ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #7396
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post

Here is an example from the 62ST from the dutch forum: http://forum.gps.nl/viewtopic.php?f=...art=60#p315994
Lex logged both the GPS-elevation and another time the barometric elevation and compared these with mapping data.
It is known that the firmware of 62ST and Montana are almost alike and updated within short periods of each other.
Well my dutch wasn't good enough to understand the plots and I doubt they would answer my question regardless.

As I mentioned one the easiest tests for this is to take the unit up in a commercial aircraft and see whether the track log elevation maxes out at 7.5-8.5K' instead of 30-40K'....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #7397
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I'm pushing over to be impressed enough with the unit, especially since it appears it will at least display the GPS receiver elevation in a data field that even if it doesn't record the GPS receiver elevation data in the track logs that I'm probably going to get one. If it can record that it would be very, very nice and then I wouldn't have to bring along another receiver when I go flying...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #7398
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
"Date First Available April 1, 2013"

"Item weight 1.5 pounds"

"Shipping weight 1 pounds"

Sounds fairly obvious to me.
Really? I got all lathered up for nothing? This is a cruel joke. An Android based Montana with wifi, Bluetooth, FM weather,... That would have been very sweet.

I guess I'll return to my internal debate on whether or not to purchase a Montana and sell the BMW Nav IV.

Pardon the interruption.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #7399
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
An Android based Montana with wifi, Bluetooth, FM weather,... That would have been very sweet.
That would essentially be a smartphone, no?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #7400
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Does anyone else get a panic attack when they fire up the Montana right before a trip and there are no tracks or routes listed? Holy Crap!! Turn it off an on, and everything magically re-appears. Whew..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #7401
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Does anyone else get a panic attack when they fire up the Montana right before a trip and there are no tracks or routes listed? Holy Crap!! Turn it off an on, and everything magically re-appears. Whew..
You may have data (tracks, routes, waypoints) that is causing the Montana to fail Indexing at boot. Checking the Routes would be my starting point. Is your data on the microSD?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #7402
TerraUnFirma
Fair/Not Balanced

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Well my dutch wasn't good enough to understand the plots and I doubt they would answer my question regardless.

As I mentioned one the easiest tests for this is to take the unit up in a commercial aircraft and see whether the track log elevation maxes out at 7.5-8.5K' instead of 30-40K'....
I fly all the time and often take my Montana with me. I can confirm that it does record GPS Elevation as part of the track data. I can open a track and graph the altitude profile from a flight. If anyone would like to see one, I'll be glad to forward via email. As I recall, my 60Csx does the same thing, even though you can only see GPS elevation on the GPS page on a snapshot basis.

Cheers,
'06 Suzuki DRz400s
'08 Yamaha WR250R
TerraUnFirma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #7403
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You may have data (tracks, routes, waypoints) that is causing the Montana to fail Indexing at boot. Checking the Routes would be my starting point. Is your data on the microSD?

Cheers,
Yes, I've loaded most everything on the MicroSD. Why does it work most of the time? Oh well, how can I check the data (routes, tracks, datapoints) to see if they are corrupt?
Thanks
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #7404
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Yes, I've loaded most everything on the MicroSD. Why does it work most of the time? Oh well, how can I check the data (routes, tracks, datapoints) to see if they are corrupt?
Thanks
The best way I've found is by using Javawa Device Manager (http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html) - it will tell you what's wrong.

Here's a screen shot from my gps.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #7405
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraUnFirma View Post
I fly all the time and often take my Montana with me. I can confirm that it does record GPS Elevation as part of the track data. I can open a track and graph the altitude profile from a flight. If anyone would like to see one, I'll be glad to forward via email. As I recall, my 60Csx does the same thing, even though you can only see GPS elevation on the GPS page on a snapshot basis.

Cheers,
Good stuff; although I've owned 60/76Cs/Csx's and confirmed with Garmin over the phone, they only log the baro altitude. I'm glad to hear the Montana will although it's a shame they don't have GLONASS. I ordered one up and it should arrive tomorrow...
Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #7406
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 209
What a piece of junk!

I just bought a Montana 650 and City Navigator North America 2013. Fired up CD and sat for over an hour waiting for it to load. Then, it tried to install it on the Montana. Another hour later, and it says it's complete. I look for it on the computer, and all I see is CNNA 2009!!?? I open the CNNA 2009 folder, but don't see any .exe file, so I uninstall it, and try the disc install again. Another hour and more later, I get an installation error!!!!!!!! I go to the Garmin website, log in, and it finds my Montana, and tells me it's up to date! Even says it's got CNNA 2013 loaded, but it isn't on there anywhere. Tells me to download and install Garmin Express, so I do that. After another download and install, it fires up and tells me I'm all up to date on everything; but yet I show no CNNA map on either the computer, or GPS!

I am no computer or GPS guru, but how anyone can say this piece of junk is great is beyond me. Maybe if you are lucky enough to get it to work for you, you think you did something right, but believe me, you are just one of the lucky ones. I googled this, and there are TONS of folks in the same boat. This is the most difficult piece of equipment I have ever encountered. It is not at all intuitive, user friendly or easy in any way at all. It is exactly the opposite and everything I've read about it says it is complicated, convoluted, and you have to jump through all types of hoops, and then still pray you MIGHT get lucky and have some success.

I will be calling Garmin when they open to see if they can help, but it is ridiculous that it should have to be this way.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #7407
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
I think I read there is a 50 point limit on routes? Is that correct? How can you determine how many points you have used in the route as you are creating the route?

ducnek screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 06:07 AM
ducnek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #7408
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
keeping name titles when sending gpx to Montana

What am I missing?
I have routes and tracks in Basecamp labelled with descriptive titles, but when I transfer them to either the SD card or the Montana, the names become generic.
How do I keep the titles when transferring?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #7409
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
What am I missing?
I have routes and tracks in Basecamp labelled with descriptive titles, but when I transfer them to either the SD card or the Montana, the names become generic.
How do I keep the titles when transferring?
What do you mean when you say they become generic? Can you give a few examples of route names as they appeared on your PC and what they became once transferred to your GPS?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #7410
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
ok, I called Garmin. I was looking at the Finder on the Mac and the names lose all specific titles like "Day1_Route1" and just say "route" or route1, but after unplugging, on the Montana they actually do have the titles in tact.

What's strange is that if I rename a route on the Montana using the rename function, the titles do show up correctly in the Mac Finder.
So I guess I shouldn't look at the Finder and just use Basecamp for renaming and transferring to and from Montana.

It's just a little unsettling when it's not consistent.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote