ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #4741
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Are you using the layered JPG's with CustomMaps? If so, please explain how! Last time I checked, CustomMaps will not function with layered JPG's.
No, as you indicated CustomMaps does not support layered JPG's. I use Garmin BirdsEye Imagery - another cool map feature support by the Montana. BirdsEye does support layers so it's just like zooming in on Google Earth. The only down side is that coverage, at high definition, is not consistent around the world. Hopefully as this service matures from Garmin, they will license higher def imagery consistently over the earth. So far it's worked well for my needs - usually in towns/cities that don't have detail street maps in OSM maps.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #4742
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If it happens again to you, give Master Reset a try. I don't think this issue has to do with the Route itself. I think it has to do with how the Montana is referencing the maps or Index.

Cheers,
I performed a master reset on the device, then switched to my custom motorcycle profile and tried to load my first route from my month-long trip (Home to Wadsworth, Ohio). Got the same result as the first day of my trip: it indicates that the route does not match the maps; asks if I want to re-calculate, and when I hit "Yes", tells me that there's a route calculation error and that there are no routable maps in that area.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #4743
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If it happens again to you, give Master Reset a try. I don't think this issue has to do with the Route itself. I think it has to do with how the Montana is referencing the maps or Index.

Cheers,
I performed a master reset on the device, then switched to my custom motorcycle profile and tried to load my first route from my month-long trip (Home to Wadsworth, Ohio). Got the same result as the first day of my trip: it indicates that the route does not match the maps; asks if I want to re-calculate, and when I hit "Yes", tells me that there's a route calculation error and that there are no routable maps in that area.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #4744
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
Interesting.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #4745
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post

I tried it too and got the same result.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #4746
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting.

Cheers,
Again, as before, if I merely select "Where To", "Waypoints", choose the waypoint for my destination and hit "Go", it calculates a route in less than ten seconds (which, of course, defeats the whole purpose of creating routes in Basecamp and uploading them to the GPS). I'm running v4.20 of unit software.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #4747
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Rugged mount "security" screw

I want to avoid having my Montana end up looking like this - So I have a lanyard for it.

BUT I also don't want to have to remove it from the bike every time I walk away from it for a few minutes. The Rugged Mount has a "security screw" which was a bit dodgy when I first got the mount, but now it doesn't work at all. It just doesn't catch when I try to tighten it. I can't imagine getting a new one will help very much - it's a design flaw.

So, does anyone know the trick to get the security screw to work, first time every time?

Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post

Old 08-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4748
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
So, does anyone know the trick to get the security screw to work, first time every time
Make sure the gps is right in the mount properly, push the moving part in to close the clamp, tighten, but don't overtighten the screw. It just needs to be snug. All four of our mounts are still working perfectly, using this technique.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #4749
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
So I'm still getting used to the new (to me) Montana, and I've got yet another question. I bought West topo 24k, City Nav. 2013 for this device. Installed them on the internal memory (parts of them anyway) and they worked fine. I recently bought a 16gb micro sd card, inserted it and tried to load both the 24ktopo, CityNav & and older copy of 100ktopo. The transfer went through, but when I power up the device the only maps I have to choose from are topo100k1, topo100k2 and topo100k3?

So I look at the device in windows and I can see all of the mapsets I installed. Ok, so I decide to remove all of the maps and reinstall. Did that fine, all the maps are installed on the microsd card (I can see them in windows), but when I power up the device, the only maps I have to choose from are topo100k1, topo100k2 and topo100k3 oh, and base map...what the .

I am clearly missing something here, can anyone point me in the right direction? The screenshot below is the card on the device. Any help is appreciated.

srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4750
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
I use BirdsEye Sat Imagery - it provides zoom layers like the maps.
How do they work when tring to navigate out in the boonies? Do they provide enough detail to tell if there is a road between point a and b?

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #4751
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
REI Sale ?

I can buy a 650T for less cost than a 600 or 650 is this worth doing ?
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #4752
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
How do they work when tring to navigate out in the boonies? Do they provide enough detail to tell if there is a road between point a and b?
I am very disappointed In Birds Eye. At least for my area. The resolution is terrible and very out or date. My house is 17 years old and isn't in the picture. I don't know about your boonies but ours are covered with trees. Obviously small roads and paths can't be seen through the trees. For me just the process of building a route with BE is a pain. I wrongly assumed I could import my home state but the file size is way too big. I can't even get my county on a 8gb card. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:37 AM   #4753
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I am clearly missing something here, can anyone point me in the right direction? The screenshot below is the card on the device. Any help is appreciated.

Delete all those duplicate maps except for the largest of each, using the file size to determine which to keep. After that, if you don't see all the maps accessible through the gps, my choice would be to reset the unit.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM   #4754
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
I can buy a 650T for less cost than a 600 or 650 is this worth doing ?
I think it is.

Jon...
Old 08-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #4755
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Delete all those duplicate maps except for the largest of each, using the file size to determine which to keep. After that, if you don't see all the maps accessible through the gps, my choice would be to reset the unit.
Could he be exceeding the total number of map segments allowed for by the Montana?

I thought the Montana could have a maximum of 20 maps, but they couldn't exceed 4000 map segments in total.

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote