ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 251 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #4561
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
An excellent question I can not answer with absolute certainty... I do not use BaseCamp to create routes, I do them directly on my Montana... Perhaps you can try one and see if it transfer properly, or if the Montana alters routing preferences and report back?

Working on it now. I will report back shortly.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #4562
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Preliminary test results:

I loaded up 2 routes from and to the same points. Both created in Basecamp; one with motorcycle profile (interstates ok, no dirt roads) and one with dualsport profile (no interstates, dirt roads ok). The motorcycle route followed the interstates as routed in Basecamp. The dualsport route created a completely different route than what I created in Basecamp. It did not follow interstates but it wasn't the route I created.

I think I just wasted a ton of time and effort creating my routes in Basecamp if the Montana is going to do something else with them.

woodsatyr screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 11:08 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #4563
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Preliminary test results:

I loaded up 2 routes from and to the same points. Both created in Basecamp; one with motorcycle profile (interstates ok, no dirt roads) and one with dualsport profile (no interstates, dirt roads ok). The motorcycle route followed the interstates as routed in Basecamp. The dualsport route created a completely different route than what I created in Basecamp. It did not follow interstates but it wasn't the route I created.

I think I just wasted a ton of time and effort creating my routes in Basecamp if the Montana is going to do something else with them.
For clarity, are you using the exact same maps in BaseCamp and the Montana for these routes?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #4564
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
For clarity, are you using the exact same maps in BaseCamp and the Montana for these routes?
Yes.

I get now. No matter what I do in Basecamp, Montana is going to do its own thing based on the profile settings in the Montana. So in order to deviate from that, I'll have to add in waypoints to force it to go where I want. This is really no big deal. It's doing what it's supposed to do. In the routes that I created for this test, I only had start and end points. In Basecamp, I just clicked out my route using the route tool. But the click points are NOT waypoints and therefore, when transferred into the Montana, they basically don't exist. If I want it to go to those click points, I need to create waypoints and add those to the route.

This is good. I'm learning and can now adjust my routes as needed.

woodsatyr screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 12:37 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #4565
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Did you change the profile in the Montana from the Automobile (with avoidance setups) to the "Dualsport" (Offroad with avoidance setups)? I am sure that would make a difference on the routes you created in Basecamp. The Montana is still going to do what YOU tell it to do, through those different profiles and setups, no matter what Basecamp profile you used.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4566
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Did you change the profile in the Montana from the Automobile (with avoidance setups) to the "Dualsport" (Offroad with avoidance setups)? I am sure that would make a difference on the routes you created in Basecamp. The Montana is still going to do what YOU tell it to do, through those different profiles and setups, no matter what Basecamp profile you used.
Yes, I think that's what I said above. I'm using Motorcycle and Dualsport profiles. Mtc avoids unpaved roads; dualsport avoids interstates. If my routes have ONLY start and end points, then the route calculates based on those settings (whichever profile I have "on"). If I want it to do something else, I have to add waypoints in between to tell it where I want it to go. What I've learned from all this is that just because you click a point in Basecamp to create a route, that doesn't mean that's the route you'll see on the montana UNLESS that click point is an actual waypoint. That's the part I didn't quite understand before. Now that I know that, I'm not having any trouble getting it to do what I want.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #4567
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Actually, in this case (maps being the same) as long as any "along-road" Activity is selected on the Montana, the route will not be recalculated and should display on the map as it was created in BaseCamp. Remember that Routes created outside of the Montana are not editable by the Montana; i.e, no Profile settings will effect the routing calculation - except having a Direct Routing Activity enabled.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #4568
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Actually, in this case (maps being the same) as long as any "along-road" Activity is selected on the Montana, the route will not be recalculated and should display on the map as it was created in BaseCamp. Remember that Routes created outside of the Montana are not editable by the Montana; i.e, no Profile settings will effect the routing calculation - except having a Direct Routing Activity enabled.

Cheers,

Hmmm. That's not how mine is working. If I go to route PointA_to_PointB and I'm in my motorcycle profile (as described above), it will route along the interstate. If I change the profile to dualsport (as described above), it will recalculate the route and route me away from interstates. Both profiles are "along road" routings. Each time I switch profiles, it recalculates based on the profile settings.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #4569
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,355
Quote:
Hmmm. That's not how mine is working. If I go to route PointA_to_PointB and I'm in my motorcycle profile (as described above), it will route along the interstate. If I change the profile to dualsport (as described above), it will recalculate the route and route me away from interstates. Both profiles are "along road" routings. Each time I switch profiles, it recalculates based on the profile settings.
They may both be "Along Road" but with different avoidances.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #4570
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
They may both be "Along Road" but with different avoidances.
That's exactly what they are. One avoids interstates and the other doesn't.

Perhaps I'm not understanding what DRTBYK was saying re: direct routing. I thought he said that no profile setting would change the calculation unless one was along road and the other was direct routing.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #4571
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Yes, if you create the route on the Montana your Avoidances will take priority. But, it appeared as though you were talking about a routing that you created in BaseCamp and how it was behaving on the Montana. If I got that wrong, sorry for the noise.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #4572
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yes, if you create the route on the Montana your Avoidances will take priority. But, it appeared as though you were talking about a routing that you created in BaseCamp and how it was behaving on the Montana. If I got that wrong, sorry for the noise.

Cheers,
No, you are correct. I created the route in Basecamp. I created 2 routes in Basecamp - one with mtc profile and one with ds profile. In Basecamp, the mtc one routed along the interstate, and the ds one not on interstates. When I transferred it to the Montana, it didn't work that way. It routed based on what I had profiles set to in the Montana. Even though the profiles in Basecamp are set to the same settings. That's when I realized that when I created the route in Basecamp, my only two waypoints were the start and finish. I didn't matter that I clicked here and there to get the route to go where I wanted it to go because those clicks weren't waypoints. It was just a click on a map. The "clicks" do NOT transfer to the Montana. So no matter which route that I created in Basecamp I used, it routes on the Montana according to my profile settings. I can take MTC_route and if my profile is set to mtc, it routes on the interstate. If I take that same route and change my profile, it will recalculate to avoid the interstate. Ditto DS_route. If I'm on mtc profile, it routes on the interstate. If I'm on DS profile, it routes off the interstate. There was no need for me to make 2 routes because once transferred to the Montana, they were exactly the same - PointA to PointB.

All my routes are created in Basecamp. Once transferred to the Montana, the routing will change based on my profile settings.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #4573
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
No, you are correct. I created the route in Basecamp. I created 2 routes in Basecamp - one with mtc profile and one with ds profile. In Basecamp, the mtc one routed along the interstate, and the ds one not on interstates. When I transferred it to the Montana, it didn't work that way. It routed based on what I had profiles set to in the Montana. Even though the profiles in Basecamp are set to the same settings. That's when I realized that when I created the route in Basecamp, my only two waypoints were the start and finish. I didn't matter that I clicked here and there to get the route to go where I wanted it to go because those clicks weren't waypoints. It was just a click on a map. The "clicks" do NOT transfer to the Montana. So no matter which route that I created in Basecamp I used, it routes on the Montana according to my profile settings. I can take MTC_route and if my profile is set to mtc, it routes on the interstate. If I take that same route and change my profile, it will recalculate to avoid the interstate. Ditto DS_route. If I'm on mtc profile, it routes on the interstate. If I'm on DS profile, it routes off the interstate. There was no need for me to make 2 routes because once transferred to the Montana, they were exactly the same - PointA to PointB.

All my routes are created in Basecamp. Once transferred to the Montana, the routing will change based on my profile settings.
I believe you are referring to shaping points here, which the Montana does not support, as of firmware 4.20.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #4574
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
I believe you are referring to shaping points here, which the Montana does not support, as of firmware 4.20.
Haha! Yeah, so I found out. Got it all under control now. A tweak here and there and I'm good to go. I have 22 routes for the trip - some are side trips or scenic options off the main one.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #4575
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
You've got to be fricking kidding me. You mean shaping points were supported and now they're not? I'm pretty sure I ran Mobius 9 with shaping points, routes made on BaseCamp and it worked fine. 4.20 was released after we returned. Now what, I have to generate waypoints and include those in routes if I want to force it to go a certain way? Or just trust that if I have the same profile / avoidance settings that it will be the same?

By the way, I don't think I have a "Dualsport" default profile on the Montana, and I definitely don't in BaseCamp 4.0.0.6 beta (Mac).
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote