ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #6346
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Click on the gmap file to run the update. If you have the same problem I had, the update hasn't actually been applied yet.
Did that, it went to mapmanager, showing it was there. Like it did before.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #6347
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
When the unit is plugged into the computer and mounted you should be able to view the drive itself and see what's really there.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:43 AM   #6348
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Did that, it went to mapmanager, showing it was there. Like it did before.
Ok, that's not the problem then.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #6349
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Speed limit information is embedded in City Navigator maps. The Montana does not and can not use FM cable information.
Using CNNA It seems like the speed limit info only works when I'm following a route. When I'm just using map without routing, I'm not getting speed limit to show in the dashboard after setting it to view speed limit. Am I missing something?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #6350
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Using CNNA It seems like the speed limit info only works when I'm following a route. When I'm just using map without routing, I'm not getting speed limit to show in the dashboard after setting it to view speed limit. Am I missing something?
Is that while using the Nuvi Dashboard? It works for me, even when I'm not navigating.

Here's an example.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #6351
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Drif10,

Is it me reading this thread wrong is is, coming from a 478, the Montana not nearly as user friendly ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #6352
guavadude
de-composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is that while using the Nuvi Dashboard? It works for me, even when I'm not navigating.

Here's an example.

Not using the Nuvi dashboard. I'm using the motorcycle profile but have added speed limit to the four field dashboard.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #6353
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Drif10,

Is it me reading this thread wrong is is, coming from a 478, the Montana not nearly as user friendly ?

Just an observation but seems like its not user friendly because it has so many options to be able to do things. I have a 478 and like it. I'm used to it but have a Montana on the way. Seems like there's alot to learn but once you get things set it works well...though my thoughts may change once I have it. Fortunately, LOTS of info and help here by those who've gone through the "start-up" phase already.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #6354
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
The size of this thread and the relentless questions on how to use it to poor Emmbeedee and Drtbyk give me cause for alarm!
These fellas are carrying this thread.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #6355
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,311
Quote:
The size of this thread and the relentless questions on how to use it to poor Emmbeedee and Drtbyk give me cause for alarm!
Agreed; it seems like the same basic questions are asked and answered several times a week. Perhaps new-to-Montana folks should be directed to read through the wiki first. I know it was a huge help to me when I got my Montana.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #6356
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
I have your same concerns DP. I have been following this thread since the beginning and still haven't pulled the trigger.
I used a $80 Tom Tom for a 5000+ mile trip last year and it never once froze, shut off or had to be rebooted. I do understand that this GPS has far more capabilities, but when I am traveling I just want information from a GPS. I don't want it to be a liability. That being said I have been thinking about buying one for use in geo caching and let it and myself graduate to using it on the bike.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #6357
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Not using the Nuvi dashboard. I'm using the motorcycle profile but have added speed limit to the four field dashboard.
You can still switch to the Nuvi Dashboard in the Motorcycle profile to test if you get the speed limit indicator.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 12:25 PM
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #6358
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
I successfully installed CNNANT 2013 from the DVD onto my old XP desktop with the Montana connected via USB. Then I did the Lifetime Maps update.

Now on a 2nd brand new Win8 notebook I'm trying to do the same but the DVD won't install. The same Montana is connected in Mass Storage as I can see both the main internal memory and the 8GB uSD as 2 driver letters. DVD runs Garmin Map Setup and after I type in the product key from the DVD case it says "The Product Key is Not Valid for this Map Update."

I am supposed to be able to install it on multiple PC's as long as the same GPSr is connected during install, right?

Ok so I thought maybe it wants the nuMaps Lifetime product key. No, if I use that product key it says "The Product Key you entered is not a valid Product Key."

Googled around but don't see the answer.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #6359
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I successfully installed CNNANT 2013 from the DVD onto my old XP desktop with the Montana connected via USB. Then I did the Lifetime Maps update.

Now on a 2nd brand new Win8 notebook I'm trying to do the same but the DVD won't install. The same Montana is connected in Mass Storage as I can see both the main internal memory and the 8GB uSD as 2 driver letters. DVD runs Garmin Map Setup and after I type in the product key from the DVD case it says "The Product Key is Not Valid for this Map Update."

I am supposed to be able to install it on multiple PC's as long as the same GPSr is connected during install, right?

Ok so I thought maybe it wants the nuMaps Lifetime product key. No, if I use that product key it says "The Product Key you entered is not a valid Product Key."

Googled around but don't see the answer.
If you use BaseCamp, you don't need to install the maps on the computer. If the gps is plugged in, it should see the maps on the gps.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #6360
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Just an observation but seems like its not user friendly because it has so many options to be able to do things. I have a 478 and like it. I'm used to it but have a Montana on the way. Seems like there's alot to learn but once you get things set it works well...though my thoughts may change once I have it. Fortunately, LOTS of info and help here by those who've gone through the "start-up" phase already.
I think this is key - it doesn't appear "user friendly" until you're used to it - then it becomes "user friendly" once it's no longer intimidating.