ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #7216
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,116
Tracks

Thanks Dave. That worked very well. I used the tracks to mark out my hare scrambles course on my ranch.
Question about how the Montana recorded the tracks though......I had some over lap where I went back over the same tracks but, it didn't mark it that way. It looked like I had paralleled my previous track. Is there a setting that makes the tracks more accurate? I remember seeing a number with decemal points when I turned the tracks on this morning., but I'm not sure what that was.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #7217
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Thanks Dave. That worked very well. I used the tracks to mark out my hare scrambles course on my ranch.
Question about how the Montana recorded the tracks though......I had some over lap where I went back over the same tracks but, it didn't mark it that way. It looked like I had paralleled my previous track. Is there a setting that makes the tracks more accurate? I remember seeing a number with decemal points when I turned the tracks on this morning., but I'm not sure what that was.
That happens to me all the time..

It is due to the accuracy reading for the satellites. At any one time if you stand in one spot,(test this by leaving your GPS in one spot for a day) you will see it wandering all over the place.

It is nothing to worry about and nothing you can really do about it.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #7218
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
That happens to me all the time..

It is due to the accuracy reading for the satellites. At any one time if you stand in one spot,(test this by leaving your GPS in one spot for a day) you will see it wandering all over the place.

It is nothing to worry about and nothing you can really do about it.
Hello, I think also the numbers with decimal points you have seen in are your archived tracks in track manager. They will be the time of the date that the track was created.

As far as accuracy goes, I don't think there is any settings you can tune as such. I don't know if playing with the "GPS" option in the "Draw" -> "Setup" -> "System" then changing between WAAS/EGNOS and Normal.

I am sure someone on this forum will be able to say what these settings mean to you depending on where you are using the GPS in the world.

But why wait, doesn't hurt to play with the settings and see how it behaves.

Regards,

Dave
Old 03-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #7219
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotterD View Post
I am sure someone on this forum will be able to say what these settings mean to you depending on where you are using the GPS in the world.
With WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) enabled in North America, or EGNOS in Europe, your typical accuracy will go from 12 to 15 feet down to 7 to 9 feet.

Hardly worth the additional battery draw unless you are geocaching, IMHO.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #7220
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 438
Finally got my Montana replaced! I used it today out running errands and had it off and on, in and out of the mount, and NO WHITE SCREENS!! Gawd, that was frikkin annoying!! Now I have to work on putting all my customization back on it.

I noticed that the map doesn't show the speed limits anymore. Anybody else notice that? (Nuvi dashboard).

Also thought I'd mention what happened right before I returned the old one to Garmin: I had already made arrangements with them to return the unit but had a weekend of riding coming up. I told them I'd send it in after the weekend. So I'm out riding and got caught in the rain. Actually it started raining while I was in eating lunch and the unit was on the bike. Water got up under the screen and the screen quit responding. The unit was still working - making tracks that I was able to download later - but the screen was unresponsive. I thought it was supposed to be waterproof enough that rain wouldn't bother it. I was really surprised by that! That was weird.

That has me a bit nervous about kayaking tomorrow. I may put it in a ziploc.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #7221
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Finally got my Montana replaced! I used it today out running errands and had it off and on, in and out of the mount, and NO WHITE SCREENS!! Gawd, that was frikkin annoying!! Now I have to work on putting all my customization back on it.

I noticed that the map doesn't show the speed limits anymore. Anybody else notice that? (Nuvi dashboard).

Also thought I'd mention what happened right before I returned the old one to Garmin: I had already made arrangements with them to return the unit but had a weekend of riding coming up. I told them I'd send it in after the weekend. So I'm out riding and got caught in the rain. Actually it started raining while I was in eating lunch and the unit was on the bike. Water got up under the screen and the screen quit responding. The unit was still working - making tracks that I was able to download later - but the screen was unresponsive. I thought it was supposed to be waterproof enough that rain wouldn't bother it. I was really surprised by that! That was weird.

Re: the speed limits - do you have City Navigator NA loaded?

I've ridden in the rain many times with mine and never had an issue with water getting into the screen.

I even dip it into the sink to wash it when it gets really dirty.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #7222
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Really?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #7223
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:

I had the same problem

I am guessing here but I reckon over a period of time you have done many many master resets. Because if the pressure needed there is a crack in the glass that develops in that exact position. Well it did for me after months of resetting

Water got in mine also. When I contacted Garmin they said screens are not included in warranty. But they agreed the correct Garmin reset procedure can end up cracking the screen and replaced it again

Cheers
TS
Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #7224
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Really?
Why not?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #7225
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Quote:
Re: the speed limits - do you have City Navigator NA loaded?
Yes. The latest version. Although I may not be holding my mouth right. I followed the directions provided by Garmin (on the phone) because I had issues with the Express program. Got the maps and an update loaded. BUT... when I look at Basecamp with the Montana attached, I don't see the map set listed in the left panel. Any suggestions?

Quote:
I've ridden in the rain many times with mine and never had an issue with water getting into the screen.

Ditto. I also use it kayaking and I have a sit-on-top kayak so it gets wet easily from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
I am guessing here but I reckon over a period of time you have done many many master resets. Because if the pressure needed there is a crack in the glass that develops in that exact position....
Cheers
TS

Oh wow! I had no idea! But you're right, that was probably it.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #7226
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

I just rechecked. Garmin had me use MapInstall. I just started it up again and it says I have the maps installed. CNNA NT 2013.4

Why doesn't it show up on the left panel in BaseCamp?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #7227
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I just rechecked. Garmin had me use MapInstall. I just started it up again and it says I have the maps installed. CNNA NT 2013.4

Why doesn't it show up on the left panel in BaseCamp?
Try Javawa Device Manager. It will allow you to set the map's visibility in Basecamp.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #7228
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Why not?
IT simply had not occurred to me to do so...
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #7229
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
To topo or not to topo

I'm thinking about getting the 600, don't need a camera, and was wondering is there value in buying the Canada topo bundle with it or can I source what I need online cheaper/free?

I see I can get the 600 with the powered mount and ram bits for about $600 tax incl, or about $100 cheaper than the 650t motorbike bundle (per GPS City.ca)

What mapping comes with the unit and what is the must have software?

Cheers.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #7230
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
The Montana makes an excellent bath toy. A great place to relax and explore all those menus and options. And waterproof too!

Sent via semaphore on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote