ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 169 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1771
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post
My Montana didn't come on when I put it in the mount and after investigation I found the center pin in the mount was depressed and not springing back. It had somehow gotten stuck in the depressed position and I couldn't get it to spring back, which effectively rendered the mount useless for charging. I'll keep it for a mount only option, I guess. Is there a way to disconnect the cable from the mount without just cutting it off?
why not call Garmin and tell them of the problem. They should replace it for you.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #1772
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13
My Montana didn't come on when I put it in the mount and after investigation I found the center pin in the mount was depressed and not springing back. It had somehow gotten stuck in the depressed position and I couldn't get it to spring back, which effectively rendered the mount useless for charging. I'll keep it for a mount only option, I guess. Is there a way to disconnect the cable from the mount without just cutting it off?
Absolutely call Product Support and request a replacement. The pin-base is part of the Cable which is attached to the Mount with two T6 screws - it can be removed easily. Have Garmin replace the Cable or complete mount - whatever they choose.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #1773
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

This is my Feature Request list "open items" for the Montana. If you like/want any of these and haven't expressed it to the Montana Team please do so. If you have others...?

Feature & Description
  1. Four Corner - Transparent Data Fields. Please provide an additional Dashboard option for Small (1/3 smaller than the current "Small") Transparent-background, Configurable Data fields in the four corners of the Map screen similar to the zumo 660's More Map View or the GPSMAP 478.
  2. Track Manager - Options. Provide a Setting tab option on the main Track Manager screen to: "Show All Tracks on Map", "Hide All Tracks on Map", "Delete All Tracks".
  3. Waypoint Categories. Support Waypoint Categories
  4. Waypoint Contact Info. Support Waypoint Contact Info Fields (Street Address, City, State, ZIP, Country, Phone #'s)
  5. Display - Screen Capture. Save Screen Capture setting in Profile
  6. Where To? Search - Along Active Route. When navigating; Option to search "Along Active Route"
  7. Power Management - Option. Keep unit on when External Power is lost as a Profile setting.
  8. Multiple Trip Odometers. Multiple Independently resettable Trip Odometers
  9. TracBack - Shortcut. One touch shortcut for TracBack
  10. Camera Settings. Provide Camera settings (Resolution and Storage Location) as part of the Profile data.
  11. Save Current Track Shortcut option. Provide a Shortcut Setting for Track - Save Current Track. Allow this setting to be combined with Clear Current Track as part of a "Save and Clear" Shortcut.
  12. Track - "Show on Map". Please save the Track "Show on Map" selection in the GPX data so that when a Track is shared with other GPS it will show on the Map as defined in the GPX data - just like Color selection is saved.
  13. Shortcut "Setup" - Indicate Option(s). Indicate the Setup Options applied to a Shortcut using # and Alfa combo for each option selected.
  14. Resettable Odometer. A Shortcut / Reset option to reset the Odometer without having to preform a Master Reset. (dacrazyrn)
  15. Data field for voltage from Mount.
  16. Display setting to allow Topo data to be hidden, showing Major and/or Minor topo lines at greater than specified zoom level.
  17. Track Manager/Route Planner - please add the ability to "sort by Alphanumeric" to these data lists too. (Waypoint sort added in v4.20)
  18. Security Lock: "PIN" code and location support.
  19. Route Edit - Make all Routes on the Montana Editable whether created on or transferred to the Montana editable.
  20. Zoom Levels: Add a setting to Settings -> MAP -> Advanced Setup -> Zoom Levels, for Custom POI's. This would separate Zoom levels for User Waypoints and Custom POI's.

By the way, I have a spreadsheet where I track these and what version they were provided in (if any).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 08:17 AM
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #1774
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This is my Feature Request list "open items" for the Montana. If you like/want any of these and haven't expressed it to the Montana Team please do so. If you have others...?

Cheers,
14. Resettable ODOMETER
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #1775
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
14. Resettable ODOMETER
Yes. I had forgotten about that one. But, one has to be explicit since the ODOMETER is "resettable" already. It's just that you have to do a Master Reset of all data to do it. What you're asking for (I presume) is a Shortcut or Reset options to reset "just" the Odometer.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #1776
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,014
Updated my Montana to the latest firmware today and took it out on a ride with me. The screen was going crazy and swapping from land scape to portrait, upside down....back to land scape etc. Removed the unit from the rugged mount and did a screen calibration as well as a compass cal. No luck, screen is still bouncing all over the place when moving. Anyone else have this issue? It was working perfectly before the last update.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #1777
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Updated my Montana to the latest firmware today and took it out on a ride with me. The screen was going crazy and swapping from land scape to portrait, upside down....back to land scape etc. Removed the unit from the rugged mount and did a screen calibration as well as a compass cal. No luck, screen is still bouncing all over the place when moving. Anyone else have this issue? It was working perfectly before the last update.

Hodakaguy
You need to go to Setup, Display and lock the orientation to stop that happening. I think it's a coincidence that this is happening after the update. Is the gps at the same angle as before, on the bike?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #1778
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You need to go to Setup, Display and lock the orientation to stop that happening. I think it's a coincidence that this is happening after the update. Is the gps at the same angle as before, on the bike?
Thanks I'll try that, Same exact position and mount on the bike and never had a issue until today after the update.

Hodakaguy
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #1779
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Thanks I'll try that, Same exact position and mount on the bike and never had a issue until today after the update.

Hodakaguy
Maybe you changed Profile to one where the display is not locked, or the update itself changed the setting. Anyway, it's not terminal and locking the display is easy.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #1780
Hodakaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Maybe you changed Profile to one where the display is not locked, or the update itself changed the setting. Anyway, it's not terminal and locking the display is easy.
Never have ran with the display locked before, but that's a easy solution to the problem. Also got a unsuported battery alarm today telling me to only use Garmin batteries...weird.

Thanks

Hodakaguy
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #1781
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Never have ran with the display locked before, but that's a easy solution to the problem. Also got a unsuported battery alarm today telling me to only use Garmin batteries...weird.

Thanks

Hodakaguy
I stuck a foam earplug into the battery compartment, between the battery and the cover, to stop that warning. The battery tends to vibrate and lose contact, otherwise.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #1782
rritterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Got out and used my Montana for the first time today. Overall, a fabulous addition to the bike! I've been somewhat anti-GPS because it makes people stare at a screen instead of the road, and learn a device instead of the local layout, but now I'm converted. A few questions popped up when I was using it:

-I have a subscription to the birdseye TOPO maps. I was under the impression that the TOPO 24K maps are now routable, but the ones I have via the subscription are not. Are they different, or was my impression wrong?
-The topo maps will not show up when I'm set up in a profile based off the built-in 'Motorcycle' profile, but will show up when set to 'recreation'. I presumed it was because the topo maps can't show at the angle the city nav maps do when in 'automotive' mode (the isometric perspective), but even when I changed it to display as 'track up', it still didn't show them. What is the specific feature difference between the two profiles that allows the TOPO maps to show? As an aside, in the motorcycle profile, if I go to map setup and check what maps are enabled, the TOPO maps show up as "}$", but when in recreational, they show up with the full name and file name, as expected.

Regardless, I want to be able to show as automotive mode when on-road, and topo maps when off-road, and switch back and forth during dual sport riding. I created two shortcuts that change to the respective profiles and switch to the map app, then set the power key to the opposite shortcut for each profile I use. So, now, when I'm in on-road and automotive mode, it shows the isometric perspective, without displaying my track. I can tap the power key and it will switch to a birdseye view, with a topo map overlay, and my track. A push of the power button again switches me back. It'll even keep navigating if I'm headed toward a destination. I thought I'd share that in case anyone else uses two profiles back and forth that way. Profiles and shortcuts really are a powerful way to setup the device just how you want it.
rritterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #1783
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rritterson View Post
Got out and used my Montana for the first time today. Overall, a fabulous addition to the bike! I've been somewhat anti-GPS because it makes people stare at a screen instead of the road, and learn a device instead of the local layout, but now I'm converted. A few questions popped up when I was using it:

-I have a subscription to the birdseye TOPO maps. I was under the impression that the TOPO 24K maps are now routable, but the ones I have via the subscription are not. Are they different, or was my impression wrong?
-The topo maps will not show up when I'm set up in a profile based off the built-in 'Motorcycle' profile, but will show up when set to 'recreation'. I presumed it was because the topo maps can't show at the angle the city nav maps do when in 'automotive' mode (the isometric perspective), but even when I changed it to display as 'track up', it still didn't show them. What is the specific feature difference between the two profiles that allows the TOPO maps to show? As an aside, in the motorcycle profile, if I go to map setup and check what maps are enabled, the TOPO maps show up as "}$", but when in recreational, they show up with the full name and file name, as expected.

Regardless, I want to be able to show as automotive mode when on-road, and topo maps when off-road, and switch back and forth during dual sport riding. I created two shortcuts that change to the respective profiles and switch to the map app, then set the power key to the opposite shortcut for each profile I use. So, now, when I'm in on-road and automotive mode, it shows the isometric perspective, without displaying my track. I can tap the power key and it will switch to a birdseye view, with a topo map overlay, and my track. A push of the power button again switches me back. It'll even keep navigating if I'm headed toward a destination. I thought I'd share that in case anyone else uses two profiles back and forth that way. Profiles and shortcuts really are a powerful way to setup the device just how you want it.
BirdsEye Topo's are Imagery. They are not vector maps like the US 24K Topo's are - hence, no routing. I personally don't find them very useful: YMMV.

As you discovered they do not show when in Automotive Mode due to the 3D map view. The BirdsEye Topo's don't have DEM data. But, your BaseMap does so you'll be OK for Track recording, etc.

Yep, Shortcuts are great.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #1784
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 726
Another nice feature I'd like to see added to the feature list:

15. Data field for current battery voltage (used when wired direct to DC source)
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #1785
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

OK. Since this is only applicable when the Montana is in a Powered Mount, I added that to the description. If you had something else in mind let me know and I'll change it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS