ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #61
ww73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
The montana looks interesting.

I have a zumo 550. I ride 80/20 on/off road. Is the montana something that would do both? Do you think it's better to get the 650t with the 100K map built-in, or get the 600 and buy the maps separately, i.e the 24K West DVD?

ww73 screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 07:07 PM
ww73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #62
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
The T has 500MB more internal memory.

3.5GB vs 3.0GB

Do they include the dvd for the preloaded maps?

The Garmin site says the 100K maps are now routable???

TOPO U.S. 100K -
  • Contains routable roads, trails and highways in metropolitan and rural areas so getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible devices.
This is why I got the 24K high res Garmin Topo ie for routing. THis is good news.
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #63
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww73 View Post
The montana looks interesting.

I have a zumo 550. I ride 80/20 on/off road. Is the montana something that would do both? Do you think it's better to get the 650t with the 100K map built-in, or get the 600 and buy the maps separately, i.e the 24K West DVD?
As you can see from the many sources (GPSCity.com) and the Garmin marketing material, the Montana does Auto Routing. It also has all of the On Trail features that the other Garmin mapping handhelds have and more.

If the 100K Topo's preloaded on the Montana 650t do have the routing data, that would be a good price-performer considering you're also getting additional onboard memory (3.5GB vs. 3GB in the 600 & 650).

The problem I have (I think I've said this already? ) with auto routing on Topo map's is that the contour lines significantly clutter the map screen when you are not on trail and using the GPS at higher map zoom levels. It would be great if you could turn off the contour lines when you wanted to (like you can in BaseCamp) but I don't know of any Garmin GPS that supports that.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #64
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
SO if you let the Montana display the DEM contour there will be no lines???

Correct???

I know the 24K map has DEM.

What about the 100K MAP?
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #65
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As you can see from the many sources (GPSCity.com) and the Garmin marketing material, the Montana does Auto Routing. It also has all of the On Trail features that the other Garmin mapping handhelds have and more.

If the 100K Topo's preloaded on the Montana 650t do have the routing data, that would be a good price-performer considering you're also getting additional onboard memory (3.5GB vs. 3GB in the 600 & 650).

The problem I have (I think I've said this already? ) with auto routing on Topo map's is that the contour lines significantly clutter the map screen when you are not on trail and using the GPS at higher map zoom levels. It would be great if you could turn off the contour lines when you wanted to (like you can in BaseCamp) but I don't know of any Garmin GPS that supports that.
Maybe the bigger drive on the 650s is for Pictures?
Twohondas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #66
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
I think only the 650T has the larger internal memory?
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #67
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I asked Jordan at GPSCity to video tape the Map zoom level detail of the Montana 600 Series. He did the video tonight and it's up on their site here!!! What customer service, and I haven't even purchased from them...yet!

I'm really impressed with the level of map detail at the higher zoom levels. I compared the Montana to my zumo 660. The Montana has significantly more detail (secondary roads, names) than the zumo 660 from 5mi to 1.2mi - after which they are about the same.

Montana's looking better and better every day!

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #68
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
On my Oregon (with the Topo and CO Topo I have loaded and CNNT off), if you go to Setup/Maps/Detail, if you drop the detail down (check Most vs Least) you will see the contour lines less and less as you go down the scale.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #69
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

But don't you also lose other detail along with contour lines? My Dakota 20 does.

I'm talking about an "on/off" switch for contour lines. That way you get the relief shading and the routing detail without the clutter of the contour lines when you don't need them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #70
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

After looking over all of GPSCity's videos on the Montana, I see one glaring omission in the Map page Dashboard options. There's no option for the four corner transparent Data Fields like we have on the old chartplotters and now on the zumo 66x units for example.

I can't imagine that this would be much effort though given the significant customization capabilities already available. I'm lobbying for a software update and this thing's not even released yet

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #71
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
If you mean changing them to different data, I am sure it is like many Garmins (the Oregon), just click on that field and it opens up and you can choose. I would bet with it set on Small Data also, you could have quite a few more populating the screen.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #72
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

If you look at the GPSCity video on Map Page Dashboard customization, you will see that the Small Data Fields is a four-field "block" at the top or side of the screen. Not the four corner transparent fields as illustrated in my zumo 660 screenshot above. Yes the Montana data fields can be changed to show any of the list of data types. But, there is no such Dashboard configuration/layout as the one I'm talking about - at least not on the prerelease unit GPSCity has.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #73
NoDirt4Me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
After looking over all of GPSCity's videos on the Montana, I see one glaring omission in the Map page Dashboard options. There's no option for the four corner transparent Data Fields like we have on the old chartplotters and now on the zumo 66x units for example.

I can't imagine that this would be much effort though given the significant customization capabilities already available. I'm lobbying for a software update and this thing's not even released yet

Cheers,

That's the exact question I asked GPSCity yesterday - only I should have been more specific.

Quote:
What data fields are available? Can the data fields be overlayed on the 2-D map page when using the Montana as an automobile navigator?
The answer I received did not make me think they understood my question.

Quote:
Hello Fred,

On the 2D map you will have all various data options available on the trip computer screen just like the Oregon, GPSmap 60, GPSMap 62S and other Garmin mapping handhelds but on the map screen also.

www.gpscity.com/garmin-montana-600-videos.html?youtube=fg6DBgpdHMQ
What I wanted to know is what data fields are available, and can they be overlayed as transparent data fields into the corners of the map page like I do with my 276C.
NoDirt4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #74
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

There is a very extensive list of data types that can be picked for display - many more than the old chartotters since this device also caters to the fitness and geocaching crowd. If you use the Pause on the video you can see all of them as Jordan scrolls through them - tedious but doable.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #75
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Ok, I already decided to buy the Oregon, but now I see the Montana, I think we have a new winner.

Question: what disadvantages or less functionality does the Montana have compared to the Oregon?

Montana vs. Oregon:

+ Screen: bigger, higher resolution, better readability in bright light conditions, screen protector from Garmin
+ Battery: 3x AA instead of 2x AA thus improving autonomy
+ Audio output (not interesting for me)
+ External antenne connector (don't know if interesting for me)

- No Wherigo (not interesting for me)
- No disabling automatic recalculating routes (disabling feature is interesting)

?
Schannulleke is offline   Reply With Quote