Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Basecamp importation

I'm (once again) dedicating some time to trying to learn Basecamp, and trying to like it. But Basecamp isn't making it easy. My question at the moment is:

Is there a way to keep Basecamp from importing every track/waypoint from my unit(s) and adding them to "My Collection" every time I plug a unit in?

"My Collection" is getting cluttered, and I don't really need every track I make to be added to it. I'd prefer to add/manage my tracks on my own, but I don't seem to be able to do so. Is there a way to limit what Basecamp stores?

Ok, I'll stop there, and try to keep this a single track post. Thanks in advance for any help/info anyone can provide.

MV
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
I don't know of any way. But I actually consider this a pretty good feature. I generally only plug my Montana in when I want to see the tracks in Basecamp. (Except for the times I only want to send tracks to the unit.)

And when I do plug it in, I plan on doing something else for a the few minutes it takes Basecamp to read in all the stuff. Because of this delay I only plug the unit in when I actually plan to communicate to or from it. I have all my mapsets on my computer disc.

I have really cut a lot out of my Basecamp List collection because it was getting cluttered. It's really easy to load stuff back in. I couldn't see any reason to have every planning and actual track/waypoints I have ever done to be there all the time.

Plus I actually mainly use Mapsource for trip planning. So I need the files on my disc anyway. I have heard some guys do direct copy and paste between Basecamp and Mapsource, but I haven't tried that yet.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
And when I do plug it in, I plan on doing something else for a the few minutes it takes Basecamp to read in all the stuff. Because of this delay I only plug the unit in when I actually plan to communicate to or from it. I have all my mapsets on my computer disc.

I have really cut a lot out of my Basecamp List collection because it was getting cluttered.
With Mapsource you can use File Explorer and only copy what you want from your unit to your hard drive in seconds. Then use Mapsosurce to view edit tracks. I think you can import the gpx file to your giant BaseCamp data base but I have never wanted to spend a high % of the rest of my life to learn it.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #4
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't know of any way. But I actually consider this a pretty good feature. I generally only plug my Montana in when I want to see the tracks in Basecamp. (Except for the times I only want to send tracks to the unit.)

I have really cut a lot out of my Basecamp List collection because it was getting cluttered. It's really easy to load stuff back in. I couldn't see any reason to have every planning and actual track/waypoints I have ever done to be there all the time.

Plus I actually mainly use Mapsource for trip planning. So I need the files on my disc anyway. I have heard some guys do direct copy and paste between Basecamp and Mapsource, but I haven't tried that yet.
Well, I tend to hook up my unit after almost every trip. I save my tracks as files elsewhere on my hard drive, as I'm not too keen on Basecamp's system, or the fact that I don't know where they're stored by Basecamp. It's just that every time I open a track, either from one of my units, or from my hard drive, Basecamp automatically adds it to "My Collection" creating a huge mess of tracks. And of course, since we both ride with GPS units, we often end up with two almost identical tracks, which just further adds to the clutter.

Not sure about the delay you mention, my units synch up with Basecamp pretty quickly, only taking more than a minute after a new install of Basecamp, or maybe some updates.

I certainly agree that there's no reason to clutter up Basecamp with everything, all the time, but I guess Garmin doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
With Mapsource you can use File Explorer and only copy what you want from your unit to your hard drive in seconds. Then use Mapsosurce to view edit tracks. I think you can import the gpx file to your giant BaseCamp data base but I have never wanted to spend a high % of the rest of my life to learn it.
I guess I ought to look at Mapsource. I've never used it, and figured since I was starting from scratch, I might as well learn the new software rather than the old.

At this point, we use the GPS units more as data recorders than as navigation units. We never plan out a route ahead of time, at least, not on the GPS. We've talked about getting some different maps and trying to plan trips with Basecamp, but neither of us is quite sure why we'd do that.

I guess I'll keep plugging along with Basecamp and my cluttered "Collection", I was just hoping there was a way to stop Basecamp from adding to the clutter.

MV
Old Today, 07:55 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

You can easily delete a List from Basecamp's collection by right clicking and selecting Delete. You don't have to let them just pile up.

I fully agree about saving trips to disc in a place and a name of your choosing rather than rely on Basecamps database whatever and wherever that is.

I have a lot of tracks and waypoints on my Montana. So maybe that's way it takes a couple of minutes to load them into Basecamp. Or maybe it doesn't take as long as I think and I am just impatient.

My problem with using Explorer to move things in and out of the Montana is that the naming convention gives no clue as to what is in the file and I would have to open lots of them in Mapsource to figure out what was what. I guess one could go by date created.

If there is an easy way around this problem, I would be glad to hear about it and try it.
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #6
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can easily delete a List from Basecamp's collection by right clicking and selecting Delete. You don't have to let them just pile up.

I fully agree about saving trips to disc in a place and a name of your choosing rather than rely on Basecamps database whatever and wherever that is.

I have a lot of tracks and waypoints on my Montana. So maybe that's way it takes a couple of minutes to load them into Basecamp. Or maybe it doesn't take as long as I think and I am just impatient.

My problem with using Explorer to move things in and out of the Montana is that the naming convention gives no clue as to what is in the file and I would have to open lots of them in Mapsource to figure out what was what. I guess one could go by date created.

If there is an easy way around this problem, I would be glad to hear about it and try it.
I can, and do, delete things from Basecamp, I'm just getting tired of having to do it constantly. Every time I open a track, Basecamp saves a copy, meaning every time I I use Basecamp, I have to waste time deleting stuff, else they all pile up.

I don't typically store any tracks on my unit. The waypoints I leave on there, but everything else gets put on my hard drive.

I tend to store my tracks in the same folder as my pics from any given trip, so mostly it's easy for me to remember what is what. But the more times we go to the same places, especially via different routes, the more I can see why I'd want to have something other than my memory to keep track of it all. I rename most of the .GPX files to reflect the particular trip, but still, there are only so many ways to say we went to Hume.

I guess it mostly boils down to I want to control/organize/use MY files, MY way, but Basecamp doesn't seem to want to let me. Basecamp wants to make a copy of everything, and force me to organize it within Basecamp, or be left with a jumbled mess of data, which Basecamp also wants to display all the time, making for a jumbled mess of a map.

Ugh. I'm going to keep trying, but Basecamp sure isn't making it easy...

MV
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #7
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Hmm, I'm on a Mac most of the time, but I just click on the gps unit in the upper left column and look at the info on the gps, then select and drag what I want down to my collection (or a list). That way I only grab what I want. No need to import everything.

In my case it almost all comes from Basecamp anyway so I'm just pulling in tracks for looking at where I went.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04 PM   #8
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
I've relegated BaseCamp to just a GPS data database as I do all of my Trip Planning in FURKOT.com. BaseCamp does data management reasonably well given that you can visualize your GPS data in context to your other data depending upon how you organize your data.

You folks seem to have a very unique installation of BaseCamp. None of my installations automatically Transfer data from my GPS's (Montana, NAV5, zumo590, Monterra, fenix, ...) to BaseCamp.

When connected, BaseCamp (Mac or Win) will show you the data that is on your GPS in the Devices, User Data window - but it does not Transfer it for you to some magical location: nor does it just drop it into the current database.

If you want to save any or all of your displayed device data, just create a New List and then drag/drop your selected data from the GPS to that List.

You organize your data within the database by creating List Folders and Lists.

Using BaseCamp is certainly not mandatory you can use various applications to transfer the data form your GPS to your computer as well as manipulate the data. But, if you do want to use BaseCamp, you might want to invest a little time in understanding how it works.

By the way, you can create a BaseCamp database and save it anywhere you desire. No VooDoo happening, just good data management.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:05 PM   #9
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I've relegated BaseCamp to just a GPS data database as I do all of my Trip Planning in FURKOT.com. BaseCamp does data management reasonably well given that you can visualize your GPS data in context to your other data depending upon how you organize your data.

You folks seem to have a very unique installation of BaseCamp. None of my installations automatically Transfer data from my GPS's (Montana, NAV5, zumo590, Monterra, fenix, ...) to BaseCamp.

When connected, BaseCamp (Mac or Win) will show you the data that is on your GPS in the Devices, User Data window - but it does not Transfer it for you to some magical location: nor does it just drop it into the current database.

If you want to save any or all of your displayed device data, just create a New List and then drag/drop your selected data from the GPS to that List.

You organize your data within the database by creating List Folders and Lists.

Using BaseCamp is certainly not mandatory you can use various applications to transfer the data form your GPS to your computer as well as manipulate the data. But, if you do want to use BaseCamp, you might want to invest a little time in understanding how it works.

By the way, you can create a BaseCamp database and save it anywhere you desire. No VooDoo happening, just good data management.
Really? Your Basecamp doesn't add everything to "My Collection"? That's what this whole post is about, for me at least. Every track I view gets added to "My Collection". I can move them from there, or delete them, but the next time I view them, bingo, right back in "My Collection". Where have I gone wrong? My install shouldn't be anything special, just the normal download/install. I don't recall what version of Basecamp I have, I know it's the most current. My computer isn't anything special. PC with Windows 7. Can you point me in the direction I need to go to change Basecamp's actions?

You mention that I can store my data separately. I do, but I do this by taking it straight off of the GPS, rather than using Basecamp. Though I have done it through Basecamp a few times. My concern is all the stuff in "My Collection", where is that stored? Can I access it? I've looked about, but never found it. Where on my hard drive is it? If I want to access it without Basecamp, how would I do so?

I know how to play with all my data in Basecamp, but I don't want to be forced to. With Basecamp importing all of my data from anywhere whenever I view it, I'm left with a jumbled mess unless I organize everything through Basecamp. And if I don't do so, the jumbled mess makes Basecamp a pain to use.

Don't suppose you have a copy of the Basecamp instruction manual you could lend me?

MV
Old Today, 03:23 PM   #10
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
Hesaid,

Walk me through the process you are using step by step please, starting with what Garmin GPS are you using and proceed from there.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #11
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,260
Knowing version of Basecamp and computer OS could help too.

Basecamp doesn't grab everything from my GPSs and add it to My Collection.
Old Today, 06:01 PM   #12
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Hesaid,

Walk me through the process you are using step by step please, starting with what Garmin GPS are you using and proceed from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Knowing version of Basecamp and computer OS could help too.

Basecamp doesn't grab everything from my GPSs and add it to My Collection.
I'll be happy to, but it'll have to wait until later this evening, as I have neither my GPS, nor my computer/Basecamp here with me.

Thanks for the help.

MV
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #13
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Well my Basecamp doesn't actually add the stuff in Monana to my collection permanently. But it does automatically read it and append it to the list of stuff available as shown in the picture under Internal Storage.

When I exit Basecamp that information from the Montana does not remain in My Collection and would not be there if I opened Basecamp without the unit connected.

I would virtually never delete a good track from the Internal Storage folder. I think that is a great backup location for ultra-high resolution tracks as long as I have enough memory in the Montana.

But I do delete the tracks that go nowhere that were just created as a result of me turning on the unit.
Old Today, 07:13 PM   #14
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
My BaseCamp operates like DRTBYK's. None of my gps files automatically transfer when I turn on my gps. However, when I turn on my eTrex Vista HCx, all the files open (show) in the Library under "Devices" with an "Internal Storage" folder. If I click on the internal storage folder, I can see all my tracks, routes, waypoints etc.

With the GPS still plugged in and on, when I click My Collection I only see the files I've placed there before, not any new files off the GPS.

I have to copy or move the files from the internal storage from the gps to my collection to save them there.

BaseCamp 4.4.2 with PC.

I'm not aware nor have I had to do anything specific in a setup for this.

No real help here other than agreeing with another that our gps's files don't automatically transfer to BaseCamp when we turn the gps on.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is online now   Reply With Quote