ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #5536
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You can NOT use MapSource with the Montana. It will not see your waypoints and tracks. You MUST use BaseCramp with the Montana :)
Really?

I've been using Mapsource since I got my Montana over a year ago and it works just fine...I hate Basecamp!
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5537
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
I find the easiest way is use mapsource import to basecamp then download on to montana and always check to make sure - i go throo and press "go" and see what happens on everyone - been caught out on the road to many times
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #5538
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
OK....
But I had loaded into Montana using Mapsource, but them was unable to work with the tracks and waypoints loaded.
And now, I have used Mapsource to load my tracks to Montana...
I suspect this is the root of your issues, or, at least, part of your issue.

BaseCamp and Mapsource handle waypoints and Tracks completely differently, as does a GPSMap60CSx and the Montana. The raw data is the same, but how and where it is stored on the device is completely different.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #5539
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Based on all the comments from users insisting on using MapSource to manipulate tracks, routes, and waypoints on their Montana GPSr, I suspect many of the issue reported here are not really issues at all, and I can understand why Garmin has trouble duplicating them.

BaseCamp and MapSource do not handle data the same way, nor do older Garmin GPSr (60csx, etrex) vs newer units (Oregon, Montana).

Some limited functionality will still be present if you insist on use MapSource with your Montana, but if you do not understand exactly what you are doing, you can create a lot of issues in so doing.

BaseCamp was designed around the newer generations of GPSr, and should be used exclusively with your Montana.

Of course, everyone is free to do as they wish.

For every new issue now, my first question will be which Mapping software the OP uses with their Montana.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #5540
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
I suspect this is the root of your issues, or, at least, part of your issue.

BaseCamp and Mapsource handle waypoints and Tracks completely differently, as does a GPSMap60CSx and the Montana. The raw data is the same, but how and where it is stored on the device is completely different.

OK, that's good to know, thanks.

So, my next question would be, if an event organiser has a track to give to attending riders, some have 60CSX and some have Montana ( I say these two units as these are what I use at present, hence the symtoms being caused by using both with Mapsource), how will the organiser of the event transmit the track to both units without error occuring? Will they need Mapsource for the older units and Basemap for the newer, etc...... I ask as i will be needing to issues tracks in the future, and I wouldn't want to corrupt anyone's GPS......
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #5541
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpo View Post
ok, that's good to know, thanks.

So, my next question would be, if an event organiser has a track to give to attending riders, some have 60csx and some have montana ( i say these two units as these are what i use at present, hence the symtoms being caused by using both with mapsource), how will the organiser of the event transmit the track to both units without error occuring? will they need mapsource for the older units and basemap for the newer, etc...... I ask as i will be needing to issues tracks in the future, and i wouldn't want to corrupt anyone's gps......
Yes! (basemap=BaseCamp)

This would be the best practice.

The older units keep all tracks and waypoints in one single GPX file, where the newer units keep everything separated in individual GPX files. This is not to say that you can not have several tracks and waypoints in a single file on a newer unit, but you can not (as I remember from my 60CSX days) have several tracks and waypoints in separate files on older devices.

From memory (caution, here), the 60CSx etc kept all this information in the current.gpx, while the newer units use the current.gpx file strictly for the current recorded track log. More info here.

atlas cached screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 04:25 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #5542
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
For what it's worth all my tracks were made in Basecamp.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #5543
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Based on all the comments from users insisting on using MapSource to manipulate tracks, routes, and waypoints on their Montana GPSr, I suspect many of the issue reported here are not really issues at all, and I can understand why Garmin has trouble duplicating them.

BaseCamp and MapSource do not handle data the same way, nor do older Garmin GPSr (60csx, etrex) vs newer units (Oregon, Montana).

Some limited functionality will still be present if you insist on use MapSource with your Montana, but if you do not understand exactly what you are doing, you can create a lot of issues in so doing.

BaseCamp was designed around the newer generations of GPSr, and should be used exclusively with your Montana.

Of course, everyone is free to do as they wish.

For every new issue now, my first question will be which Mapping software the OP uses with their Montana.
I have run into problems getting a track out of the Montana while using Mapsource, but routes and waypoints seem to work with no problems...however, I will bite the bullet and try to re-train what few brain cells I have left for learning new software and move to Basecamp...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #5544
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 485
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

I had a fancy schmancy TT anti-vibe mount for my Zumo 450. The version for the Montana is quite a contraption, and runs 180 bucks.

Grab a hacksaw, mix in a little hardware, and viola... instant Montana mount.

Figured I would post this up in case any one else is feeling crafty. Maybe keep an eye open in the FM for a used one. Maybe other ones work too.

NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #5545
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I'll leave it off like that for a couple of days and see if the battery goes down at all.
Two days later the battery hasn't gone down any. The meter still reads full. I think this marks the end of my test phase; the Rugged Mount does not put a drain on the Montana's battery when the mount is disconnected/unpowered.

So I think Levain's Rugged Mount must still be electrically active even though it's on a switched circuit, causing a drain on the gps battery.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #5546
scotty69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
I use basecamp for both my 60csx and my montana. I only use tracks and it works fine on both. Except fo the fact I have to filter tracks fo the 60csx, but that takes about two minutes. Oh, I do all this on my Mac!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #5547
Rick001
Never too old

Oddometer: 647
Can anyone help me with a problem with my 650T
Just recently hooked up the speaker cable from the mount for the first time and running it through a Senna SR10. I find that I have a constant background hiss in the audio.

Is there any way of getting rid of this noise as it is annoying?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #5548
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick001 View Post
Can anyone help me with a problem with my 650T
Just recently hooked up the speaker cable from the mount for the first time and running it through a Senna SR10. I find that I have a constant background hiss in the audio.

Is there any way of getting rid of this noise as it is annoying?
when the montana stops talking, does the headset (assuming you have a SMH10) switch back to either intercom, phone or MP3?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #5549
Rick001
Never too old

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
when the montana stops talking, does the headset (assuming you have a SMH10) switch back to either intercom, phone or MP3?
It only humms when the GPs talks, and keeps humming until it switches back. does not hum if ear buds are plugged directly into GPS, GPS is plugged directly into the Sena mounting bracket. It only humms when it goes through the SR10.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #5550
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick001 View Post
It only humms when the GPs talks, and keeps humming until it switches back. does not hum if ear buds are plugged directly into GPS, GPS is plugged directly into the Sena mounting bracket. It only humms when it goes through the SR10.
I don't recall if mine makes any noise. Its not going to be the quality sound you hear when you plug in ear buds, because the SR10 to SMH10 bluetooth connection is low quality audio like used in a phone connection. I can't check mine now, but the GPS only talks while I am moving, then I have wind noise in the helmet and if the noise is there, I don't hear it. but I do hear that Garmin lady tell me when to turn