ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #2431
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
A beta release is of software is assumed to have bugs. I don't care if its Garmin or any other company. Lots of people mistake "beta" version to mean they just got the "new" version. They release it to test it so the bugs can be discovered and removed before it is released to the public. Typically a piece of software will go from Beta to Release Candidate before the final version is released to the public.
Anything released to the public should not "brick" one's GPS. These guys know better, but they simply don't care. There's no excuse for what Garmin has done and continues to do. I've been a professional software developer for 20 years. I'm familiar with the concept of Beta software.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #2432
spyderryder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Searched Google and the thread and can't find my answer. Just did 3 days on the snow in northern Maine and the Monatana was awesome. We had 3 along on the ride. However, each of us was frustrated that when we stopped, the map would jump around to different directions, it would not lock in the direction of travel. We were running north up or automotive mode for the display. Is this normal?
spyderryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #2433
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
This was in reply to an earlier post but it looks resolved now. Yes take out the SD card in case it gets corrupted, and it should help the device to boot up if it has conflicting files on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 03-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #2434
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckin_futs View Post
Thanks Jon_PDX, That worked
You're welcome.....

Jon...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #2435
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Holding the power button down did get it into USB mode. I then re-installed v3.90 with WebUpdater. All seemed normal. I then ejected the device (only Micro SD card showed up in Finder). When I tried to power it up, it went blank again, after about 10 secs. I tried it twice; same results.

Should I remove the Micro SD card, then try again?

Answered my own question; took the SD card out; ran WebUpdater again and still did the same -- crashing about 10 secs, or so, after I power it up.

Any more suggestions?
Just spoke to Garmin Tech Support this morning. They were well aware of the problem. They will exchange my Montana for a new unit. Here in Canada, that means sending it to their support centre just outside Montreal (Garmin sent them an e-mail, with a copy to me, directing them to supply me with a new unit in exchange).

I think I've learned a lesson about Beta firmware.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #2436
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderryder View Post
Searched Google and the thread and can't find my answer. Just did 3 days on the snow in northern Maine and the Monatana was awesome. We had 3 along on the ride. However, each of us was frustrated that when we stopped, the map would jump around to different directions, it would not lock in the direction of travel. We were running north up or automotive mode for the display. Is this normal?
The Montana's seem to have an inordinate amount of "drift" when stationary. But, since you are in North Up & Automotive Mode the map should not be flipping around - just your cursor. In Track Up, the map will be flipping around when you are stationary - as you would expect.

As one reference point, on my Montana in North Up the map does not flip around - just the cursor.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #2437
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Just spoke to Garmin Tech Support this morning. They were well aware of the problem. They will exchange my Montana for a new unit. Here in Canada, that means sending it to their support centre just outside Montreal (Garmin sent them an e-mail, with a copy to me, directing them to supply me with a new unit in exchange).

I think I've learned a lesson about Beta firmware.

That is the same place Garmin referred me to for a unit exchange regarding the " unsupported battery issue". I had to contact them first and nobody would answer the phone, return a message or respond to an email. I finally gave up and wrapped the battery in electrical tape.

I sincerely hope you get better service than I did.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #2438
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
That is the same place Garmin referred me to for a unit exchange regarding the " unsupported battery issue". I had to contact them first and nobody would answer the phone, return a message or respond to an email. I finally gave up and wrapped the battery in electrical tape.

I've had at least four exchange gps units with Raytech and they have always been prompt and courteous with me. And I didn't even have to revert to my mother tongue, French, with them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #2439
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post

We're both talking about Raytech, and yes I've dealt with them before (several years ago) concerning my 276C. At that time, the service was very good. They responded to phone calls, and did what they said they would without any fuss and quickly too. Guess we'll see what happens this time.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #2440
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Just Took The Leap

Just took the leap & ordered a Montana 650 @ $499.95cdn from GPSCITY, I am hoping this wasn't a mistake with some of the troubles I see people are having...time will tell.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #2441
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Just took the leap & ordered a Montana 650 @ $499.95cdn from GPSCITY, I am hoping this wasn't a mistake with some of the troubles I see people are having...time will tell.

I wouldn't sweat it at all, especially the discussion of troubles related to installing Beta versions of the unit's firmware. Just stick to the official release firmware (check it online with Garmin's WebUpdater) and you should be fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #2442
spyderryder
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana's seem to have an inordinate amount of "drift" when stationary. But, since you are in North Up & Automotive Mode the map should not be flipping around - just your cursor. In Track Up, the map will be flipping around when you are stationary - as you would expect.

As one reference point, on my Montana in North Up the map does not flip around - just the cursor.

Cheers,
Oops, meant track up. Seems strange to me. Don't remember my Zumo or a 378 doing the flips on track up when stationary
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #2443
spyderryder
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Cheers,
Would WAAS reduce the drift and the flips?
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #2444
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderryder View Post
Would WAAS reduce the drift and the flips?
Other GPS's used something called Pinning to prevent jumps while sitting still.

But I thought automotive was track up, and north up was just that. Mine is out on the bike so I can't look at it right now.
Something else I miss from my Delorme is when you zoomed out to a certain point, it always switched to north up.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #2445
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
... Something else I miss from my Delorme is when you zoomed out to a certain point, it always switched to north up.
The Garmin 60CSx was the same. It had an additional setting when you selected between North Up or Track Up. With Track Up you then specify the Zoom Level at which the change takes place. Zoom in closer and you are in Track Up, Zoom Out and you have North Up.

I relied on this setting a lot and have requested Garmin to consider it for future release.

I have a simple principle with newer model GPS's. They should have EVERY feature of my existing one, plus more :-)
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote