ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #631
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
I actually do have a Birdseye Subscription. I just don't use it that much in the states. I do plan to use it when I'm in China and Russia next Spring/Summer.

Really helps around Border's and some smaller Cities that don't have good OSM data.

Here is the border between China and Russia at Manzhouli, China.

ChiTown, like your Montana mount. . . screw the bike instruments! We know what's important.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 08-11-2011 at 11:43 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #632
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

On another topic - I just had a brilliant idea when I was looking at the topic "
Well Known Zumo 550 Cradle Pin Corrosion Issue ".

With the Montana, you can set the orientation of the gps such that the power connectors don't collect water at all! If you like landscape mode, just orient the cradle so the pins are above the gps, and in portrait mode, the pins still won't collect water.

In this shot the pins are down, but covered by the rubber cap. I've now flipped the cradle over.

The only disadvantage is that the logo on the gps will be upside down in landscape mode but who cares about that? I should suggest Garmin prints the logo the other way then people will naturally put the power connectors up.

It's perfect!
The zumo 550 mount and connector interface were poorly designed for long term use. They retained water rather than allowing it to move away from the pins. The Montana and the mount are well thought out. Water can move away from the pins - even if the pins are in the bottom position. But, the cool thing is that we have position options with the Montana as you point out.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #633
AugustFalcon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Garmin only lists the USB spec as "high speed". This usually indicates USB 2.0 support but there is nothing in print that explicitly states the USB spec supported...
SuperSpeed is 4.8 Gb/s USB 3.0

High Speed is 480 Mb/s USB 2.0 (usually backwards capable) but if the spec doesn't have the "high-speed" verbiage and it claims to be USB 2.0 it is usually capable of only 12 Mb/s)

Full-Speed is 12 Mb/s USB 1.1

Low-Speed is 1.5 Mb/s USB 1.0

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #634
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
SuperSpeed is 4.8 Gb/s USB 3.0

High Speed is 480 Mb/s USB 2.0 (usually backwards capable) but if the spec doesn't have the "high-speed" verbiage and it claims to be USB 2.0 it is usually capable of only 12 Mb/s)

Full-Speed is 12 Mb/s USB 1.1

Low-Speed is 1.5 Mb/s USB 1.0
And here I was trying to reduce the "geek" factor in my communications. . .

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #635
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yeah, I wouldn't give it the highest marks for data transfer speed. But, I would expect it's as fast as any of the other new Garmin units.

I personally don't use the Montana's USB port that often for large files. When I want to x-fer large amounts of data (maps/Birdseye/Cust.Maps), I remove the microSD card and plug it into my MBAir via a HighSpeed read/write adapter. M-U-C-H faster. I don't put my data on the unit's storage. Map indexing takes a little longer but it's a one shot deal at boot.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #636
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
BTW, Thank you Dan for providing the ADV community with level headed, informed info about Garmin products.
Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #637
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,804
I love my Delorme PN40, but I miss too many corners because of A) Lack of sound in my helmet B) I just plain can't see it!

So I have been really looking hard at the Montana. Let me see if I get this right.

I am looking at the one without camera, so I will need to buy map software. Am I reading the Topo software Garmin sells will not allow me to route back roads so my only choice is the Non topo maps like my Nuvi car gps uses?
I do see ChiTowns post above about loading the sat and topo (with subscription) (Great post, thanks). Delorme has that option as well and I use it all the time, especially for dirt bike riding.

I love the Delorme topo software (I have been using there software for 15 years so I got the learning curve down). I already know how to export GPX files, then convert them to map source files, (including cleaning them up to less then 200 points so my Nuvi can deal with them), any gotchas here? also Can I load track files onto the card of the montana and follow them as a track? if yes, how many max points?

It looks like everyone is using basecamp, is it like map source? Does it come with the map software?

thanks ahead of time.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #638
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Another update.

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:
  • Fixed searching near a map point
  • Fixed Add to Route feature in Waypoint Manager
  • Fixed issues with incorrect dashboard showing on map when custom dashboards are enabled
  • Fixed issues navigating using a shortcut when prompted routing is enabled
  • Fixed Coordinates menu item
  • Fixed Where To items on the main menu
  • Fixed shortcuts that switch profiles
  • Added ability to enable and disable BirdsEye providers using shortcuts
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #639
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I love my Delorme PN40, but I miss too many corners because of A) Lack of sound in my helmet B) I just plain can't see it!

So I have been really looking hard at the Montana. Let me see if I get this right.

I am looking at the one without camera, so I will need to buy map software. Am I reading the Topo software Garmin sells will not allow me to route back roads so my only choice is the Non topo maps like my Nuvi car gps uses?
I do see ChiTowns post above about loading the sat and topo (with subscription) (Great post, thanks). Delorme has that option as well and I use it all the time, especially for dirt bike riding.

I love the Delorme topo software (I have been using there software for 15 years so I got the learning curve down). I already know how to export GPX files, then convert them to map source files, (including cleaning them up to less then 200 points so my Nuvi can deal with them), any gotchas here? also Can I load track files onto the card of the montana and follow them as a track? if yes, how many max points?

It looks like everyone is using basecamp, is it like map source? Does it come with the map software?

thanks ahead of time.
Let's see if I get the order correct:
  • You can purchase either 24K US Topo (a region at a time) which are routable. Or, you can purchase 100K US Topo which is routable. Be advised that you can not "no-show" topo contour lines on the Montana so they will always be visible. You only get Spoken Navigation prompts if you have City Navigator North America AND you have a headset plugged into the Montana's Audio Out jack.
  • You can load up to 200 Tracks in the Track Manager. Point limit displayed on map is 10,000 points. So, you can have one track with 10,000 points or many that add up to 10,000 points showing on the map.
  • You can Navigate a Track: Where To->Tracks->pick a track and-> GO.
  • BaseCamp is the "new" Mapsource. It comes with all new map DVD's. It can also be downloaded (free). Mapsource is no longer being updated.

Hope that helps. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #640
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 734
ChiTown, excellent SI overview, big thanks for taking the time! I'm heading overseas next month, and BirdsEye images of the areas I'm visiting may be very useful.

Based on your screenshots I can tell that the Mac version of Basecamp is almost like a totally different piece of software than the PC version.

I was using SI on my gpsmap 78s but the screen size was so small I found myself not using this very much. The Montana screen size fixes that problem. A couple usability things I noticed on my other unit was the boot up time was painfully slow, and the downloaded SI files are signed to the specific drive. In other words, you cannot move the image files between drives after download, they will not load.

Have you noticed much of a slow down in the Montana boot up time?
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #641
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
A couple usability things I noticed on my other unit was the boot up time was painfully slow, and the downloaded SI files are signed to the specific drive. In other words, you cannot move the image files between drives after download, they will not load.
Try this (from post #631):

I see it being totally workable with the file sizes to have plenty of SI for any given ride, or add another card.
I've added a 16GB card to the unit, here's how I set it up for the SI to go onto the SD card.

I copied the "auto run.inf" file from the top level directory unit's memory to the SD card and then made a Gamin folder, then created the Birdseye folder in that. Now all SI will go on the big SD card, just be sure to delete the Birdseye folder on the Garmin unit.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #642
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I actually do have a Birdseye Subscription. I just don't use it that much in the states. I do plan to use it when I'm in China and Russia next Spring/Summer.

Really helps around Border's and some smaller Cities that don't have good OSM data.
Hey DRTBYK, I need to have a chat with you sometime about this. I have a Montana on its way and will be travelling through Russia next year. No idea about maps yet. Was gonna look into OSM and now Birdseye too by the looks of things!

Cheers,

Igor
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #643
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 734
thanks, I had missed the point of having a duplicated autorun.inf between the drives, nice trick. Perhaps this little trick might also allow migration of locked .IMG file maps like CN as well .

Although I'll probably still keep this in my hip pocket as a workaround, since all my big space eating files are already located on the SD drive. I'm a bit of nerd and have different icon files in each of my autorun.inf . Makes the drive letters look distinct in the PC Windows Explorer. Looking over the autorun.inf contents, perhaps the "icon=" can be different and only the "label=" needs to be the same?

dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #644
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Hey DRTBYK, I need to have a chat with you sometime about this. I have a Montana on its way and will be travelling through Russia next year. No idea about maps yet. Was gonna look into OSM and now Birdseye too by the looks of things!

Cheers,

Igor
OSM maps are the way to go. The Garmin Russia maps are worthless East of the Moscow Federal District. BirdsEye imagery looks to be about two years old - so OK but just keep it in mind. You really only need it around cities to help with the in-town navigation. Good luck on your trip.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #645
bmwgrrl
Goin' Minimalistic

Oddometer: 432
Got my Montana back Monday after the screen calibration issue. I have CTNavNT 2012 on DVD. Loaded and unlocked on my Mac. Even did the onetime map update. Took all night for it to load on the unit, and it says can't unlock maps. Wtf? Could they make it any more difficult to use their mapping? What am I doing wrong? Using basecamp. Had been using an old preloaded garmin CIt Nav chip 2009, and thought this would be a good time to update and try the 2012 DVD.

I realize I'm not the shiniest penny in the bank, but geesus, I just want to load my map on my Montana.

Not All Who are Lost Wish to be Found
bmwgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote