ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #2146
kbroderick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Speaking of editing TYP files, does anyone know of good tutorials to go from GIS data to routable map?

Based on the existence of the (quite useful) OSM maps, I assume the technical hurdles in doing so are surmountable. The state of Vermont is kind enough to provide (via VCGI) lots of useful data, including a GIS layer with all the class 4 roads and legal trails (as well as higher-class roads) in the state. I'd like to have that as a routing option for my GPS, but I'm not even sure where to begin.

Anyone have pointers?
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #2147
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
You can use TYP-files to change many things on the map. ...
I use TYP files for my own custom maps that I make from my off-road tracklogs (using MapEdit, cGPSmapper, etc) but I wasn't aware that you could override Garmin's built-in defaults with custom TYPs. I'll have to check into that.

My problem is solved for the short term by following Emmbeedee's suggestion to add OSM maps. I've done that and it's good but I'd rather use City Navigator long term.

Thanks
Bob
BobM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #2148
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Speaking of editing TYP files, does anyone know of good tutorials to go from GIS data to routable map?
They talk very generally about the process here:
http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_cotopo.html

At the bottom of the page:
Several software applications are used, the main ones being GlobalMapper, which is used for the majority of data manipulation/configuration and cGPSmapper, which is used to compile the data into a Garmin map file.

Edited to add:
Check out the Vermont maps on GPSFileDepot:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/vt
Your work may already be done for you
------------------------------
I've also seen a typ file editor mentioned somewhere on GPSFileDepot or GPSVisualizer pages, but don't have the reference at hand just now.
-----------------------------
Another edit to add:
Here's a web based one that I used to make one map:
http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi
----------------------------
Last edit, I promise:
makeTyp for Mac:
http://emerald-island.eu/wikka/MakeTyp
Maybe not full-featured.

ramz screwed with this post 02-14-2012 at 11:39 AM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #2149
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Do you know of a TYP file editor for the Mac?

Cheers,
Looks like one here (not tested).

Doesn't this work on mac?
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2150
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
Looks like one here (not tested).

Doesn't this work on mac?
Thanks for the links - I've used the online editor but want to edit CNNA TYP file and it's currently to large for his editor. Nice editor if your TYP file is <3K.

Haven't been able to access the other site but will work on it.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #2151
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,100
Quote:
Dave,

I don't know that anyone has ever had that problem on a Montana either. You've already updated your Montana so no point in doing it again but next time you want to update here is what I suggest you try:
  1. Remove your microSD card from the unit.
  2. Power on unit and Delete all of your data (assuming you have it saved on your computer or in BaseCamp).
  3. Set Montana Profile to Recreation.
  4. Power off Montana.
  5. Master Reset the Montana: Press-and-hold upper left hand corner while powering on. Reply YES to message.
  6. Power unit off at the Language Setup Screen.
  7. Connect unit to your computer.
  8. Once Montana USB storage is mounted run WebUpdater.
  9. When directed to do so, disconnect unit from computer and let it restart.
  10. You will need to press English for the setup screen.
  11. Change Profile back to your normally use Profile.
  12. Check that you have no data on the Montana
  13. Power off and replace your microSD card.
  14. Power back on and make sure you still have no data.
  15. If you do have data, it was on the microSD card all along and that is where you are getting duplicate's: You're saving to internal storage and to your microSD Card.

Always worked for me.
Howdy Dan,

Hummmmm, I have always just hooked the GPS up to the computer and then did the up date, seems like the old simple way won't work with the new fangled do-dad. I'll give your method a try next time I have to up date it.

I now in southern California on my way to a sidecar rally in Arizona, net access is pretty slim here and where I am going , thanks for getting back to me.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #2152
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Are you saying you're having this shutdown issue with v3.90 installed? Are you using the factory Lithium Battery and is it secure?

Cheers,
I just installed 3.90 so I don't know yet. Yes, the factory battery has been there from day one, yes it's secure.....best I can tell.
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #2153
rangecon1976
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Question Another question

OK heres another one,

I am going to buy a montana 600 or 650 my question is which style of map should I purchase SD card or DVD. I want to be able to look at Trans america trail (TAT) hard maps and put them into the computer and then into the garmin montana.

Also could somebody clarify, does the city navigator map show rural roads?? I am trying to find the cheapest set of garmin maps for the TAT from Tennessee to Oklahoma and dont want to buy 3 different 24k topos (too much $$). If the city navigator will work that looks like the cheapest option, as long as I can load tracks onto it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Dave

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #2154
briansoren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
I just installed 3.90 so I don't know yet. Yes, the factory battery has been there from day one, yes it's secure.....best I can tell.

Have you tried this to be sure the battery isn't the problem? The battery on mine looked tight but still hard the same problem you are until I taped it.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1274
briansoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #2155
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangecon1976 View Post
OK heres another one,

I am going to buy a montana 600 or 650 my question is which style of map should I purchase SD card or DVD. I want to be able to look at Trans america trail (TAT) hard maps and put them into the computer and then into the garmin montana.

Also could somebody clarify, does the city navigator map show rural roads?? I am trying to find the cheapest set of garmin maps for the TAT from Tennessee to Oklahoma and dont want to buy 3 different 24k topos (too much $$). If the city navigator will work that looks like the cheapest option, as long as I can load tracks onto it.

Thanks ahead of time.

Dave
Yes, the City Navigator maps should be fine for the TAT. They'll likely have 99% of the roads as the Topo series and are 10x easier to read on the GPS.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #2156
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,169
If you choose the City Navigator maps, most deffinitly get them on the DVD. The SD card version is non-updateable. The DVD version will install the most recent update, then you can opt to purchase the lifetime update for it afterwards if you want to keep it current.

Not sure on the US topo maps, but the Canada Topos are non updateable, so if the SD card is easier, then I don't see any issue with it for those. I still prefer to have the DVD version and load it to my own cards.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #2157
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Thanks for the links - I've used the online editor but want to edit CNNA TYP file and it's currently to large for his editor. Nice editor if your TYP file is <3K.

Haven't been able to access the other site but will work on it.

Cheers,
Here you have a bunch of typ-files to start from (read the included textfile).
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #2158
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 628
OK, now I've spent some time with the Montana, and have put together a couple of custom profiles, thanks to DRTBYK Dan. Thanks again, Dan!
So I have a couple questions now. Is it possible to create a shortcut to toggle map zoom levels out to get the "Big Picture", then back to local levels for navigating off-road tracks? If not, then that sure goes on my "Wish List".
Also, is there any way to remove the Euro Birdseye maps on the unit, to reduce the clutter in Map Select?
Still struggling with Basecamp, but so far I've loaded Tracks and Waypoints onto the Montana with Mapsource, and have not encountered any problems yet.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #2159
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
OK, now I've spent some time with the Montana, and have put together a couple of custom profiles, thanks to DRTBYK Dan. Thanks again, Dan!
So I have a couple questions now. Is it possible to create a shortcut to toggle map zoom levels out to get the "Big Picture", then back to local levels for navigating off-road tracks? If not, then that sure goes on my "Wish List".
Also, is there any way to remove the Euro Birdseye maps on the unit, to reduce the clutter in Map Select?
Still struggling with Basecamp, but so far I've loaded Tracks and Waypoints onto the Montana with Mapsource, and have not encountered any problems yet.
You're welcome Ron. There are no Shortcut setup options for Map Zoom Levels. But it doesn't take that much effort to just press and hold the zoom-out (-) and zoom-in (+) buttons on the screen(?).

You can delete the Imagery anytime you wish. Just connect your Montana to your computer and open the Montana\Garmin\BirdsEye folder and delete the JNX files you don't want - done. You can also do this through BaseCamp by selecting the Montana internal storage and then delete the imagery in the My Garmin Devices: Montana My Collection and delete the BirdsEye imagery in the list.

The best approach to learning BaseCamp is to forget about MapSource - period. Then treat BaseCamp like a new unknown application. Learn the basics (there's video tutorials now under the "Help") then jump in.

Have fun...

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #2160
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 628
Thanks for the quick reply, Dan! The Zoom shortcut might seem a bit much, but some of the off-road rides I've been on require the map to be WAY zoomed-in to follow the track through multiple trail intersections in the desert, and it's nice to take a bigger look around when you're traveling through the Big Nowhere, just to see when you actually reach the middle.
Most of the other guys use 2 gps units just for that reason, one zoomed in for following the track, the other zoomed out for perspective.