ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 192 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #5056
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
That Motowerk GPS bracket is a stout piece....I have one. Hopefully, one day, I'll have a Montana to mount on it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #5057
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Anyone bored with my issues yet??? I hope future generations can learn from my troubles....

Ok it gets weirder or maybe clearer...

Just rode home with the bike power disconnected....pulled the fuse. Ran it on LI battery the whole way home on the interstate, I was screaming at 7-8K RPMs most of the way....not even a hick up. So it seems to be related to the bikes power in combination with the harmonic....I'm guessing its frequency interference of some kind. So I'm thinking my engineer friend at work can rig me some kind of filter....

Side note the audio connection does not work with the power disconnected..

Offcamber screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 02:00 PM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #5058
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
Offcamber,

Good results from the tests. Based on your results I'm guessing it's one of two things.

1). Bike power not clean enough

I don't remember if you are wired directly to the battery or going through a fuse panel. If directly that should be clean power. If not you could always try going directly to the battery to see what happens.

Another way to test for clean power is if you have a small 12v battery you could always hook the Montana up to that to isolate it from the bike power and see what happens.

2). There may a problem with the rugged mount

Either the connections between the mount and the Montana are intermittent, or the internal wiring is questionable.

Regarding the rugged mount, it could be that the engine vibrations are causing the connection between the Montana and the mount to become intermittent.

If you have a tank bag you could always move the Montana and rugged mount to the tank bag but leave it wired to the bike. If that works, then that pretty much confirms vibration being the issue. If it's the mount contacts or something internal in the mount your guess is as good as mine. Since the pins in the mount are spring loaded I suppose it's possible they could be effected by the engine vibration.

Either way it sounds like you are close to finding the problem.

Just make one change at a time so it will be easier to narrow down the issue.

Oh, since it appears to be working on just the Li battery, you might want to run it that way a few more times just to be sure.

Jon...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #5059
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
Offcamber,

Good results from the tests. Based on your results I'm guessing it's one of two things.

1). Bike power not clean enough

I don't remember if you are wired directly to the battery or going through a fuse panel. If directly that should be clean power. If not you could always try going directly to the battery to see what happens.

Another way to test for clean power is if you have a small 12v battery you could always hook the Montana up to that to isolate it from the bike power and see what happens.

2). There may a problem with the rugged mount

Either the connections between the mount and the Montana are intermittent, or the internal wiring is questionable.

Regarding the rugged mount, it could be that the engine vibrations are causing the connection between the Montana and the mount to become intermittent.

If you have a tank bag you could always move the Montana and rugged mount to the tank bag but leave it wired to the bike. If that works, then that pretty much confirms vibration being the issue. If it's the mount contacts or something internal in the mount your guess is as good as mine. Since the pins in the mount are spring loaded I suppose it's possible they could be effected by the engine vibration.

Either way it sounds like you are close to finding the problem.

Just make one change at a time so it will be easier to narrow down the issue.

Oh, since it appears to be working on just the Li battery, you might want to run it that way a few more times just to be sure.

Jon...
It currently is connected directly to the battery However I still think there is some kind of interference some where. I am trying to find a small 12v battery to do exactly what you suggested and isolate the power from the bike. As for an issue with the rugged mount, that's possible and I considered that. I am going to do some more testing and see what the results are. I actually have a second rugged mount I have for another bike which is not fully hooked up yet. I'm going to try that one and see if there is a change.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #5060
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Update: I had one shut down while on battery only....not a crash because I could restart it with out pulling the battery.

Hooked the Rugged mount to a dedicated power source. 8AA batteries and all seemed well however I had one shut down and restart and one crash when I really got on it (9K) going up hill. Its defiantly much more stable.

So the next step....rewiring the power though a switched source with a noise filter inline. I may also move the mount to a location with less vibration....

Lastly, tomorrow I will try it on the KLR using a different rugged mount.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "As the Montana Crashes"
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #5061
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Just curious, if you have it in direct sunlight does it read higher temps?
The tempe appears to be sealed: i.e, the battery compartment has an o-ring and I don't see any other air holes. So, yes, when it's in the sun it heats up faster. It doesn't change temp rapidly but works well enough. Won't be able to see how temp is reported in BaseCamp until I get home.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #5062
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The tempe appears to be sealed: i.e, the battery compartment has an o-ring and I don't see any other air holes. So, yes, when it's in the sun it heats up faster. It doesn't change temp rapidly but works well enough. Won't be able to see how temp is reported in BaseCamp until I get home.

Cheers,
Also interested in knowing if Min/Max are recorded on the TEMPE or on the GPSr.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #5063
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of "As the Montana Crashes"
I'm hooked!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #5064
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
It currently is connected directly to the battery However I still think there is some kind of interference some where.
Years ago I manufactured enduro clocks and computers. I thought I had vibration issues because huskys were the worst. It turned out to be EMI from the ignition. The throttle cable ran right past the coil and then right past my unit on the cross bar and was floating (un-grounded). Probably not your problem but you should check for both conducted and radiated interferance.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #5065
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Years ago I manufactured enduro clocks and computers. I thought I had vibration issues because huskys were the worst. It turned out to be EMI from the ignition. The throttle cable ran right past the coil and then right past my unit on the cross bar and was floating (un-grounded). Probably not your problem but you should check for both conducted and radiated interferance.
Funny you mention that because radiated interference was going to be my next thing to look into.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #5066
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81husky View Post
It sure does. Air temp right now is 48 degrees and the tempe sitting on the deck rail in the sun is reading 96 and still climbing after about 20 minutes.
Does the sensor have to be right next to the GPS?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #5067
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Does the sensor have to be right next to the GPS?
No It is a wireless link.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #5068
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

well I had my first good day with the Montana. I put it on my KLR650 using a rugged mount and powered by the bike and had ZERO problems with it....some interstate lots of back roads and dirt roads...no issues.

So my problem on the other bike is specific to that bike.....
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #5069
Mr. Cob
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,223
Howdy All,

I am sure that somewhere in this thread my question is answered but I'll be honest about I really DON'T want to read through it to find the information I need.

My Montana worked just great until the vacuum mount failed and it dropped off the windshield and fell to the floor of my truck, Garmin repaired it and sent it back to me. I finally got my city nav maps reinstalled to the memory of the unit itself, the topo maps are on the sd card that plugs into the unit.

Here's my problem, in the past I could have the city nav maps AND the topo maps on the sd card both enabled and both would show up on the screen. Now if I have the sd card with the topo maps on it INSTALLED in the GPS the city nav maps will not display, if I take the sd card out, the city nav maps will display, WHAT did "I" do or is there something wrong with the newly rebuilt unit, yes they sent my original GPS back to me. Thanks for any help you can offer.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #5070
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post
Howdy All,

I am sure that somewhere in this thread my question is answered but I'll be honest about I really DON'T want to read through it to find the information I need.

My Montana worked just great until the vacuum mount failed and it dropped off the windshield and fell to the floor of my truck, Garmin repaired it and sent it back to me. I finally got my city nav maps reinstalled to the memory of the unit itself, the topo maps are on the sd card that plugs into the unit.

Here's my problem, in the past I could have the city nav maps AND the topo maps on the sd card both enabled and both would show up on the screen. Now if I have the sd card with the topo maps on it INSTALLED in the GPS the city nav maps will not display, if I take the sd card out, the city nav maps will display, WHAT did "I" do or is there something wrong with the newly rebuilt unit, yes they sent my original GPS back to me. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Hi Dave,

When you have City Navigator installed and ENABLED it has priority on the map display even if you have other maps ENABLED.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote