ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 172 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #6796
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
…. are people often just intermixing old terminology from previous Garmin apps and hardware and not necessarily the Basecamp and Montana combo terms?
I think that’s part of it. I can certainly see the confusion in the use of the terminology. Some people are using Basecamp, but thinking in terms of Mapsource. Even Garmin has been misleading at times. The intent of my post was not to confuse anyone about via points. The intent was to point out that the user can keep tabs on the via point total as they tailor their route in Basecamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Shaping points are a special type of Via Points in Basecamp but that are added just to force a route to go a certain path (usually after and/or before a turn). Technically to be a "shaping point", in the Properties Tab, right click on a Via Point and select "Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping point)" so then this becomes a Shaping Point type of via.
What your doing is turning on or off wither there will be an announcement of the via point on the GPS screen as you approach it. If you right click on the via point, a drop down list will appear that will allow you to change its property to ‘Alert On Arrival’ or ‘Don’t Alert on Arrival (Shaping Point)’. Not all gps support non announcement of shaping points. I’m not sure about the Montana.

One thing you want to check is via point placement on divided highways. Zoom in and make sure that the via point is placed in the correct lane for the direction of travel. Instead of placing via points at the intersection, put them just past the intersection on the road you wish to travel. You also need to zoom in close enough so as to avoid clicking on POI’s and making them via points. On the other hand, via points can also be a POI, a city park, a cafe or a gas station. These you might want to set the via point's property to 'Alert On Arrival', if you want to stop there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
- I think like many people I want to go from Start to Finish and I want to take certain roads to get there. But just because I end up adding Via Points in between the Start and Finish to shape the route, I don't want to be FORCED to hit each Via Point as a real destination, I mean if I pass one by then just keep routing me towards the Finish only and forget any Via I have already passed.

Is this possible?
On my 62s, I set 'Off Route Recalculation' to 'Off'. This prohibits the gps from recalculating the route. If I overshoot the route, I can zoom out, see where I'm at in relation to it and work my way back. Some gps's like the Delorme PN40 allow you to set the off route recalculation threshold, i.e. distance from route, before it recalculates. This is handy, should you ride off the route when refueling or getting something to eat.

I hope this answered your questions.
daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 09:37 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #6797
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,693
The Montana does support non announcements of points.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #6798
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I'm guessing that a lot of the use of terms (via vs. shaping) comes from past GPSr's (perhaps Zumo?) but I want to know if this is correct........
Here is a discussion I lifted from the Basecamp forum some time ago that may clear up some confusion:

Originally Posted by KGANSHIRT

The concepts are quite simple. It's the method of distinguishing one from the other that is likely quite subtle in the code.

POI - A formal Point Of Interest. An entry in the internal POI database with a name, location and usually other information associated with it.

Waypoint - Any arbitrary point on the map that you have designated you want to keep track of. Usually stored in the "Favorites" or "My Locations" or whatever your personal navigation device calls its waypoint storage database. Your device will usually allow you to store such things as the location, any arbitrary name you want to supply and other information such as address, phone number, category(ies) and a symbol/icon to be used when displaying it.

Via Point - A point used to create a multipoint route, e.g. Go from Point A to Point B via some other arbitrary point(s) that you will designate. If your personal navigation device supports multipoint routing, the via point can be a POI, an existing waypoint/favorite or any other form of location that is searchable on your device, e.g. address, intersection/junction, custom POI, etc. In most cases, to use something as a via point it must already exist in one of the devices' searchable databases.

Shaping Point - In Mapsource, to "shape" a route to go exactly where you want there are a couple of methods. Just as with the personal navigation device, you can edit the route's properties to insert Via points (these are not shaping points although they do serve a similar purpose). You can also just use the route tool to click on spots on the map to force the shape of a route. When you do that, you are using a location that is not already in one of the searchable location databases. Mapsource does not force you to add these points to any of the formal databases. It simply inserts the actual coordinates invisibly into the route. These are shaping points.

Shaping points occur in another, automatic, fashion as well. Even when you only designate a two-point route, e.g. go from Point A to Point B, there will usually be multiple places, usually intersections, where a change in direction is required. When building the route, the personal navigation device (or Mapsource/Basecamp) will automatically include all of these points in the route.

To easily illustrate this, you can create a two-point route in Mapsource by clicking on a Point A and a Point B that will require a few turns to get from one to the other. Now export the route to a GPX file and take a look at it with Notepad or your favorite text editor. You will see that, in addition to the starting point and the ending point, there will be a bunch of other points in the file to control all the turns.

I apologize if you already knew all that. Perhaps it will be helpful to others with inquiring minds.



And yes, these terms are often misused, adding to the confusion.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #6799
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Posting a light blue on white text means it is invisible to me so I will have to skip it :(
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #6800
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Posting a light blue on white text means it is invisible to me so I will have to skip it :(
Is this better?

Originally Posted by KGANSHIRT

The concepts are quite simple. It's the method of distinguishing one from the other that is likely quite subtle in the code.

POI - A formal Point Of Interest. An entry in the internal POI database with a name, location and usually other information associated with it.

Waypoint - Any arbitrary point on the map that you have designated you want to keep track of. Usually stored in the "Favorites" or "My Locations" or whatever your personal navigation device calls its waypoint storage database. Your device will usually allow you to store such things as the location, any arbitrary name you want to supply and other information such as address, phone number, category(ies) and a symbol/icon to be used when displaying it.

Via Point - A point used to create a multipoint route, e.g. Go from Point A to Point B via some other arbitrary point(s) that you will designate. If your personal navigation device supports multipoint routing, the via point can be a POI, an existing waypoint/favorite or any other form of location that is searchable on your device, e.g. address, intersection/junction, custom POI, etc. In most cases, to use something as a via point it must already exist in one of the devices' searchable databases.

Shaping Point - In Mapsource, to "shape" a route to go exactly where you want there are a couple of methods. Just as with the personal navigation device, you can edit the route's properties to insert Via points (these are not shaping points although they do serve a similar purpose). You can also just use the route tool to click on spots on the map to force the shape of a route. When you do that, you are using a location that is not already in one of the searchable location databases. Mapsource does not force you to add these points to any of the formal databases. It simply inserts the actual coordinates invisibly into the route. These are shaping points.

Shaping points occur in another, automatic, fashion as well. Even when you only designate a two-point route, e.g. go from Point A to Point B, there will usually be multiple places, usually intersections, where a change in direction is required. When building the route, the personal navigation device (or Mapsource/Basecamp) will automatically include all of these points in the route.

To easily illustrate this, you can create a two-point route in Mapsource by clicking on a Point A and a Point B that will require a few turns to get from one to the other. Now export the route to a GPX file and take a look at it with Notepad or your favorite text editor. You will see that, in addition to the starting point and the ending point, there will be a bunch of other points in the file to control all the turns.

I apologize if you already knew all that. Perhaps it will be helpful to others with inquiring minds.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #6801
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Posting a light blue on white text means it is invisible to me so I will have to skip it :(
Oops, sorry....

Something weird happened when I pasted it..

Thanks MBD..
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #6802
Beer'o'clock Baz
?
 
Beer'o'clock Baz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Toowoomba
Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You might have an early unit. Have you called Garmin?
r.e touchscreen problems
They took it off me today and I will get a refurbished one in a couple of weeks - you were right they said it was an earlier model thanks
__________________
Beer'o'clock Baz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #6803
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TravellingStrom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Rockhampton, Australia
Oddometer: 397
Thanks for the reposted NON blue on white explanation Emmbeedee, my eyes are grateful

No worries to the original poster, some people have different themes so the colour schemes are not the same anyway

But, to the post, as it explains, I personally do not use VIA points, I seem to use shaping points if I do it manually to force it, or it adds a bucket load in by itself

Cheers from a bar in Siem Reap, Cambodia
TravellingStrom
__________________
www.travellingstrom.com
TravellingStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #6804
Elsjo
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Oddometer: 15
New software 4.70 http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=5335
Elsjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #6805
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,905
What kind of point does it make if I grab the route with the arrow shaped tool and rubber band it to a road?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #6806
cablebandit
Web Adventurer
 
cablebandit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: State College PA
Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What kind of point does it make if I grab the route with the arrow shaped tool and rubber band it to a road?
Shaping point.
__________________
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #6807
Emoto
Sure, why not?
 
Emoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: SE Mass
Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Shaping point.
Thanks! Are we limited in the Montana as to how many of those there can be in a route?
__________________
Eventual Master of the Obvious
2005 R1200GS | 2013 R1200GSW | SOHC4 208 | DoD 2032 | BMWMOA | BMWRA | YB
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #6808
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,525
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here it goes - If I have different maps for the Montana, can I load them all onto a single SD card and switch between them? Was hoping to be able to do City Nav, Topo, and BlueChart by buying the DVD versions and not swap SD cards.

Also, as an FYI - If you're a Citi customer w/ reward points, they have the Montana 600. It's a ridiculous # of points (120K or so, IIRC), but if you're not using your points for anything else, why not? Actually, it would probably be cheaper to buy 10 $50 Amazon or BestBuy gift cards for 60,000 points and just buy it there...or maybe 5 Cabelas $100 cards for 10,000 each?
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #6809
atlas cached
OX Ambassador
 
atlas cached's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here it goes - If I have different maps for the Montana, can I load them all onto a single SD card and switch between them? Was hoping to be able to do City Nav, Topo, and BlueChart by buying the DVD versions and not swap SD cards.
YES!

More info here.

Buying DVD versions is my first choice, AFTER checking GPSFileDepot for free maps that have the information I need.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #6810
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate SC
Oddometer: 8,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Thanks! Are we limited in the Montana as to how many of those there can be in a route?
Shaping points, no. Via points yes, limited to 50 per route.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014