ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #7351
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
And they should considering they charge full MSRP for everything.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #7352
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,385
My bad! Apologies all around.

I did get my 650T from REI on sale, but it was probably a sale that had the specific item advertised.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #7353
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,903
you might find someone in an REI store who would accept the coupon anyway. Might be worth a try if you are near a store.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #7354
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
A couple of questions regarding Montana... I wish there were good documentation... oh well...

On the 60Cx or 76Cx I can setup the SD card to save *all* track data by setting "Log Track to Data Card" in the track setup. Is there a way to keep all track data (not reduced copies) saved with the Montana?

One frustrating thing about the 60Csx and 76Csx is that they will not record the GPS elevation, only the barometric sensor altitude and I'm guessing the Montana is the same. I can view the GPS elevation (albeit very painfully) on the 60Csx and 76Csx while on the satellite page by selecting "GPS elevation" in the menu. Is there any way to display or log GPS elevation on this unit?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #7355
chaslins
n00b

Oddometer: 6
First post after a lot of lurking. Doing the Transamerica Trail starting 9-1-2013. Bought a Montana 650 with 100k TOPO maps on DVD to back up the Sam's charts. My question is after owning it a couple weeks I bought the US road maps on a mini sd card and loaded the TOPO on a 8 gig card. Now I wonder if I could have loaded both maps on one sd card and switched back and forth if I had gotten the road map on a DVD? Or can I do it now from Garmin's sd card? Thanks for your help in advance.
chaslins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #7356
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,385
You will probably need to load your 100K topo map to the Montana's internal memory, and then use the City Nav microSD card in the unit, in order to have both maps available at one time.

If you had the CNNA maps on DVD, you could have them both on one microSD card.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #7357
chaslins
n00b

Great idea, but trying to keep internal memory open to hold all of the tracks if possible. Need to find out how big that is and if it will take both. Thank you
Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #7358
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Mac Crash with CNNA

Well~ I have finally gotten all my goods from Garmin. Montana 600 and CNNA, however it's not working flawlessly. I'm able to download the DVD CNNA to my Macbook Pro Computer and everything is fine. The problem is when I try and send the maps to the GPS, the MAPInstall crashes with and error message. I'm able to install a few maps at a time but when I get to about 35 maps the system crashes. Any thoughts. Garmin say's its the computer and Apple says it's the Garmin software.

Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #7359
shaweetz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by iustin View Post
Hi, from my experience with my Montana, it has two modes:
So it seems that is has some sensors on the USB port. I haven't tried yet, but I would guess that "charging while being used normally" is doable only via a special mount (either automotive or the rugged one); these connect to the small contact bits on the case, not to the USB port.
Garmin has, for a long time, differentiated their two cable functions with an 18k resistor to ground from the 5th pin of the mini USB connector. I suspect Montana is similar, from the description. Pin X is used by various vendors to enforce the use of their own chargers, in violation of the USB specification.
shaweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #7360
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
Well~ I have finally gotten all my goods from Garmin. Montana 600 and CNNA, however it's not working flawlessly. I'm able to download the DVD CNNA to my Macbook Pro Computer and everything is fine. The problem is when I try and send the maps to the GPS, the MAPInstall crashes with and error message. I'm able to install a few maps at a time but when I get to about 35 maps the system crashes. Any thoughts. Garmin say's its the computer and Apple says it's the Garmin software.

It sounds like the computer to me too. Are you running out of drive space? Emptied the trash recently? My Mac has no problem with MapInstaller.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #7361
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
And they should considering they charge full MSRP for everything.
Got my 650 T from them for $499. I'd say that's well below MSRP.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #7362
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslins View Post
First post after a lot of lurking. Doing the Transamerica Trail starting 9-1-2013. Bought a Montana 650 with 100k TOPO maps on DVD to back up the Sam's charts. My question is after owning it a couple weeks I bought the US road maps on a mini sd card and loaded the TOPO on a 8 gig card. Now I wonder if I could have loaded both maps on one sd card and switched back and forth if I had gotten the road map on a DVD? Or can I do it now from Garmin's sd card? Thanks for your help in advance.
Yes, you can display elevation on one of the data fields.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7363
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
Please help, did something really stupid earlier!!

As the Montana was switching on, I was wiping the screen, and, guess what - did a master reset....
What to do now?
The first profile listed (recreational) was the one I used to modify and create a base which I was planning to duplicate to create other profiles sharing same basic features and why it's the one I need to restore back.
But it seems that recreational profile is the only one wiped out to default settings???

I had backed up entire "garmin" directory, do you just copy the entire folder back after a master reset??
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #7364
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
I see a lot of questions about using multiple maps on the same device, or in the same folder. This is how I use three maps on the same device. There may be other ways, but this works for me. I reserve my memory space on the device for storing BirdEye imagery, tracks and such. All my maps stay in the same folder on a 32G uSD card, installed in my 650T.

By default, all supplemental maps are typically named the same - "gmapsupp.img". Just rename each img file as they installed on the card (or on the device). Once the installed map is renamed, then you can install another map (then rename it as well), and so on.

Here is a copy of the "Garmin" folder in my uSD card. Also, I keep a copy of this folder on my computer hard drive, as a backup.

Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC

Mac screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 07:40 PM
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #7365
chaslins
n00b

Mac, thanks for the information. What is the UNL 1kb and GMA 3kg? And do you think I can get the city nav. Off the Garmin sd card to a 32 G card? Thanks