ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #4741
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
WOW.....that's really cool looking!

I've read about others doing that but that is the first time I have seen the end result. Does it look the same on the Montana as it does in BaseCamp?

Guess I need to go back and read up on how you did that.

Jon...
yes it looks really good on the montana.
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #4742
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Are you using the layered JPG's with CustomMaps? If so, please explain how! Last time I checked, CustomMaps will not function with layered JPG's.
they are not layered jpgs. i had made two original maps, one with a white background and one with satellite in behind.

Now i am stoked to georef and tile google earth screen captures for the few forests that i have gpx trail files for. birds eye would be another option but i don't need imagery for most areas.
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #4743
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Delete all those duplicate maps except for the largest of each, using the file size to determine which to keep. After that, if you don't see all the maps accessible through the gps, my choice would be to reset the unit.
This was my thought process as well (deleting the maps), but that did not seem to help. I ended up deleting them all and re-installing, which did not help either, so I was really confused at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
Could he be exceeding the total number of map segments allowed for by the Montana?

I thought the Montana could have a maximum of 20 maps, but they couldn't exceed 4000 map segments in total.

daryl
At about 3am (yes I was up all night "googleing" (is that even a word now...)possible reasons why this was not working), I came across the maximum number of tiles issue. I checked the tiles on the device and sure enough there were about 3,700 for topo 100k, 162 for City Nav and about 1300 for topo 24k, so I was over the limit and I guess the device was just showing me what it could display based on that.

I ended up wiping everything and just installing topo 24k, just to see if it would read it, and it did. So I'm currently re-installing portions of those three maps with tiles totalling about 3,000. Once it's done I'll know for sure, but I'm hopeful.

One thing I did notice was that when istalling maps from Basecamp--->mapinstaller, if you choose the custom setup, and begin to choose individual tiles, the total number of tiles chosen for each map is shown in parentheses next to the individual maps. This is very helpful for calculating the total number of tiles being transferred to the device.

Anyway, I'll know more later today. Thanks for all the suggestions.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #4744
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
I checked the tiles on the device and sure enough there were about 3,700 for topo 100k, 162 for City Nav and about 1300 for topo 24k,
How did you do this? I've wondered how many tiles I have on my Montana maps....
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #4745
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
How did you do this? I've wondered how many tiles I have on my Montana maps....
Easiest way I know is using JaVaWa Device Manager.

The Software Page of the Montana Wiki has links to some other very useful software, if you are so inclined.

atlas cached screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 12:48 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #4746
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thats is what I used, seems to work great. A warning though, although I scanned the program using my anti-virus, I get a red flag pop-up when I execute the program, and my anti-virus blocks some aspect of the software. I know very little about the developer (so this may be a non-issue), but I'd make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #4747
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Thats is what I used, seems to work great. A warning though, although I scanned the program using my anti-virus, I get a red flag pop-up when I execute the program, and my anti-virus blocks some aspect of the software. I know very little about the developer (so this may be a non-issue), but I'd make sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

Good to know... I never have seen any warnings, yet. What AntiVirus are you using? I use both AVG and Kaspersky.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #4748
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
That was nice and easy. It found two errors and I fixed em (duplicate maps in two files).

Also, I'm not anywhere near the tile limit, whew.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #4749
Muramasa57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
City Navigator maps gone missing

Here's a problem I'm not sure if anybody has encountered. I have a Montana 600 with city navigator installed via the SD card in the battery compartment. All my maps have functioned flawlessly until now. I was driving south to Indianapolis when the navi froze up. Upon restarting it looks like my street map data for Indiana is randomly missing however surrounding states are still there. Has anybody else's sd card randomly corrupted causing them to lose their 80 something dollar maps?

Muramasa57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #4750
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muramasa57 View Post
Here's a problem I'm not sure if anybody has encountered. I have a Montana 600 with city navigator installed via the SD card in the battery compartment. All my maps have functioned flawlessly until now. I was driving south to Indianapolis when the navi froze up. Upon restarting it looks like my street map data for Indiana is randomly missing however surrounding states are still there. Has anybody else's sd card randomly corrupted causing them to lose their 80 something dollar maps?
]
Try a reset. It's not destructive, but should force the unit to refresh its caches of maps and other files.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #4751
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Good to know... I never have seen any warnings, yet. What AntiVirus are you using? I use both AVG and Kaspersky.
I use the latest Kaspersky Internet Suite.

Also, in case anyone was wondering, the issue I was having was a "tile count" problem. I simply had too many of them loaded. Once I brought the total count under 4000, the maps are reading fine from the SD card.

srad600 screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 10:14 PM
Old 08-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #4752
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,712
Hey fellas
on basecamp what does the activity profile change and which should i be using
thanks
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #4753
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
I don't seem to remember

seeing this behavior previously...

When setting the Zoom Level for "User Waypoints", the Montana considers my actual User Waypoints and what used to be called Custom POI's (on the Montana now called "Extras") to be the same.

Meaning if I load the POI-factory's "Free Wi-Fi" list (67K locations) onto the Montana using POI loader, and I have a few User Waypoints loaded, say "Saloons that I frequent" , the map (in a city) is completely obscured by the clutter of the Custom POI's (Free Wi-Fi). If I'm in a less densely populated area, and I want to pan out to get my bearings, again, way too cluttered with the Custom POI's.

On the 60/76 series, "User Waypoints" and user-loaded POI's are treated differently. You can set the zoom level of User Waypoints to be visible at 500 MILES resolution, but you won't see Custom POI's until you're zoomed in to 500ft or below (pre-set, not adjustable).

Anyone know a way around this? I want to see my WAYPOINTS when zoomed all the way out, and I don't want to see my POI's until I'm zoomed in close.

If not, can I make a motion to add it to the feature request list?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #4754
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
seeing this behavior previously...

When setting the Zoom Level for "User Waypoints", the Montana considers my actual User Waypoints and what used to be called Custom POI's (on the Montana now called "Extras") to be the same.

Meaning if I load the POI-factory's "Free Wi-Fi" list (67K locations) onto the Montana using POI loader, and I have a few User Waypoints loaded, say "Saloons that I frequent" , the map (in a city) is completely obscured by the clutter of the Custom POI's (Free Wi-Fi). If I'm in a less densely populated area, and I want to pan out to get my bearings, again, way too cluttered with the Custom POI's.

On the 60/76 series, "User Waypoints" and user-loaded POI's are treated differently. You can set the zoom level of User Waypoints to be visible at 500 MILES resolution, but you won't see Custom POI's until you're zoomed in to 500ft or below (pre-set, not adjustable).

Anyone know a way around this? I want to see my WAYPOINTS when zoomed all the way out, and I don't want to see my POI's until I'm zoomed in close.

If not, can I make a motion to add it to the feature request list?
Yes, the current software has the Custom POI's and User Waypoints in the same Zoom setting. I didn't like this either since Custom POI Symbols don't render properly and do "clutter-up" the map at times - especially in cities.

Feature Request: Add a setting to Settings -> MAP -> Advanced Setup -> Zoom Levels, for Custom POI's. This would separate Zoom levels for User Waypoints and Custom POI's.

Everybody, feel free to Cut&Paste the above into an email for our friends at the Montana Team.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 08:18 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #4755
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Hey fellas
on basecamp what does the activity profile change and which should i be using
thanks
In BaseCamp, from the HELP file:

Activity Profiles
You can select activity profiles for different activities. Each activity profile stores preferences for displaying the map and calculating routes. You can add custom profiles, and you can customize the included activity profiles.

Use whichever Activity suites your ride planning needs. Currently, none of that information is passed to the Montana except what Routing data is normally used to create a route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote