ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #3346
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
If you're using the Nuvi Dashboard you can't see the Geocaches near you. But if you switch to the Geocaching Dashboard, you can. The way I choose to do this is to have a shortcut to a clone of the Automotive Profile, with Geocaching attributes applied to it, so that the right Dashboard shows up anytime I want it. Then, when I'm finished caching, I can use the Automotive Shortcut to take me back to the Automotive Profile with Nuvi Dashboard, etc.

This is my Montana in Automotive Profile:

The "Geocaching Mode" shortcut does not take me to the Montana's Geocaching app; instead it switches to the Geocaching Profile, and opens up the app from there.
Thank you, I will give that a go through some twisty mountain roads here in Bulgaria today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #3347
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Thank you, I will give that a go through some twisty mountain roads here in Bulgaria today :)
Here's a screen shot of the Geocaching Dashboard, with Topo maps enabled.

I find most of the time that all those cache icons take up too much screen so I turn them off through Setup/Maps/Advanced Setup/Zoom Levels/User Waypoints and choose "Off". That cleans up the screen nicely.

You could also use a close zoom setting instead of Off; that way the cache locations would only show on the screen when you're zoomed into that level or closer. I find the 2km zoom level is about right.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 04:49 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #3348
caver
Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
City Nav will solve the problem, but so will the OSM maps mentioned earlier.
The OSM maps won't have the POI's though, right?
.....too many years using my 276C and having to learn new stuff.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 AM   #3349
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by caver View Post
The OSM maps won't have the POI's though, right?
.....too many years using my 276C and having to learn new stuff.
No, the pois won't be there but with the Montana, it's not a matter of one map or the other - get both.

You can have an almost unlimited number of maps.

There's no reason why you can't get OSM maps and City Nav. I find OSM maps are beautiful on the screen and a lot of the time easier to view.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #3350
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
...Geocaching. Is there some way of riding along with the above AND have all the loaded Geocaches show up, so as I ride past I can see one over there about ten km or do and can choose to visit it or not?...
Cheers
TravellingStrom
I haven't used them, but couldn't proximity alarms be set up to accomplish this?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #3351
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I haven't used them, but couldn't proximity alarms be set up to accomplish this?
You'd have set an alarm for each cache unless you loaded the caches as Points of Interest with POILoader. You can't create a proximity alarm for a type of object, just a specific one.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-10-2012 at 07:55 AM
Old 05-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #3352
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Basecamp 3.3.3

Basecamp just came up with a new version....downloaded it, get to the accept conditions page, AND THERE IS NO BOX TO CHECK!! I can't complete the process, just have to Exit.

Nice move, basecamp team
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #3353
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Basecamp just came up with a new version....downloaded it, get to the accept conditions page, AND THERE IS NO BOX TO CHECK!! I can't complete the process, just have to Exit.

Nice move, basecamp team
The Windows-BC update is a maintenance release and has an install bug (you found it). It will most likely get an update (shortly). If you go to the Garmin Forum, I believe they have a workaround which requires you to edit the BC config file once the new version is installed.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #3354
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Windows-BC update is a maintenance release and has an install bug (you found it). It will most likely get an update (shortly). If you go to the Garmin Forum, I believe they have a workaround which requires you to edit the BC config file once the new version is installed.

Cheers,
worked for me (complete with check box) at 10:48 EST
Old 05-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #3355
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Here's a screen shot of the Geocaching Dashboard, with Topo maps enabled.

I find most of the time that all those cache icons take up too much screen so I turn them off through Setup/Maps/Advanced Setup/Zoom Levels/User Waypoints and choose "Off". That cleans up the screen nicely.

You could also use a close zoom setting instead of Off; that way the cache locations would only show on the screen when you're zoomed into that level or closer. I find the 2km zoom level is about right.
Thanks for the tips. I did not do too much playing with it, but the basic mode with geocache dash worked fine. But, because I have it in Automotive mode it does not really show them until i am close.

It is working though, and today was fine and I just switched to geocache app once off the bike, for the final hike or whatever with Direct mode.

It would be nice if it only showed me those caches ahead of me along my route though, instead of what is behind me.

I will work it out, but I need two devices, one to show me how tight and which way the corner is and the other to zoom out and see caches and pois in the area

Cheers
TS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
TravellingStrom
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #3356
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Shit.

I just got a pop-up announcing that nümaps Lifetime™ CNNA 2013.10 is available for download.

We're leaving tomorrow for M9. I think I'm gonna take a pass until we get back.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #3357
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 972
Quote:
I will work it out, but I need two devices, one to show me how tight and which way the corner is and the other to zoom out and see caches and pois in the area
This is why I kept my Oregon. Last summer I pioneered my Two GPS Setup, using the Oregon and an old Legend.

Now I'll be using the Montana with Canada Enhanced Basemap zoomed out to 5K level so I can see where I am relative to everything and set to NORTH UP. The secondary GPS, the Oregon will be running with Topo V4 zoomed in to about 500m so I can see the elevation changes, curves in the road etc and set to TRACK UP.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #3358
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I just got a pop-up announcing that nümaps Lifetime™ CNNA 2013.10 is available for download.

We're leaving tomorrow for M9. I think I'm gonna take a pass until we get back.
DON'T DO IT!!!! It's got issues (like it will install v2012.3 and disable older units potentially).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #3359
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As for the ruggedness of the zumo's, based on my personal experience, they are quite rugged.
Quite the opposite experience for me.

Last fall I set out for New England and the Maritime Provinces in Canada. I had 3 GPSs mounted -- at 60CSX for speed/odometer info since my bike's speedo did't work; a Nuvi 1490 zoomed out for a long view, and a Zumo 450 for everything else. It turned out to be 3 weeks of mostly torrential downpours. Since the Zumo and 60CSX were supposed to be relatively waterproof I left them alone and used an upside-down ziploc baggie over my Nuvi.

Even with the ziploc bag my $150 Nuvi took in some water; you could even see it under the screen. But, it never gave up and still works perfectly and is even dried out. My 60CSX performed flawlessly as it always has.

My Zumo, however, gave up the ghost about halfway through the trip and never recovered. I live near the Garmin Hqs in Olathe, KS. I knew for $175 or so the refurbished Zumos that weren't working properly. So, looking for an excuse for a ride, I rode down to their Customer Service office yesterday. The tech spent about an hour trying to revive the Zumo then gave me that bad news that it was too old a model to refurbish. So, it's toast.

Just ordered a new Montana 650 today.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #3360
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nata Harli View Post
The tech spent about an hour trying to revive the Zumo then gave me that bad news that it was too old a model to refurbish. So, it's toast.
Did he say what toasted it?

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote