ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #7471
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
OK well just thinking, the plane trip was not 8000 miles either
Maybe it's an accumulation of similar errors? The reason I think it might be at least partly to blame is something I observed with my 62S. The 62 is mostly used as a handheld, often geocaching, and sometimes I turn it off at one location, then a few days later I turn it on at a totally different location and the trip meter (and likely the Odometer) thinks I've travelled from the previous location to this one. I have, obviously, but I don't need to keep track of that distance.

This is why I notice: I reset the Trip Odometer before the gps has found its current location, then once it knows where it is, it adds the distance from the previous location to the current one in the Trip Odometer which had been at 0 initially. It's caught me out on a few occasions when I was walking the dog and wondered why it looked like I had gone much farther on my walk than I thought I had, and I knew I had reset the trip odometer before starting. But the gps didn't know exactly where it was when I reset it...
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #7472
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
So now I'm working on the ultimate lanyard or tether.

I'd like one that secures it in case of a get off but also is VERY easy to use the camera while still sitting on the bike (i.e. quickly). So quick removal of Montana from mount without having to disconnect the tether at all.

I've seen good ideas involving a short carabiner clipped somewhere, but I would HAVE to unclip it to put the camera to my face, and to me I don't like the idea if the biner rattling around. But it is a simple solution. Maybe I'll just rubberize it with Plasti Dip or liquid electrical tape.

A long tether is a pain as you would have to wrap it around so it isn't dangling every time you use it. Too much time.

So.....

My latest more complicated idea is to find a (skinny) coiled cable with end loops on it. The closest I can find online is a used laptop cable ($10), where I would cut off the locking end and crimp a wire rope ferrule/clamp on the raw end so it has a loop on each end. Then put heat shrink and more liquid electrical tape over the new crimped area. I'm hoping my local Ace HW has a crimper.

I think it is overkill but anybody have a similar idea?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #7473
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
My lanyard is a bit more robust but it is easy to remove the Montana to take pictures if needed. It came in handy when the RAM mount base sheered off due to rough conditions (which is why I don't recommend the plastic AMPs mounts).

1/2" Fastex Buckle with some 1/2 webbing (I used a Touratech Accessary Strap)...not long enough to interfere with steering if the mount does let go (or one doesn't get the GPS firmly latched in the mount).

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #7474
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,921
I use almost the exact same setup as DRT. Just took an old paintball lanyard and cut it shorter.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #7475
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
Sold. I like it. thanks.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #7476
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,203
After 4 hours of trying to get City Navigator to show up on my Montana and failing, my mind is toast.
Progress bar says its downloading/ processing/installing but after a hour with each attempt, it doesn't show up on computer or Montana.

Why isn't this a simple process?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #7477
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
After 4 hours of trying to get City Navigator to show up on my Montana and failing, my mind is toast.
Progress bar says its downloading/ processing/installing but after a hour with each attempt, it doesn't show up on computer or Montana.

It is a simple process.

What part, from the link, are you having trouble with?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #7478
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
It is a simple process.

What part, from the link, are you having trouble with?
Thanks for the reply.

Installing City Navigator North America NT on my Montana 600.

Received the software disc from GPS Central last week.
First, after inserting disc, it ask for product key and I type it in the proper space and continue. During the first download, it ask if I'd like to download the latest maps from Garmin or download from the CD. I choose download and it says it'll take a hour or so and begins the process without error.

When done, I look for anything in the Montana that has changed in "Map Information/Select Map" part of "Map".
Only see what came with the Montana out of the box and the old Topo maps that I loaded last year. They are all "enabled" and do not see CNNANT.
I look on this computer for a for anything relating to Garmin CNNANT Icon and nother either.
Look in programs and nothing.
Switch to Nuvi view and it looks just like TOPO with the elevation lines.
Disable all maps that came with the Montana (grand canyon,,,Mt. Blanc,,,the Topo of areas I loaded last year,,ect).
Load the disc over and over with same result that all went well.
Would like to choose the option to load from disc and try that, but no longer see that option. Now it only downloads straight from Garmin online (I think)
and I don't get the option of downloading strictly from CD.
Mentally, I'm toast. It shouldn't be this complex,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should it?
Do I need to do a master bigtime reset on the garmin Montana and try again?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #7479
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

Installing City Navigator North America NT on my Montana 600.

Received the software disc from GPS Central last week.
First, after inserting disc, it ask for product key and I type it in the proper space and continue. During the first download, it ask if I'd like to download the latest maps from Garmin or download from the CD. I choose download and it says it'll take a hour or so and begins the process without error.

When done, I look for anything in the Montana that has changed in "Map Information/Select Map" part of "Map".
Only see what came with the Montana out of the box and the old Topo maps that I loaded last year. They are all "enabled" and do not see CNNANT.
I look on this computer for a for anything relating to Garmin CNNANT Icon and nother either.
Look in programs and nothing.
Switch to Nuvi view and it looks just like TOPO with the elevation lines.
Disable all maps that came with the Montana (grand canyon,,,Mt. Blanc,,,the Topo of areas I loaded last year,,ect).
Load the disc over and over with same result that all went well.
Would like to choose the option to load from disc and try that, but no longer see that option. Now it only downloads straight from Garmin online (I think)
and I don't get the option of downloading strictly from CD.
Mentally, I'm toast. It shouldn't be this complex,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should it?
Do I need to do a master bigtime reset on the garmin Montana and try again?
Take a break, walk away for awhile.

Then, return to the link I provided, and carefully read through it all.

You will first install the maps to your computer, from the DVD, and they will be available in BaseCamp.

Once that is complete, you can send the map from your computer (PC or Mac) to your Montana using MapInstall.

All the steps required to accomplish these tasks, PC or Mac, are clearly presented.

But first, walk away for a few minutes and clear your mind :)
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #7480
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:

Welcome to my world~ I have probably logged a couple hundred hours over the past 2 weeks trying to get CNNA loaded onto my montana. Multiple phone calls and live computer work with Garmin and apple. Still not working.

DO you have a mac?
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #7481
tvan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Not Enough Memory

G'day Everyone,

Noticed of late when I go into "Where to" and pick an address that my GPS has trouble calculating and comes up with not enough memory.
Looked in memory and it shows 1% , can't seem to figure this out, can anyone steer me in the right direction please
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #7482
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Thanks Atlas,,,walking away helped and can see in Basecamp the CNNA NT.
BUT NOW where is "mapinstall"? is that something else I have to buy or download from somewhere?
Is it on the CNNA NT CD?

In old topo mapsource, I could check the blocks of maps I'd like to install and topo would install.
That tool that was shown on mapsource isn't shown on the Basecamp toolbar, so I'm assuming I must have the mapinstall thing.
God this is hard.
Is it possible to pack everything up in a box and send Montana and software to Garmin to put CNNA NT? Spent the whole day,,,,,,,,,almost 9 hours now looking and pressing buttons.

Help!

Quote:
Take a break, walk away for awhile.

Then, return to the link I provided, and carefully read through it all.

You will first install the maps to your computer, from the DVD, and they will be available in BaseCamp.

Once that is complete, you can send the map from your computer (PC or Mac) to your Montana using MapInstall.

All the steps required to accomplish these tasks, PC or Mac, are clearly presented.

But first, walk away for a few minutes and clear your mind :)
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #7483
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Thanks Atlas,,,walking away helped and can see in Basecamp the CNNA NT.
BUT NOW where is "mapinstall"? is that something else I have to buy or download from somewhere?
Is it on the CNNA NT CD?
It is usually installed with BaseCamp. Are you PC or Mac?

Quote:
In old topo mapsource, I could check the blocks of maps I'd like to install and topo would install.
That tool that was shown on mapsource isn't shown on the Basecamp toolbar, so I'm assuming I must have the mapinstall thing.
God this is hard.
Similar functionality is available with MapInstall.

The step by step information is available from the linked page for each method and for each OS version.

Quote:
Is it possible to pack everything up in a box and send Montana and software to Garmin to put CNNA NT? Spent the whole day,,,,,,,,,almost 9 hours now looking and pressing buttons.

Help!
You must conquer this exercise yourself if you ever wish to master your Montana GPSr. Installing maps and data is the simple part. Making you Montana function as you desire will take even more patience.

But, you are getting closer, I can feel it.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #7484
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Yep, we're getting closer.

I'm using a Pc. Was hoping with the CNNA nt in the map box, that by simply pressing the icon showing "arrow pointing at GPS", the maps of Canada and US would load to Montana.
Instead,
It goes to "Birdseye Imagery Device Activation"
Then at progress bar begins with:
Please wait while we contact Garmin servers to verify device activation.
Followed by new pop-up error:
"Error contacting Garmin servers. Would you like to try again?"

I'm of course not interested in Birdseye view.
JUST simply want CNNA NT on the Montana.

Don't give up on my dumb ass!
We're getting closer.

Quote:
It is usually installed with BaseCamp. Are you PC or Mac?

Similar functionality is available with MapInstall.

The step by step information is available from the linked page for each method and for each OS version.

You must conquer this exercise yourself if you ever wish to master your Montana GPSr. Installing maps and data is the simple part. Making you Montana function as you desire will take even more patience.

But, you are getting closer, I can feel it.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #7485
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Madhouse, if you can see your CNNA map set in BaseCamp now, then it is easy to get it onto the Montana:

While you are in BaseCamp, with the map set you want selected in the drop-down menu at the top, right click on the destination in the GPS unit (the unit "internal storage" or the "User Data" folder on the card) and then right-click and tell it to install the maps. Example below, of loading maps onto a microSD card in the unit:

[/QUOTE]
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote