ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #7531
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I did notice I was not getting any lane assist on a long 8 hour trip this weekend, running 4.90.

I did get left and right turn indicators, however.

Where are you expecting to see Distance to Destination with Nuvi Dashboard enabled?
I get no "Automotive Turn" data on either the nuvi Dashboard or in a Data Field. The data we were discussing was the Dist to Next data field option which is not shown as available with Routing with the nuvi Dashboard. It is available when you use a Data Field in another Dashboard or the Trip Computer.

There are other anomalies with this release related to navigation so I think I would avoid this update - it came so fast I think it received very little system testing. Garmin doesn't do Regression Testing the way the rest of the Software Industry does - at least that's my impression.

The anomaly above I have not been able to reproduce as I was just running through a bunch of random actions.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 01:39 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #7532
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I get no "Automotive Turn" data on either the nuvi Dashboard or in a Data Field. The data we were discussing was the Dist to Next data field option which is not shown as available with Routing with the nuvi Dashboard. It is available when you use a Data Field in another Dashboard or the Trip Computer.

There are other anomalies with this release related to navigation so I think I would avoid this update - it came so fast I think it received very little system testing. Garmin doesn't do Regression Testing the way the rest of the Software Industry does - at least that's my impression.

The anomaly above I have not been able to reproduce as I was just running through a bunch of random actions.

Cheers,

Does not 'Ready To Navigate' insinuate a destination has yet to be chosen?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #7533
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Does not 'Ready To Navigate' insinuate a destination has yet to be chosen?
Exactly. Indicating that the unit is not navigating.

But, and I was not clear on this, the point that I was making with the screenshot was that the non-navigating data field on the left shows an option that is not one of the nuvi picks even when it IS navigating.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #7534
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Exactly. Indicating that the unit is not navigating.

But, and I was not clear on this, the point that I was making with the screenshot was that the non-navigating data field on the left shows an option that is not one of the nuvi picks even when it IS navigating.

Cheers,
OK, got it!

Little slow today ;-)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #7535
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Same experience with v4.9: "Dist to Next" not offered as an option in the nuvi Dashboard and....etc.
Cheers,
Garmin, that sucks!!!!!!

I forget, how do your regress to 4.7? I have Montana 4.70 GCD.zip saved on my HDD. Just extract and run the Montana 4.10.gcd file with the Montana connected?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #7536
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Garmin, that sucks!!!!!!

I forget, how do your regress to 4.7? I have Montana 4.70 GCD.zip saved on my HDD. Just extract and run the Montana 4.10.gcd file with the Montana connected?
Not quite. FIRST...set your GPS Profile to Recreation then connect the unit to your computer and Unzip the file and change the name of the resulting GCD to GUPDATE.GCD. Then place that file in the \Garmin\ directory of the Montana. Then disconnect the unit in the usual way and power back on.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #7537
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Not quite.
How could I forget something as SIMPLE as that that I only use once every two years or so?

How do you keep all this Byzantine stuff straight in your head?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #7538
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,667
Quote:
Not quite. FIRST...set your GPS Profile to Recreation then connect the unit to your computer and Unzip the file and change the name of the resulting GCD to GUPDATE.GCD. Then place that file in the \Garmin\ directory of the Montana. Then disconnect the unit in the usual way and power back on.

Cheers,
I decided to go back to 4.70 too, but I had already copied the file over to the gps when I saw your warning about switching to the Recreation profile. I let the gps apply 4.70 though I knew I was in one of my customized profiles. The update did bring me back to the Recreation profile, but it made no difference to the other profiles so once I changed profiles back to my Topo setup, it was exactly as before. So was my Canada Enhanced Basemap, and my Auto Nav profile. They were exactly as before the firmware change.

I think your warning is probably important if you're using a standard Garmin supplied profile, because that may be changed back to some default, but if your important profiles are ones you created yourself with names which Garmin hasn't chosen, then you're probably ok to leave it in whatever profile it's in when you change firmware versions.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #7539
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think your warning is probably important if you're using a standard Garmin supplied profile, because that may be changed back to some default, but if your important profiles are ones you created yourself with names which Garmin hasn't chosen, then you're probably ok to leave it in whatever profile it's in when you change firmware versions.
Yes, I noticed this new behavior today myself. Previously (before v4.7) if your custom profile was the first profile in the Profiles List, when you did a Master Reset (which can happen depending upon how you do a software update) the first profile in the list was reset to Recreation but the "name" was not changed so it still had your custom profile name but was the Recreation profile and your profile was overwritten.

Now, it appears that all custom profiles are moved from the top to the bottom of the list and then the Recreation profile is rewritten and set to the current profile. This was one of my "please change this" behaviors that has now been fixed.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 AM   #7540
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,088
Many Thanks to you all!

Thanks everyone that spoke up to help me get the City Navigator installed on the SD card on my Montana.
Its working great and figured out how to make it work like the Nuvi that I keep in the car.
Able to switch from CNNA to Topo with no problems.

Could not have done it without everyone's help.

Thanks Again!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #7541
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Could not have done it without everyone's help.

Thanks Again!
That's what we are here for.....you sure as hell can't depend on Garmin for a lot of this abstruse stuff. The wealth of information here and in the Wikispaces puts them to shame....if they had any, that is.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #7542
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Now, it appears that all custom profiles are moved from the top to the bottom of the list and then the Recreation profile is rewritten and set to the current profile.

Cheers,
Yes, but most of us will still have to overwrite the Recreation Profile with our own if we want any functionality out of it. Why do they have to change anything?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #7543
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
4.9 Update

OK, before downgrading to 4.6 (the last stable, glove friendly firmware) I think I got most of my major issues with 4.9 resolved. I ended up installing 4.9 and then doing a master reset. As a result I now have distance to next (with lane assist) as well as the speed limit. The indicated speed also now changes to red again when exceeding the limit. I'll poke along some more with 4.9 and reserve final judgement for a little longer.

I guess the key here is to always do a master reset after any firmware update.

IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #7544
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,879
Aside from having no dashboard at all, is there any way to get rid of the annoying speed limit field and its little red friend that pops up if you exceed it?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #7545
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Aside from having no dashboard at all, is there any way to get rid of the annoying speed limit field and its little red friend that pops up if you exceed it?
Not if you want to use the nuvi Dashboard.

P.S. My v4.90 started working as well after my second MR and third install. I'm not sure yet how good it's working still running scenario's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 09:22 AM