ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #6886
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Nice to know I wasn't just seeing things.

Thanks Mike.

Is that latest citynav too?
Garmin's response:

Greetings,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It should be corrected in the near future.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us should you find any additional issues.

Happy Exploring,

Joshua

Joshua M. || Cartography Administrator
Garmin International || Olathe, KS USA
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #6887
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post

The 50 via- point limit comes from Garmin.
WHERE please?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but...
If this is documented then we don't have to be doing all this painful experimentation and discussion!

Again we are talking about the number of Via Points created in Basecamp (including any number of Via Points that happen to actually be Shaping points), then transferred to the Montana and used for any Routing Activity OTHER THAN Direct. And assuming CNNANT is identical on both BC and Montana.

My experiments show that in order to be able to press GO in the Montana and have it succeed with auto-route when it is in Automobile Activity mode for routing...
... it is slightly dependent on the Activity Profile set earlier during its creation in Basecamp. A Direct route is limited to 50 Via Points (any kind, including shaping) MAX, and others are limited to 51 Via Points MAX (any kind, including shaping).

This is practically a "Don't Care" and I will just call it a 50 Via Point Max, personally. Can I get an "Amen"? Is this correct?
Quote:

There may be some confusion between a ‘Route’ and a ‘Track’. If you’re inserting via-points to shape a 'Route', you can't exceed 50. If you’re inserting trackpoints to shape a 'Track', you can have hundreds if not thousands.
Perhaps when I quote others there is not enough context and THEY are talking about Tracks, and that is what I am trying to figure out.

I was trying to say up front that I am only talking about Routes, I understand Tracks (basically, coming from a 60Csx before the Montana) and yes they are totally different in the points allowed, and there is no autorouting involved. And to be clear I don't mean to pick at your words but "shape" and "Track" should probably not be used in the same sentence as it is misleading. I know you already know this but my point is... a track is a set of let's say breadcrumbs that simply show up and are connected with straight lines, so I suggest we reserve the word "shape" only for Routes.

Again I'm just trying to learn the "GPS lingo". Sorry to read you so literally but it's like learning a new language here.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #6888
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What are you guy liking for lanyards?
Something like this:

Except I didn't get one from Garmin. eBay was my friend this time around.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #6889
gots_a_sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Reminder video for those without lanyards (A low hanging branch hit the release button dead on)

I have a lanyard on mine now (paracord + quick release buckle)
09 Husky WR165 - VCHSS #79L
gots_a_sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #6890
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:

When I search the net, I come across sites, including this one, where it’s been stated that 250 points can be used for ‘Off Road Navigation’. I haven’t been able to prove that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
The 250 point maximum is for Direct Routing.
? Direct Routing WHERE? on the Route in BC or the mode in the Montana?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Test #2:
On Montana, set profile to Topo (Topo USA and route activity to Direct)
Upon GO, Montana shows route with 131 points, no limits. ( I haven't tested for 250+, but I'll bet it is a limit because when I first got it a year ago I tried importing some 300+ point routes from Mapsource and they were all truncated at 250.)
Ok let's break this down:
First, In earlier discussions we have established there is a 50 point max if you take a route that is Direct in Basecamp and then put it on the Montana and try to use any mode EXCEPT Direct on the Montana, meaning if you try to use it for Autorouting.

That is not the topic here. This topic is "250 point maximum" and "Direct".

So now I'm thinking that perhaps what people are referring to is that on the Montana itself (forget Basecamp!), if you have your Setup->Routing->Activity set to Direct, then you cannot use any route from BaseCamp that has more than 250 Via Points in it, or it will truncate.... ??

Ok I'll do another experiment...

I made 2 Routes in Basecamp, one with 102 Via Points (2 Waypoints + 100 Shaping Points), then I just kept inserting more shaping points until I had a total of 266 Via Points (2 Waypoints + 264 Shaping Points).

With the Montana set to DIRECT routing mode, when I did Where To? pick a route, the GO button appeared and it successfully showed the route and the little blue markers and told me to go straight to the next marker (since it is in Direct mode)!. So far no obvious errors, but DID IT TRUNCATE? The answer was: YES!

Results:
1. The 102 Via Point route showed all 102 Via Points without truncating. You can tell be cause it shows my Finish (destination) Waypoint in the upper right.

2. The 266 Via Point route truncated after 250 Via Points! This I can tell because it deleted the last 16 points in the upper right, including my Finish (destination) Waypoint in the upper right.

Key Learnings:

So therefore the Montana has a limit of 50 (or 51) Via Points (including Shaping type of Vias) in NON Direct mode, beyond which it will not autoroute AT ALL (white screen 50 Max error!)... and the Montana has a limit of 250 Via Points (including Shaping type of Vias) in Direct mode, meaning it will only display the first 250 and truncate all the rest, INCLUDING the (last) Finish Waypoint, i.e. your destination?

Is this right? Do I win the prize for repeating things as a newbie? The ironic thing is... I DON'T THINK I EVEN CARE ABOUT DIRECT routes, I want to do autorouting! But perhaps I'll learn that this is a valuable workaround to the 50 point limitation of the Montana for autorouting.

Does this explanation all make sense to you experts? Surely I'm driving you crazy enough to point me to some of this that is explained somewhere when you figured it out months ago?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #6891
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
That is strange, what version software are you using?

During this ride, the road it expected to be there was not quite there, it was actually over there a bit. So, after bypassing the small village, I got back onto the expected road again. During this time I got a Route Calculation Error and clicked on OK, and was then back on the map screen, riding on a road, no route active.

Once I was back on the road, I used the 3bar menu and selected resume Navigation.

This is using a multi image map in South East Asia. I get many many Route Calculation Errors here as some of the roads have been built since the map was made and updated, and others are not quite classified as roads :)

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Ok I think I see the difference. I have not played with mine enough to get a Route Calculation Error so it actually stops navigating, that would explain why later it has the option to "Resume Navigation".

My original question was if I had selected Prompted for "Off Route Recalculation", then when I go off route and it asks me if I want it to recalculate, to which I reply No..... my question was if later I wanted to force it to recalculate, how would I do that. But I never got an error.

My only answer is to Stop Navigation then start on the route all over again with Where To? because it is still navigating and does not give me the same options you show.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #6892
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
My original question was if I had selected Prompted for "Off Route Recalculation", then when I go off route and it asks me if I want it to recalculate, to which I reply No......
Where do you see this option?

The only two options I am ever presented with for Off Route Recalculation are "Minimize Distance" or "Minimize Time", and if Topo maps are loaded I may also see "Minimize Ascent".

Never do I see "No."

The Montana never asks if you want to recalculate, it asks how you want to recalculate.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #6893
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

One more clarifying example to go along with my earlier Post 6862 about how BaseCamp displays Via Points, including shaping via points, and also my Post 6882 about the item called "Points" at the top:

1. In BaseCamp using Direct for the activity profile. This shows 7 Via Points and that includes the Start Waypoint, the Finish Waypoint (destination), another Waypoint I added named "Stetson" and 4 Shaping points I added using the Insert tool.
It shows 7 Via Points, and also 7 "Points" (aka total) because it is in Direct mode so it did not have to insert any more hidden points because it did not autoroute any more turns:

2: Now the ONLY change was to change the Activity profile to no longer be Direct. Here I chose Motorcycling. Observe the change in the total, called "Points" which is now 28 because now BaseCamp had to autoroute and pick more points for the turns and apparently these are hidden from the line item display of the original 7 Via Points, which still show up the same:

Once again all of this is my OWN "proposal" and I'm looking for you experts to validate that this is in fact correct. I'm trying to come up with a "model" so I can understand all of this.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #6894
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Dead Horse

WHOOOEEEE!!

This horse is really beginning to stink!!!!!

Congratulations to Snooker for being willing to experiment CAREFULLY and log all actions and results!
Excellent experimental protocol.

(Glad I got it mostly right with half as much work...)
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #6895
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
Guys, am I missing something here?

Do we go through the trouble of making routes that don't exceed in length, that don't recalculate by themselves, that don't do something stupid etc etc, that is, over converting them to perfectly defined tracks, for the sole benefit of an elecronic woman to tell us which way to turn?

May as well save $600 and just use a map and a highlighter then.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #6896
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
May as well save $600 and just use a map and a highlighter then.
Too late for most of us, including Bli55.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #6897
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What are you guy liking for lanyards?
One of the 100 free ones I got from back when I used to play tournament paintball

Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #6898
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Where do you see this option?

The only two options I am ever presented with for Off Route Recalculation are "Minimize Distance" or "Minimize Time", and if Topo maps are loaded I may also see "Minimize Ascent".

Never do I see "No."

The Montana never asks if you want to recalculate, it asks how you want to recalculate.
You have to set the route recalculation to PROMPTED. If you have it set to auto recalc it won't ask you for a yes or no response.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #6899
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You have to set the route recalculation to PROMPTED. If you have it set to auto recalc it won't ask you for a yes or no response.
Can you provide a screen shot, please?

I have mine set to prompted, but still only get the options listed in my previous post.

EDIT:

I have now set Off Route Recalculation and Calculation Method to "Prompted".

My bad, please accept my apologies.

Who said what about Map and Compass?

Did I ever mention how easy and intuitive the Montana is to use?

atlas cached screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 07:19 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #6900
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
I'm about to reach information overload.