ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #1501
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The key to Garmin's search function is to give little info.
That's been my experience as well. The more information you put into the search, the more likely you are to not get what you're looking for. One small mistake in the information you input could flaw the search.

One time I was looking for a small town near here and couldn't find it by town name so I put the same word into an "All POI" search and it came up with many businesses in the town, and from that I found that the town had a different "Official" name and that's why I didn't find it.

Maybe it used to be called one thing but was amalgamated and changed name.

Not saying that's the case in the search for "White Post" but the method is worth a try when you just can't find what you know should exist on the map.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #1502
marco polo
Studly Adventurer
 
marco polo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Alexandria VA and Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 630
Question On Shortcuts

I've been playing with my Montana 600 for a few days (having read through this entire thread and made notes of tips and tricks, along with the page and post number). On page 70 (post#1050), DRTBYK talked about the shortcuts he had created, including one for re-setting the trip odometer. I have made several shortcuts (Go Home; Fuel Services; Food and Drink; Hospitals; Portrait Lock; Lock Landscape etc.) and assigned the appropriate icon to one of my menu pages.

Here's my first question: I've created a shortcut, which I've entitled "Re-set Trip". When I press the icon, it brings up the trip computer. I then have to press the three-line menu icon on the screen to reveal a pop-up menu with five choices, one of which is "Reset". If I press "Reset", I get four options, one of which is "Reset Trip Data". If I press that, it will clear "timers, averages, distances etc.". Is this what DRTBYK meant by creating a shortcut to re-set the trip odometer? Can it be done with one touch? Can the shortcut be configured to re-set only the trip odometer and not all trip computer data? I feel like I've misunderstood, or missed something.

The second question on shortcuts is more general. If I select: "Setup/Shortcuts/Create Shortcut", I'm presented with up to six fields that I can manipulate (Name; Icon; Profile; Setup; Where To?; and, Application). To this point, in creating shortcuts, I've only used the first four of those six fields. Given that my shortcuts seem to work (except perhaps "Re-set Trip" above), I'm assuming I correctly concluded that I need not complete all six fields for each shortcut. I have questions then about the remaining two fields, Where To? and Application. If I select "Application", I can create a one-button shortcut to any of those applications, correct? If I decide to do this, do I just ignore "Setup" and "Where To?" Finally, I have to admit that I seem to have a mental block when it comes to the "Where To?" field. I can't for the life of me figure out what this is for (and I've read DRTBYK's annotated Owner's Manual too). Can anyone help me understand why I'd use "Where To?" in a shortcut? And if I did, would I ignore the "Setup" field and the "Application" field?

Hopefully that's not too confusing.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #1503
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I've been playing with my Montana 600 for a few days (having read through this entire thread and made notes of tips and tricks, along with the page and post number). On page 70 (post#1050), DRTBYK talked about the shortcuts he had created, including one for re-setting the trip odometer. I have made several shortcuts (Go Home; Fuel Services; Food and Drink; Hospitals; Portrait Lock; Lock Landscape etc.) and assigned the appropriate icon to one of my menu pages.

Here's my first question: I've created a shortcut, which I've entitled "Re-set Trip". When I press the icon, it brings up the trip computer. I then have to press the three-line menu icon on the screen to reveal a pop-up menu with five choices, one of which is "Reset". If I press "Reset", I get four options, one of which is "Reset Trip Data". If I press that, it will clear "timers, averages, distances etc.". Is this what DRTBYK meant by creating a shortcut to re-set the trip odometer? Can it be done with one touch? Can the shortcut be configured to re-set only the trip odometer and not all trip computer data? I feel like I've misunderstood, or missed something.
It can be done with one touch by setting the Shortcut "Setup" to Reset->Reset Trip Data->On.

You might read over my annotated Owner's Manual. There is an enhanced section on Shortcuts. Since Garmin is continuing to enhance the Montana, things can and do change - mostly for the better.
Quote:
The second question on shortcuts is more general. If I select: "Setup/Shortcuts/Create Shortcut", I'm presented with up to six fields that I can manipulate (Name; Icon; Profile; Setup; Where To?; and, Application). To this point, in creating shortcuts, I've only used the first four of those six fields. Given that my shortcuts seem to work (except perhaps "Re-set Trip" above), I'm assuming I correctly concluded that I need not complete all six fields for each shortcut. I have questions then about the remaining two fields, Where To? and Application. If I select "Application", I can create a one-button shortcut to any of those applications, correct? If I decide to do this, do I just ignore "Setup" and "Where To?" Finally, I have to admit that I seem to have a mental block when it comes to the "Where To?" field. I can't for the life of me figure out what this is for (and I've read DRTBYK's annotated Owner's Manual too). Can anyone help me understand why I'd use "Where To?" in a shortcut? And if I did, would I ignore the "Setup" field and the "Application" field?

Hopefully that's not too confusing.
See my Owner's Manual link above. It will answer you questions I believe.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #1504
marco polo
Studly Adventurer
 
marco polo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Alexandria VA and Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It can be done with one touch by setting the Shortcut "Setup" to Reset->Reset Trip Data->On.

You might read over my annotated Owner's Manual. There is an enhanced section on Shortcuts. Since Garmin is continuing to enhance the Montana, things can and do change - mostly for the better.

See my Owner's Manual link above. It will answer you questions I believe.
D'Oh, the one-touch setup was easy, though it's all trip data I guess, and not just the trip odometer.

As for the Annotated Owner's Manual, I had already read that, Dan, but still had some kind of mental block with regard to those aspects of Shortcuts I mentioned. Maybe I'll let the brain swelling subside and try it again.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #1505
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
I am trying to get my hands on a Montana and a 78 so I can learn enough to help my customers who buy them...
This quote was taken from another Montana topic but I think this is the place for my observation:

Speaking of Montana and 78/62 models: I was struck by how much clearer the screen is on my Montana, even with a Garmin screen protector on it, compared to my 62S with the exact same map on screen. In the picture below I had both at full illumination, and was outside on a gloomy day, and the Montana was far easier to see. Even with the Montana backlight off, I found it easier to see than the 62 with backlight on.

And at the same zoom level, it was just amazing how much more was on the screen on the Montana. The comparison was like a postage stamp vs a, well, a Garmin Montana.

I will keep my 62S around to use while Geocaching but the difference was dramatic to me. But I'd have to wonder why anyone would choose a 62/78 over a Montana, aside from the initial cost, which is not that far apart.

__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1506
jruh
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 63
Emmbeedee, off topic but I recognize every spot on that map. Do you live in Pierces Corners?
jruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #1507
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
Emmbeedee, off topic but I recognize every spot on that map. Do you live in Pierces Corners?
Um, perhaps. How do you know it?
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #1508
jruh
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 63
I grew up one concession over, Mackey Road.
jruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #1509
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
D'Oh, the one-touch setup was easy, though it's all trip data I guess, and not just the trip odometer.

As for the Annotated Owner's Manual, I had already read that, Dan, but still had some kind of mental block with regard to those aspects of Shortcuts I mentioned. Maybe I'll let the brain swelling subside and try it again.


Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #1510
marco polo
Studly Adventurer
 
marco polo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Alexandria VA and Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post


Cheers,
I think I've been over-thinking this. For shortcuts all I need to do is select from either a Setup item, an Application, or Where To? That said, I'm still a little fuzzy as to how Where To? might be used (as an App) in conjunction with Application to give more options. I'll play with it some more.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #1511
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I think I've been over-thinking this. For shortcuts all I need to do is select from either a Setup item, an Application, or Where To? That said, I'm still a little fuzzy as to how Where To? might be used (as an App) in conjunction with Application to give more options. I'll play with it some more.
In the case of Shortcut's, Where To? only has the option of selecting a Waypoint. Where as Where To? as an application presents you with all of the Where To? search options.

The real power of Shortcuts is in the combination of the Profile, Setup, Where To? and Application. For example, I have a shortcut that starts a special Profile, sets 6 Settings that I don't want set in the Profile and then jumps to the Map page.

Cheers,
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #1512
TowPro
Healing time Sucks
 
TowPro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Compass PA
Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
I think I've been over-thinking this. For shortcuts all I need to do is select from either a Setup item, an Application, or Where To? That said, I'm still a little fuzzy as to how Where To? might be used (as an App) in conjunction with Application to give more options. I'll play with it some more.
what helped me was to see what steps were involved when your doing something from the menus by hand.
remember the steps, then when making the short cut, you are picking those same steps from the shortcut menu.
Make sense?
__________________
2014 R1200GS - My Naked Street Touring Bike
2000 KTM LC4 640 E - For everything else
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #1513
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruh View Post
I grew up one concession over, Mackey Road.
ROTFL!

Small world!
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #1514
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the road to South America
Oddometer: 1,546
I'm sure there's a logical explanation - can somebody tell me why they North pointers are pointing in different directions? Everything else looks in sync.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
__________________
Super Tenere news and reviews
http://supertenere1200.com
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #1515
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I'm sure there's a logical explanation - can somebody tell me why they North pointers are pointing in different directions? Everything else looks in sync.
The map screens are not in sync. The North pointers are accurate.

Those are Open Street Maps, by the way. I really like those maps.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 05:32 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014