ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #3256
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I've been sending in bug reports about editing downloaded routes so I just thought this is how they decided to "fix" it
The response I received from the Montana Team regarding Route Edit:
GPX autoroutes, are imported as-is, but we do not allow editing on the unit.
GPX direct routes, can be calculated on the unit, and can be edited on the unit.

Eventually we may extend both sets of features to both types of route, but for now it does not.
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #3257
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
GPX autoroutes, are imported as-is, but we do not allow editing on the unit.
As of 4.03, this is true. Before, you could edit, it just wouldn't recalculate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
GPX direct routes, can be calculated on the unit, and can be edited on the unit.
I thought I tried this but I'll recheck. My xml edit basically did this but I believe only after changing the creator too.

For now, I'm off for a ride before it starts raining

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #3258
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Diving into the route.gpx file a bit I found that if I rename the "creator" attribute from "Garmin Desktop App" to "Montana 600" and remove the node "tcp:Trip" then the montana thinks I've created the route on the Montana and you have full edit capability as well as options like "Reverse Route"

Looking at a route I created in Basecamp, I found a node called "trp:Trip" but not one called "tcp:Trip"

Was this a typo?

Also, do I remove everything between and including the two "trp:Trip" 's? As in:

"trp:Trip"
"trp:TransportationMode......Automotive.......trp:T ransportationMode"

(Quotes and ellipsis substituted for arrow signs due to forum HTML coding)

Thanks.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #3259
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,080
Beta version 4.03 worked beautifully for me all day. Didn't lock up once, and map scrolling has certainly improved. I was flipping around between profiles via my shortcuts and it was always fast and reliable.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #3260
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Looking at a route I created in Basecamp, I found a node called "trp:Trip" but not one called "tcp:Trip"

Was this a typo?

Also, do I remove everything between and including the two "trp:Trip" 's? As in:

"trp:TransportationMode......Automotive.......trp:T ransportationMode"

(Quotes and ellipsis substituted for arrow signs due to forum HTML coding)

Thanks.
yeah - must have been typing too fast

and yes, remove the everything between the "trp:Trip" and "/trp:Trip"

Moto-Treks
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #3261
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
Hey TS, I'm based in Athens, if you need any help during your days in Greece let me know

John
Hi there and thanks, I will be staying up north though, and cruising through, sorry. I need to get some visas sorted out and while I wait for my passport I will play in the alps ;)

Cheers TS
Old 05-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #3262
moto-treks
Back Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Beta version 4.03 worked beautifully for me all day. Didn't lock up once, and map scrolling has certainly improved. I was flipping around between profiles via my shortcuts and it was always fast and reliable.
Worked well for me too however I didn't have the road hazards avoidance turned on so it didn't warn me about this

Moto-Treks
Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #3263
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 245
Hi guys...I've got a question...Montana 600 v3.90

I'm planning a trip from San Diego to Mt.Hood area and I inputted a few places that I wanted to hit up. Most of these places are on FS dirt roads which should be on my 100k USGS topo maps I just paid $100 for through Garmin.

Anyway, I made this certain spot a waypoint (Bennett Pass road) N45˚ 25.360 W 121˚47.252 and tried to calculate a route from my current location to this point. The unit starts to calculate and then comes back with an error claiming that there are no routable roads in this area.

Any ideas?
avocadofarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #3264
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
Hi guys...I've got a question...Montana 600 v3.90

I'm planning a trip from San Diego to Mt.Hood area and I inputted a few places that I wanted to hit up. Most of these places are on FS dirt roads which should be on my 100k USGS topo maps I just paid $100 for through Garmin.

Anyway, I made this certain spot a waypoint (Bennett Pass road) N45˚ 25.360 W 121˚47.252 and tried to calculate a route from my current location to this point. The unit starts to calculate and then comes back with an error claiming that there are no routable roads in this area.

Any ideas?

You are probably going to have to autoroute to the turn off of Hwy 35 at the Bennett Pass road, then create a short direct route to your site. The 100K topo does not autoroute on ALL the roads that it shows, and I don't know how to figure it out except by trying. My guess is that many dirt FS roads will not autoroute. Try this: Set up the route with a few via points and terminate it at a likely looking intersection. Save it (export) after checking the routing, then extend it closer to your spot and see if it autoroutes. If it does, save it again until it doesn't. Then make a separate direct route from that last good point to the chosen spot.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #3265
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman View Post
Hello everyone. I recently bought a Montana 600 and wondering if I should sell or keep my 276C. Can someone please answer the below question and has it been addressed (sorry if this has been talked about but this thread is over 200 pages). Thanks and cheers.
If you don't update the software from version 3.90 it likely came with, then it will recalculate routes created outside the gps. Get version 4.03 and it won't recalculate.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 AM   #3266
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocadofarmer View Post
...FS dirt roads which should be on my 100k USGS topo maps...
Any ideas?
100K topo aren't auto-routing, 24K are.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #3267
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
They know we're leaving for M9 on thursday.
Yea!
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #3268
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Worked well for me too however I didn't have the road hazards avoidance turned on so it didn't warn me about this

Ouch!!
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #3269
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
100K topo aren't auto-routing, 24K are.
Oops, I thought the newest 100K had autorouting.....I'm still using the original three CD version.

Now what I do is use CNNA 2012 for a route that I want autorouted, then switch maps to Topo to create an additional direct route for the back roads. What this ends up meaning most of the time is that I use CNNA in the truck hauling the bike to where I want to ride, then switch to Topo and direct routing for the ride, which is in the mount profile.

Edit:
Hmmm, I just tried a CNNA autoroute from Hood River to an intersection in the maze of FS roads in the Bennett Pass area, even via dashed road, and it did do it, although I had to edit it to get it to route where I expected. I've only had CNNA a couple of weeks, still learning its capabilities. I have been using Topo USA since 1996.

My feeling is that, in the boonies I'd rather be looking at a Topo map than CN, because it provides more awareness of drainage patterns, as well as more cultural POI's like mines. You do have to keep it zoomed in pretty far or it gets way too cluttered. On the computer, however, I do a lot of map changes while designing a route, and then choose a map and an activity for the final edit, depending on whether it's mostly dirt or mostly pavement.

I still have a lot to learn on the Montana, I'm just getting to the point where it doesn't surprise me too much.
(That's after some 50 hours reading this damn thread!)

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 07:45 AM
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #3270
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
You are probably going to have to autoroute to the turn off of Hwy 35 at the Bennett Pass road, then create a short direct route to your site. The 100K topo does not autoroute on ALL the roads that it shows, and I don't know how to figure it out except by trying. My guess is that many dirt FS roads will not autoroute. Try this: Set up the route with a few via points and terminate it at a likely looking intersection. Save it (export) after checking the routing, then extend it closer to your spot and see if it autoroutes. If it does, save it again until it doesn't. Then make a separate direct route from that last good point to the chosen spot.
Once the released v4.x (v4.0xbeta now) is available, avocadofarmer and the rest of us can create "mixed-routes" that contain both Along-road Routing and Direct Routing - but you'll need to learn the "secret" workflow in BaseCamp.

Since the Montana will NOT recalculate the mixed-route you have the best of both worlds - just remember to set Recalculation=OFF or Prompted before you want to navigate that route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 03:54 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote