ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #5416
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanhXeo View Post
I am fairly certain you can save them to internal memory by default, import them to your PC via basecamp, then reload them to your SD card. Then delete them off your internal memory. I will have to double check but I just purchased the 650 and am still discovering what gets saved to internal memory by default.
Correct.

Currently, there is no setting to save them directly to the uSD card. Only Camera photos can be directed to be saved there.

Simply recreate the \Garmin\GPX\ directory on the uSD card and store your tracks there.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #5417
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You are not alone. I am having the same exact issue with my Montana 650 and CN NA NT 2013.20
whew...... glad to see im not alone
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #5418
DrtSqtr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
a few photos

only some names come up.

and sometimes not at all...... in this photo i zoomed in to see if it would make a difference

in the last 2 pics all i did was change the detail from more to most ....... as you can see it didnt change the street names it just added the poi's

DrtSqtr screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 03:14 PM
DrtSqtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #5419
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 451
I have a Montana on the way, and this thread has been a great resource. After years with a Zumo and Etrex combo, I’m looking forward to a do-it-all unit. But I have a question.

I have always created my road and dirt road routes in Mapsource using the routing tool. I place vias on lots of intersections, and set the unit to navigate by ‘shortest distance.’ This has worked everywhere I have been in the conti USA, including the CDR. Will this approach still work on the Montana, assuming I am using City Nav? I ask because there was a post suggesting that points on intersections cause trouble on the Montana. Is that correct?
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #5420
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
I have a Montana on the way, and this thread has been a great resource. After years with a Zumo and Etrex combo, I’m looking forward to a do-it-all unit. But I have a question.

I have always created my road and dirt road routes in Mapsource using the routing tool. I place vias on lots of intersections, and set the unit to navigate by ‘shortest distance.’ This has worked everywhere I have been in the conti USA, including the CDR. Will this approach still work on the Montana, assuming I am using City Nav? I ask because there was a post suggesting that points on intersections cause trouble on the Montana. Is that correct?
First, you will have to use BaseCamp for the Montana. If you haven't already, download it and start getting familiar.

Reading this thread alone, you will see many issue related to via points and routes created with BaseCamp and sent to the Montana.

Some have stated they have much better results changing the routing activity to "Direct" before sending the routes to the Montana. THEN, you can change the routing activity back on the Montana.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #5421
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
I haven't had any routing issues at all in a few firmware iterations. I make my route in Basecamp and send it to the Montana. I use the same profile (based off automotive) and the routes are identical. One thing I do to make sure is to also convert the route to a track in Basecamp, send that to the unit as well. Then I just have the Route in magenta and the track overlaid in black. That way you can see they are both the same and you still get turn by turn directions.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #5422
NCD
Dirty Hairy

BaseCamp. Will download and get up to speed there. The wiki in your sig has a lot of great stuff, too. Thanks.

Is there a step-by-step 'best practice' for creating a City Nav route in BC and then successfully navigating it on the Montana? If it's in here, I missed it!

For the real funky stuff I just follow tracks, so my concern is routing the paved and dirt roads found in City Nav and having the unit follow the route I have chosen on the PC.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #5423
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Just do what I outlined above. I've had 100% success using that method.

Of course I'm leaving tomorrow and the whole thing will probably go tits up.
IBA #33260
Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #5424
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,796
I though Starting a couple revs ago, the montana honered the type of routing you had setup in basecamp? I setup my own profile in base camp and told it to avoid any roads higher than state road. Then set the profiles in the montana to match. I never put waypoints on irsections because the montana anounces both waypoints amd corners. To much voice trafic if the 2 points are to close.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #5425
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,037
The Montana is "suppose" to take your Route from BaseCamp (map versions being equivalent) and run them unchanged. But, I have come across Routes that would lock up the navigation at certain places along the route. I believe that these lockups are caused by Via Points placed at Intersections. This does not happen all of the time - which makes it very hard to diagnose just what the heck is going on. I have never had a Route lockup if I placed my Via Points after Intersections when I needed them.

As has been discussed, if you want to make sure your route will calculate properly create a Route in BaseCamp that follows the path you want and then create a Track of the Route. Just before sending your Routes/Tracks to the Montana, change your Routes to Direct Routes. Once on the Montana make sure your Routing Activity is set to Automotive or Motorcycle Driving. This will cause the Montana to calculate your Route into an along-road route. Now you can compare it to the Track as mentioned and verify that the Montana calculated the route as you intended. The side benefit of this process is that you can now EDIT this route on the Montana - including reversing the Route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #5426
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana is "suppose" to take your Route from
As has been discussed, if you want to make sure your route will calculate properly create a Route in BaseCamp that follows the path you want and then create a Track of the Route. Just before sending your Routes/Tracks to the Montana, change your Routes to Direct Routes. Once on the Montana make sure your Routing Activity is set to Automotive or Motorcycle Driving. This will cause the Montana to calculate your Route into an along-road route. Now you can compare it to the Track as mentioned and verify that the Montana calculated the route as you intended. The side benefit of this process is that you can now EDIT this route on the Montana - including reversing the Route.

Cheers,
I've never changed anything to direct routes to get the result wanted. If I let the Montana calculate the route it is never the same as if I just transfer it and make it use what I sent.
IBA #33260
Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #5427
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
I've never changed anything to direct routes to get the result wanted. If I let the Montana calculate the route it is never the same as if I just transfer it and make it use what I sent.
Using the above technique requires you to use Via Points so that the Route in BaseCamp goes exactly where you want it to when converted to a Direct Route and back to an along-road route. To obtain the right number/placement of Via Points can require you to switch Routing Activities several times in BaseCamp while you are creating the route. I don't do this very often either but I always send a Track along with my Route to the Montana.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 10-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #5428
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post

I have to say I have had the same experiences when routing (short routes using the same map bases in BC and the Montana) in BC and on the Montana, but like I have said I am just more comfortable using tracks (as they will never change) in conjunction with important waypoints (so I can use the Montana routing if I go off track).

If you are at all concerned about getting lost or loosing something or just not yet confident in the realtionships between BC and your Montana - tracks are by far a safer option than routing.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #5429
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Montana is "suppose" to take your Route from BaseCamp (map versions being equivalent) and run them unchanged. But, I have come across Routes that would lock up the navigation at certain places along the route. I believe that these lockups are caused by Via Points placed at Intersections. This does not happen all of the time - which makes it very hard to diagnose just what the heck is going on. I have never had a Route lockup if I placed my Via Points after Intersections when I needed them.

Cheers,
OK. I'm getting what you guys are saying here. 2 clarifications please:

1. "Create a Route in Basecamp" means using the routing tool and plotting vias along your intended route, and it's best to avoid intersections just in case. Correct?

2. How many Vias does it usually take to make a route 'stick' where you want on a Montana? My Zumo needed a lot, as it would take a route with 100 vias in MS and discard 50 of them because it was a jerk and wanted me to ride boring roads.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #5430
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
OK. I'm getting what you guys are saying here. 2 clarifications please:

1. "Create a Route in Basecamp" means using the routing tool and plotting vias along your intended route, and it's best to avoid intersections just in case. Correct?

2. How many Vias does it usually take to make a route 'stick' where you want on a Montana? My Zumo needed a lot, as it would take a route with 100 vias in MS and discard 50 of them because it was a jerk and wanted me to ride boring roads.
1. Correct.

2. It depends. The test is to switch to Direct and back to along-road routing in BaseCamp. If it routes as you desire, most likely it will route properly on the Montana. But keep in mind that the Montana can only have 50 Via Points in a Route.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS