ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #7531
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Aside from having no dashboard at all, is there any way to get rid of the annoying speed limit field and its little red friend that pops up if you exceed it?
Stay off the highway.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #7532
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Stay off the highway.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #7533
phil ten
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi

hope this is in the right place as im new to this board

im still getting to grips with my Garmin Montana but have a small issue. When you go to the "where to?" icon on the main dashboard it brings up a list of ways you can navigate......like intersections, all POIs, addresses, routes, waypoints and so on.

Except my waypoint option has now gone??? but i havent changed any options. you can go into a sub menu to change the order in which these options are displayed. When i do this "waypoints" is listed as an option but wont display when pressing "where to?" from the main dash screen!!

any ideas??
phil ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:13 AM   #7534
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil ten View Post
Except my waypoint option has now gone??? but i havent changed any options. you can go into a sub menu to change the order in which these options are displayed. When i do this "waypoints" is listed as an option but wont display when pressing "where to?" from the main dash screen!!

any ideas??
I think a "Master Reset" will restore the "Waypoints" to the "Where To" menu on your gps.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #7535
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think a "Master Reset" will restore the "Waypoints" to the "Where To" menu on your gps.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
Of course this all assumes that there actually are Waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #7536
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
I guess I did a upgrade to my 600. To be honest, I don't remember being asked if I wanted to upgrade.
But I have some of the issues described here. (Have to press hard on keys several times to make selections) and (I'm on a old well used road, and it shows me floating in space.)
I'm concerned about two things: how hard is it to go back to 4.6? (If that's what I want) and the master reset.
I have three profiles that are set up the way I want. I have 17 days of routes and tracks squared away for a Alaska trip along with other tracks. Will all that be gone when I hit master reset? I don't want to have to set up everything again.
Thanks
Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #7537
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I have three profiles that are set up the way I want. I have 17 days of routes and tracks squared away for a Alaska trip along with other tracks. Will all that be gone when I hit master reset? I don't want to have to set up everything again.
Thanks
Connect the Montana to your computer, and copy the Tracks, Profiles, etc., from the Montana to your PC.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #7538
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I guess I did a upgrade to my 600. To be honest, I don't remember being asked if I wanted to upgrade.
But I have some of the issues described here. (Have to press hard on keys several times to make selections) and (I'm on a old well used road, and it shows me floating in space.)
I'm concerned about two things: how hard is it to go back to 4.6? (If that's what I want) and the master reset.
Thanks
Jeff
As was mentioned by Yossarian™, you should be in the habit of backing up your personal data when you are going to update software or do Master Reset's. To your question, a Master Reset will/should only change your "user settings" (User Data). It will not remove/change any of your Waypoint, Tracks, Routes, Photos, Geocaches, etc. When the Master Reset is complete, you only need to change your profile from Recreation back to your personal profile - which may have been moved to the bottom of the Profiles list.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #7539
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Ok.. I'll back it up, and give the master reset a try.
Thanks
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #7540
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Yup, the only thing I ever seem to lose with a master reset is the trip computer information.

As always, backup first though just in case.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #7541
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Can anybody direct me to the "EASY BUTTON"......

Got a problem with the Montana.Leaving in morning so I don't have time to read all 500 pages .I have been using tracks for dualsport and snowmobiling,but for this trip someone sent me some routes of various lengths.I have tried using Basecamp and Mapsource to load these routes,but they continually show up as tracks when loaded into the Montana.If I zoom in they sometimes snap to the road and look like routes,sometimes the both the track and route are present,but its kind of iffy and I would really like something concrete before heading out into the mountains with a unit that sometimes shows me the way..

I'm sure its probably just a setting,but I have been over most of them and they look correct.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #7542
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post

Got a problem with the Montana.Leaving in morning so I don't have time to read all 500 pages .I have been using tracks for dualsport and snowmobiling,but for this trip someone sent me some routes of various lengths.I have tried using Basecamp and Mapsource to load these routes,but they continually show up as tracks when loaded into the Montana.If I zoom in they sometimes snap to the road and look like routes,sometimes the both the track and route are present,but its kind of iffy and I would really like something concrete before heading out into the mountains with a unit that sometimes shows me the way..

I'm sure its probably just a setting,but I have been over most of them and they look correct.

Forget Mapsource. Use Basecamp.

The whole route/track thing's been researched and documented very thoroughly in the Routing With Garmin's Montana... thread. I suggest you read that asap.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #7543
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

"Track Distance"

I don't remember seeing this Trip Computer field before. Or maybe I just didn't understand what it was? Anyway, this looks useful.

I reset my Montana yesterday when I was switching firmware versions (forward to 4.90) so when I headed out on the bike this morning the Odometer, and Trip Odometer were at 0. After I got home I was adding fields to the Trip Computer and saw the Track Distance field and added it.

At that point the Trip Odometer and Track Distance were the same. I cleared the track through Track Manager, and reset the Trip Odometer so it's now reading 0, and the Track Distance is still reading 64.82 Km. So even though the Track is cleared on the gps, the distance is still recorded.

This might be handy sometime.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #7544
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post

In Basecamp, if they have the footprint icon and when you double click them you see Summary and Notes in the list view, it's a track. Under Edit menu, use
the Create Route from Track then transfer both to the Montana. Rename them something like Day 1 Route and Day 1 track to be sure what you're looking at.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #7545
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
"Track Distance"

I don't remember seeing this Trip Computer field before. Or maybe I just didn't understand what it was? Anyway, this looks useful.
Track Distance has been available since firmware v3.70, released in December 2011.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote