buy it again. Got it used for a good deal with only 400 miles on it in stock condition. I think the XR650 has built up a good reputation seeing as how long it's been out there.
Well said and +1 on your insight! Just sold my Dakar and was looking for something with a little more oomph than my KLX but lighter than that damn heavy BMW and something easier to work on. You might have sold me on the XRL.

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Cot is a sweet set up. Kind of spendy but it sleeps like a dream regardless of the ground condition. I don't like to set up a tent unless I have to. Set this thing up and you're golden. Packs down to practically nothing. If I do set up the tent i just put it directly on the ground underneath the tent flooring. If it pours rain you don't really need a ground cover under the tent. Like I stated it's not cheap but if used enough well worth the price. Here's the link http://www.luxurylite.com/
Old 05-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
cfernandez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just curious what kind of super light weight "cot" are you using? I have never seen one with those steel rings as legs. Great report. Making me wish for a more offroad rig than what I have now. Cheers!
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900
cfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #23
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Up early the next morning for some coffee. Plan was to ride into Furnace Creek for lunch with a little exploring along the way. After lunch in Furnace Creek on to Chloride Cliff area. Weather was great and no one around until Furnace Creek. Place was crawling with tourist buses and people in that friggin gift shop. Amazes me how people think they're seeing Death Valley from an air-conditioned bus while playing with their friggin knick knacks that they've overpaid for in the gift shop. What a scam that place is. Ate at the bar and blew that popsicle stand.

Ahhh Coffee with a view....

Got packed up and headed to Furnace Creek. Pics on the way in....

More to come.....
Old 05-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #24
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfernandez View Post
Just curious what kind of super light weight "cot" are you using? I have never seen one with those steel rings as legs. Great report. Making me wish for a more offroad rig than what I have now. Cheers!
cfernandez.....see post right before your post. Rings are made of reinforced plastic, not steel. Super light set up, easily packable.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #25
cfernandez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks! Saw a pic of your cot on 1st page and did not reply before reading the rest of your report. Just finished reading it all now

Do you ever get cold on windy cold nights with the wind blowing underneath the cot?
1985 Kawasaki GPZ900
cfernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #26
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfernandez View Post
Thanks! Saw a pic of your cot on 1st page and did not reply before reading the rest of your report. Just finished reading it all now

Do you ever get cold on windy cold nights with the wind blowing underneath the cot?
No....I use a Big Agnes bag with an insulated pad. Great system. The insulated pad is the key when sleeping on the cot in cold weather. If it's really warm out I don't even take the pad, just lay right on the cot. My bag is rated to 30 degrees so if it gets down in the teens I sleep with my long johns on and a skull cap. Also use a silk bag liner if I know the weather is going to be cold. I like the higher rated bag because it packs down a lot smaller than the low temp bags. You can't go wrong with the Big Agnes set up in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 895
Great report and pic's - makes me want to go back so bad!! We did the same trip back in mid-March on my 650L, except staged out of Beatty and rode/camped off the bikes for 5 days in the park. Had 85 deg weather, great times, and the same hairy hippy chicks in the hot springs. With $4 gas now I might have to ride down on the GS next time.

Thanks for sharing!!

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After restocking in Furnace Creek and fighting the tourista's slabbed towards Beatty and took a jeep road up towards Chloride Cliffs. Had heard the view of the valley from up top were worth seeing and there were some old mines to poke around at. Jeep road in was lots of fun and they were right.....views were good.

Lots of open mines in the area

Dropped down off the cliffs and headed in the general direction where I thought I'd hit the highway north of Beatty. After about 15 miles of dead reckoning came out on the road about 10 miles from Beatty. Plan was to slab into Beatty, gas up and head back out to camp somewhere. Weather was so good considered going back up where I'd just come from to camp. Plans changed after visiting Beatty.

Lunch break somewhere in Nevada...

Hit some slab and rode into Beatty. Visited one of the local watering holes and met some real characters. Great place and fun hanging out. Had planned on going back out to camp but after too many cold ones decided to get a room in town.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
LostHighway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
250cc

I wanna hear more about that girl on the 250!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 AM   #30
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post

More to come.....
Front-page advrider material, I really like your photography, excellent job.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote