ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #4096
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
It works!!!

This saves a step of having to install BC onto a host computer for emergency track repair while out in the field. I simply copied the BC app files from my PC into a folder on the SD card.
I was initially a bit skeptical, as most applications depend on files not in the primary program folder to function properly. I am happy to report that I have been successfully running BaseCamp (copied from a WinXP 32-bit PC) from my Garmin Montana uSD on a Win7 64-bit machine.

Thanks for the post!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #4097
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Great post!

Was this even possible without JaVaWa?
Yes, the previous post described another way to set the visibility using GMapTool.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #4098
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
So you have my perm to post to the wisdom thread, gulp...
Done - the latest post to the Wisdom and FAQ thread is yours.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #4099
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Thumb

Well, here is a big thumbs up top Garmin Europe : : :

I phoned the tech I had spoken with the other month, Mark, and I dropped the GPS off to him with the understanding originally that there is a standard 5 day turn around.

I got a phone call 5 hours later, come and pick up your new Montana, with the latest software AND it has all my original maps, my POIs and Waypoints, in fact it looks like I lost nothing, except the screen protector, but I have a spare one of those.

So, it was worthwhile stopping in town here for the day and I took it for a ride to Stonehenge and back, and it seems OK. The big test will be when I arrive into a major city ring road system as this is when it usually fails, the latest was when trying to get to England, it locked up 5 times near Antwerp and cost me an hour and 30km detours.

Anyway, the service could still be better, like what the US gets(pay extra, get the new one then get a refund when the old is sent back). But, I am very happy with the service here, extremely fast service, once again the magic words "World Traveller" has worked for me :)

Cheers from sunny/rainy old blighty
TravellingStrom

PS - It was not just the unit, I got a full boxed kit with an extra LI battery, charger and USB lead etc

***Well, an update, I just tried to import a few thousand Geocaches and install them to this new unit and the stupid BC failed and crashed yet again, how crap is this system, I think I will go back to mapsource and see if I can do something with that!!!!! ***

TravellingStrom screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 09:49 AM
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #4100
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
**Well, an update, I just tried to import a few thousand Geocaches and install them to this new unit and the stupid BC failed and crashed yet again, how crap is this system, I think I will go back to mapsource and see if I can do something with that!!!!! ***
Why do you need to "import Geocaches"? All you need to do is copy the gpx files into the right place on the gps. BC shouldn't even be necessary.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #4101
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
That was fixed in V4.10 - see this post.

There is a 50 waypoint limit for routes that use Follow Roads routing (i.e. all Activities except "Direct"), but that's the same for most Garmin GPS. I haven't found the upper limit of waypoints for Direct Routes but it's at least the same as the 60CSx (i.e. 250 waypoints).

Bob
True the crash at >50pts was fixed but with v4.20 the Montana just sits there if a Route does have more than 51pts (Via or Waypoints). At least mine will not activate a route with >51pts points. No error message - nothing. And, when the point count is >60 the likelihood that the unit will freeze is high.

So, yes, technically it's was fixed but in reality another problem was created.

For best results, don't use Routes with >51pts ( I haven't tested 52-60pts).

At least that is how my Montana is currently functioning in this context.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4102
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
The instability, issues and lack of responsiveness on fixes with the Montana and Oregon (and others?) makes me think Garmin should go open source on the coding for these devices. As it is, it makes me think there's maybe one guy that Garmin has chained to a desk who is trying to get it all done.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4103
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
The instability, issues and lack of responsiveness on fixes with the Montana and Oregon (and others?) makes me think Garmin should go open source on the coding for these devices. As it is, it makes me think there's maybe one guy that Garmin has chained to a desk who is trying to get it all done.
I think you exaggerate a little. I am not the least bit unhappy with my Montana, my wife's Montana, my 62S or her Oregon 550. They are all quality devices which admittedly could stand improvement, but they still satisfy me 90% of the time.

What company makes better gps units, and/or does better customer service?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #4104
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Just a hint of exaggeration, maybe. I do think they could use some help in the software development department. Last time I was out with my Montana I had several screen freezes. I almost returned the Oregon after dealing with 75 tracks that disappeared twice and had to be manually re-shown on the map. There are features lacking in both units. Both have been around for a while now. I can understand they wanted to rush the units out to get them in people's hands, but I would have liked them to be a little further developed.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #4105
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
Just a hint of exaggeration, maybe. I do think they could use some help in the software development department. Last time I was out with my Montana I had several screen freezes.
I haven't had a screen freeze in months now. Perhaps it's because I am very careful about my maps - I have many different maps on the Montana but I make sure to never have more than one enabled at any time. I did have a problem at one point when I was using an older combined mapset, an early Canada Top and Canada Enhanced Basemaps, the IMG having been created in the 60CSx era and that one kept causing weird lockups.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #4106
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Emmbeedee, In regards to the basecamp portability threads. Could you put those files onto a mini SD card that is installed in the Montana and use the Montana as a drive to open Basecamp? I hoped I worded that right to make sense!
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4107
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Emmbeedee, In regards to the basecamp portability threads. Could you put those files onto a mini SD card that is installed in the Montana and use the Montana as a drive to open Basecamp? I hoped I worded that right to make sense!
I think that's what dvwalker did. Looking at the screen shot, I'd bet on it.

In fact, it says so: 3. plug Montana into any Windows XP/7 PC and run BaseCamp.exe

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-21-2012 at 07:54 PM
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #4108
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
True the crash at >50pts was fixed but with v4.20 the Montana just sits there if a Route does have more than 51pts (Via or Waypoints). At least mine will not activate a route with >51pts points. No error message - nothing. And, when the point count is >60 the likelihood that the unit will freeze is high. ...
Are you querying the 50 point limit for auto-routing? As far as I remember, there's always been a 50 point limit. If you wanted to have more than 50 points in a route, you must ues Direct Routing (or split the into route sections with max 50 in each).

The 60CSx handled 50+ point routes better - if you chose Follow Road you bounced back to the selection screen for Follow Road or Off Road. I always have my GPS set on Prompted for Routing Method.

With the Montana, you could only run a 50+ point route if you pre-selected Direct. If you didn't you got the "50 point" error message. If you pre-selected Prompted, you still ended up at the eror.

Since V4.10, the Montana worked corectly when set to Prompted or Direct, and you get the 50+ eror if you were set to any Activity other than Direct (as they ALL use Follow Roads routing - but don't tell you that).

I consider this "Fixed" but it would be better if it gave you a second chance like the 60CSx (and presumably 276C, zumo's etc).

I doubt Garmin will be changing the 50 point limit for Follow Roads - that covers a HUGE route distance for most people. So far I've been able to load Direct Routes with up to 500 waypoints - more than I've ever used. My typical routes are about 200 waypoints.

Bob
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #4109
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Are you querying the 50 point limit for auto-routing? As far as I remember, there's always been a 50 point limit. If you wanted to have more than 50 points in a route, you must ues Direct Routing (or split the into route sections with max 50 in each).

. . .
Bob, Not a query, an observation. I understand the limits of the Montana and most other Garmin GPS's. The point I was attempting to make (feebly) was that there is no error message for Along-road Routes over 50pts. There use to be. Maybe it's just my Montana that's not working as it should.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #4110
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why do you need to "import Geocaches"? All you need to do is copy the gpx files into the right place on the gps. BC shouldn't even be necessary.

This is something I knew nothing about, but will look into it, thanks

Cheers
TS