ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #7471
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You say that a "track is just start point and endpoint". A track with just a start and end point is a straight line from the start to the end point. If there are more than two points in a track, they are all the same type of points.

It seems that the only effective difference between a track and direct route is that the track is just a series of track points and a direct route is just a series of way points (and maybe via points). Both are just straight lines connecting one point to the next (with more points supported in tracks than direct routes), distance measurements are calculated the same way for both and you can convert on to the other.
You're correct in that both a Track and a Direct Route can accomplish the same thing. The difference is that with a Track there is (as has been noted previously) a 10,000 point limit vs a 250 point limit for DR's. If resolution of the path is an issue, you know, so you don't miss that critical uphill or downhill "Y" intersection, a Track would be my choice since when navigating I'm going to see changes in elevation as "waypoints" along the path. So, if I need to be going "up-hill" at the "Y" I should see an up-arrow waypoint on the path. You are correct in that the distance from point to point is calculated the same between a Track and DR. Oh, and don't forget, you can have Waypoints along a Track and they will be included in calculations when Navigating (GO) such as Dist-to-Next and the Navigation List as long as they are within 50meters of the Track path.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #7472
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
You say that a "track is just start point and endpoint". A track with just a start and end point is a straight line from the start to the end point. If there are more than two points in a track, they are all the same type of points.
What I meant by that statement is that there aren't any waypoints inherently in a track you are navigating - just the start point and the end point. The Montana is pretty nifty in that it will use waypoints that are along the track though. However if you take a track from a log or create a track in BC or mapsucks and navigate it, you only have the start point and stop point as waypoints. Yes, it does not navigate it as a direct line between the start point and end point, it does it as a series of lines connecting all the track points, but the track points are not the same as waypoints (e.g. no "distance to", "bearing to" or approach annunciators, etc.)

However if you create a route from waypoints in BC, allow it to autoroute, then turn that into a track, import *both* into the unit and navigate the track, you will have the resolution of the track and also the waypoints of the route....pretty slick if you ask me...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #7473
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You're correct in that both a Track and a Direct Route can accomplish the same thing. The difference is that with a Track there is (as has been noted previously) a 10,000 point limit vs a 250 point limit for DR's. If resolution of the path is an issue, you know, so you don't miss that critical uphill or downhill "Y" intersection, a Track would be my choice since when navigating I'm going to see changes in elevation as "waypoints" along the path. So, if I need to be going "up-hill" at the "Y" I should see an up-arrow waypoint on the path. You are correct in that the distance from point to point is calculated the same between a Track and DR. Oh, and don't forget, you can have Waypoints along a Track and they will be included in calculations when Navigating (GO) such as Dist-to-Next and the Navigation List as long as they are within 50meters of the Track path.
Good info. I have had a GPS since before they had maps in them and so am used to navigating "direct" from waypoint to waypoint. I will consider using the strategy of creating a track to follow and having waypoints along the track to indicate major direction changes. I have always just created routes and had not considered or even realized the benefits of navigating along a track rather than a route.

Thanks.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #7474
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not sure of any advantage of using a track to using the unit autoroute to navigate except in cases where the unit can't autoroute due to the roads not being in the mapset. In this case you can take the portion(s) that autoroute, convert them to track(s), manually create track(s) for the portion(s) that don't and then splice these together into one track. If the unit can autoroute the route then I don't see advantage to navigating the track.

I might be missing something....
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #7475
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I'm not sure of any advantage of using a track to using the unit autoroute to navigate except in cases where the unit can't autoroute due to the roads not being in the mapset. In this case you can take the portion(s) that autoroute, convert them to track(s), manually create track(s) for the portion(s) that don't and then splice these together into one track. If the unit can autoroute the route then I don't see advantage to navigating the track.

I might be missing something....
You aren't missing anything.

I don't use autoroute. The free maps I use don't autoroute. Plus I don't trust it. I figure out what my route will be by using a variety of maps both electronic and paper and then check my route by viewing it on Google Earth to make sure there is actually a road there.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #7476
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Oh, and don't forget, you can have Waypoints along a Track and they will be included in calculations when Navigating (GO) such as Dist-to-Next and the Navigation List as long as they are within 50meters of the Track path.

Cheers,
I'm going to have to experiment with that. I made a track to the grocery store yesterday and tried to navigate it back home by using Tracback. The map worked fine, but I was trying out the 4 small data fields dashboard and didn't get much useful information, as there were only start and finish points and a couple of elevation points (hi-low).

I wanted to see if the Compass in CDI mode would tell me my off track error, but no such luck. I tried course and bearing in the data fields, but it only showed bearing to any one of the four points. Perhaps if I laid half a dozen waypoints along the track as I went I might get more useful navigation info. I'll try that next time.

I will probably end up using your method of route over track. At the slow speeds I travel on the TW, most any form of navigation works well....
Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #7477
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
You aren't missing anything.

I don't use autoroute. The free maps I use don't autoroute. Plus I don't trust it. I figure out what my route will be by using a variety of maps both electronic and paper and then check my route by viewing it on Google Earth to make sure there is actually a road there.
I just build a route with waypoints and if it autoroutes well I just run with it. I can always do whatever on the fly. I'll often look at the routes I'm uncertain of on google earth and see if they make sense and that's easy enough. If I have to break the known, good autoroutes apart that's also easy enough. If I feel so compelled (very infrequently!) I'll build a track to connect the autorouted routes.

I guess I'm sort of lazy though...
Old 04-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #7478
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I'm going to have to experiment with that. I made a track to the grocery store yesterday and tried to navigate it back home by using Tracback. The map worked fine, but I was trying out the 4 small data fields dashboard and didn't get much useful information, as there were only start and finish points and a couple of elevation points (hi-low).

I wanted to see if the Compass in CDI mode would tell me my off track error, but no such luck. I tried course and bearing in the data fields, but it only showed bearing to any one of the four points. Perhaps if I laid half a dozen waypoints along the track as I went I might get more useful navigation info. I'll try that next time.

I will probably end up using your method of route over track. At the slow speeds I travel on the TW, most any form of navigation works well....
The "C=Course" in CDI is for Waypoint to Waypoint (a straight line) navigation, as are Course and Bearing, and mostly used in Marine navigation where there are no (few) obstacles in your line of sight.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #7479
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
The "C=Course" in CDI is for Waypoint to Waypoint navigation, as are Course and Bearing...

Cheers,
CDI = Course Deviation Indicator. I had one in my airplanes, real nice for staying precisely on course in the air or the water or trackless wastes....

So I guess I'll just look at the map page for tracking.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #7480
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
CDI = Course Deviation Indicator. I had one in my airplanes, real nice for staying precisely on course in the air or the water or trackless wastes....

So I guess I'll just look at the map page for tracking.
Actually, in the days before [any] good maps on the GPS we use to use the CDI to "generally" find our way to a Waypoint. The term "generally" means lots of turning around and trying another road that "looks like it might go in that direction".

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #7481
Boughton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
New Garmin Montana is a nightmare

Well, I think I might have gotten the lemon. I have had nothing but trouble with my new montana 600 and trying to download CNNA from DVD to my macbook pro with 10.6.8 OSX. It will not load correctly it keeps seizing up during the download. Now Im trying to download the new 2013.4 maps from garmin and they will not download either, stalls out after about 1-2 hrs.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the Montana and MAC computers or should I say Garmin and MAC. Are they just not compatible? Im pretty sure my computer is not the problem.

I want this to work!!!

Thanks Mike B
Boughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #7482
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughton View Post
Well, I think I might have gotten the lemon. I have had nothing but trouble with my new montana 600 and trying to download CNNA from DVD to my macbook pro with 10.6.8 OSX. It will not load correctly it keeps seizing up during the download. Now Im trying to download the new 2013.4 maps from garmin and they will not download either, stalls out after about 1-2 hrs.

Has anyone else had similar problems with the Montana and MAC computers or should I say Garmin and MAC. Are they just not compatible? Im pretty sure my computer is not the problem.

I want this to work!!!

Thanks Mike B
Why do you think there is something wrong with your Montana? Sounds to me like you're having Map installation issues on your MBP.

Do you have BaseCamp installed on your MBP? When did you purchase the DVD for CNNA? Do you know what version CNNA it is?

If CNNA is not installed on your MBP properly, you will not get the CNNA Update to download and install properly either.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #7483
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Prolly a dumb question but my Odometer shows like 10,000 miles and there's no way I've gone more than probably 1000 - 2000. I took it on an airplane but am sure it was turned off, other than that I've been commuting in my cage learning it mainly.

Why would this occur? AND is there any way to reset it or edit it or?? I'm not talking Trip Odometer but the main Odometer.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #7484
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
Prolly a dumb question but my Odometer shows like 10,000 miles and there's no way I've gone more than probably 1000 - 2000. I took it on an airplane but am sure it was turned off, other than that I've been commuting in my cage learning it mainly.

Why would this occur? AND is there any way to reset it or edit it or?? I'm not talking Trip Odometer but the main Odometer.
Can't say why it's showing what you see but the only way to reset it is to do a Master Reset - and don't forget to change your Profile to the factory Recreation before doing so.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #7485
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

If you took it on a plane, perhaps it's including the distance the gps traveled from where it last was on, to where you turned it on again?

Resetting the Odometer requires resetting the gps, unfortunately. Fortunately, a reset on the Montana is not as destructive as it is on most other gps. My Nuvi 780, for instance, is totally screwed up when I reset it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote