ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #7591
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
New 600 owner here. I have the topo US 24k west and the north central maps loaded into Basecamp. I finally, after a few attempts, successfully loaded the 24k west onto the 600 micro card. Wow, it took like 8 hours but it worked. My questions is can I down load my north central map onto the same card? Will it mess with the map that's on there now? It's a 16 gig card so that should be plenty of storage space.

The back story as to why I'm asking is that when I was having problems getting the 24k west map to load I tried selecting just half the map at a time to up load. That worked great but when I tried loading the other half of the same map it wrote over the first half I had previously loaded. The only way to load the entire map was by selecting the entire map and loading it all at once.

Now that I have spent so much time getting my 24k west map loaded I really don't want to mess it up. And I really wanted these two maps on the same micro card.

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like you are using Mapsource?

If you use BaseCamp (and you should), you will not have the issue of overwriting maps on the uSD Card.

Everything you need to know about loading maps on your Montana can be found here.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #7592
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Sounds like you are using Mapsource?

If you use BaseCamp (and you should), you will not have the issue of overwriting maps on the uSD Card.

Everything you need to know about loading maps on your Montana can be found here.
Thanks, I'll check out that link. And I am using Basemap rather than Mapsource.

After reading through that link it looks like maybe I should be setting the 600 interface to "Spanner" for easier map loading verses the Basemap Mapinstall program. Does that make sense?
findLadukebob

Ladukebob screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:33 AM
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #7593
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

So with the interface set to Spanner and Mass Storage selected when I open MapInstaller with my device selected and dropped down, in my case "H drive" which is my SD card when I open that up it shows nothing stored there. The storage gauge on the right shows 16 gigs of available space on the drive. But when I open the H drive and click properties in "My Computer" it shows the 24k west map as using about 3.4 gigs.

When I clicked on the 24k north central map to install to the H drive I got a warning that I exceeded 4 gigs which to sounds like it's looking at the internal storage of the 600. Not sure if I'm missing a setting in the 600 somewhere. It looks pretty straight forward so its pretty confusing why MapInstall isn't showing whats on my SD card (H drive)

Thanks
findLadukebob
Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #7594
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Ladukebob, I am an amateur compared to a lot of folks who post in this thread, but when I wanted to upload 24k topo maps to my memory card, the view in basecamp looked like the image below. No setting anything to spanner or anything to anything else. Maybe I am misunderstanding your issue, so apologies if so.

I simply had the map set I wanted as the selected one at the top of BaseCamp:

Then, with my Montana connected, I right-clicked on User Data, and selected Install Maps on Memory Card.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #7595
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
OK, before downgrading to 4.6 (the last stable, glove friendly firmware) I think I got most of my major issues with 4.9 resolved. I ended up installing 4.9 and then doing a master reset. As a result I now have distance to next (with lane assist) as well as the speed limit. The indicated speed also now changes to red again when exceeding the limit. I'll poke along some more with 4.9 and reserve final judgement for a little longer.

I guess the key here is to always do a master reset after any firmware update.

Well I have checked mine after the 4.9 upgrade & the 'Speed' doesn't change to RED well exceeding the speed limit, either while navigating a route or just plain display map mode. But on bringing up the Trip screen (touch 'Speed') the 'Speed' is showing RED when I exceed the speed limit!
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #7596
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Ladukebob, I am an amateur compared to a lot of folks who post in this thread, but when I wanted to upload 24k topo maps to my memory card, the view in basecamp looked like the image below. No setting anything to spanner or anything to anything else. Maybe I am misunderstanding your issue, so apologies if so.

I simply had the map set I wanted as the selected one at the top of BaseCamp:

Then, with my Montana connected, I right-clicked on User Data, and selected Install Maps on Memory Card.

Thanks, yes I'm doing the same as you just posted. That all works great. It's when I get to the MapInstall page that is the issue. If you open MapInstall does it show everything that's on that drive? Mine doesn't. No matter what's actually on it it doesn't show up. And with a 16 gig card I should have lots or room on it. But when I tried loading the North Central 24k it warned that I had exceeded 4 gigs, which leads me to suspect that I'm actually looking at the 600 internal memory rather than the sd card
findLadukebob
Old 04-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #7597
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Thanks, yes I'm doing the same as you just posted. That all works great. It's when I get to the MapInstall page that is the issue. If you open MapInstall does it show everything that's on that drive? Mine doesn't. No matter what's actually on it it doesn't show up. And with a 16 gig card I should have lots or room on it. But when I tried loading the North Central 24k it warned that I had exceeded 4 gigs, which leads me to suspect that I'm actually looking at the 600 internal memory rather than the sd card
Which OS, which version of BaseCamp, and which Version of MapInstall, please :)

The 4GB warning is because you can not save files that large on any device formatted in FAT32. Both the Montana and the uSD card use FAT32.

When you get to step 4 of installing maps with MapInstall, do you not have any maps listed in the left column? Is it completely blank?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #7598
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Mapinstall page? Where does that come from? When I do the steps I mentioned above, the maps get installed. I go to map setup in the Montana later (without it being connected to the PC) and see what my choices are for which maps I can enable or disable in order to check that it loaded.

When it is installing after I make the choices as shown above, the little green line that shows loading is clearly associated with my memory card.

ETA: With the Montana attached to the PC, I can use Windows Explorer and look in the Garmin folder on the Montana and on the memory card.

Map file on Montana internal memory:

Map file on memory card:

Perhaps I am missing your point.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF

Emoto screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 12:55 PM
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #7599
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
Which OS, which version of BaseCamp, and which Version of MapInstall, please :)

The 4GB warning is because you can not save files that large on any device formatted in FAT32. Both the Montana and the uSD card use FAT32. How do I go about fixing this?

When you get to step 4 of installing maps with MapInstall, do you not have any maps listed in the left column? Is it completely blank?

Did not know about the FAT32 thing. Basecamp version 4.1.2 and yea when I get to step four that section where you would see the programs is blank. How do I go about fixing the FAT 32 thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Mapinstall page? Where does that come from? When I do the steps I mentioned above, the maps get installed. I go to map setup in the Montana later (without it being connected to the PC) and see what my choices are for which maps I can enable or disable in order to check that it loaded.

When it is installing after I make the choices as shown above, the little green line that shows loading is clearly associated with my memory card.

ETA: With the Montana attached to the PC, I can use Windows Explorer and look in the Garmin folder on the Montana and on the memory card.

Map file on Montana internal memory:

Map file on memory card:

Perhaps I am missing your point.
Well that's what's confusing. When I open the sd card in Explorer I do see the same GPX folder and the 24k West map that I have loaded. But in MapInstall nothing. And I can only load one map. Meaning that if I try to load a second map the first map gets deleted.
findLadukebob
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #7600
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 419
Using Topo maps in Basecamp sans GPS?

Need a little help. Here are the facts:

Destroyed my last GPS
Am going to purchase a 600 by the summer but have no GPS currently
Have Basecamp
I want to purchase Topo maps now to start planning and to overlay in Basecamp on some saved tracks(again for planning).

Question:

1) At the time of purchase, I have to state the model of GPS I am going to purchase(Montana 600, 650 or 650t), and does this lock me into the model I stated? Example, if I say I'm purchasing the maps for a Montana 600 could I actually purchase a 650t and still be able to use these maps?

2) Can I load these maps into my computer(Mac) and use in Basecamp for planning, without having the GPS in hand yet?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #7601
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Need a little help. Here are the facts:

Destroyed my last GPS
Am going to purchase a 600 by the summer but have no GPS currently
Have Basecamp
I want to purchase Topo maps now to start planning and to overlay in Basecamp on some saved tracks(again for planning).

Question:

1) At the time of purchase, I have to state the model of GPS I am going to purchase(Montana 600, 650 or 650t), and does this lock me into the model I stated? Example, if I say I'm purchasing the maps for a Montana 600 could I actually purchase a 650t and still be able to use these maps?
You can purchase the Garmin US Topo 24K maps anywhere independent of the GPS they will reside on. They are not locked to a single GPS. If you are purchasing form Garmin and they are asking this question, it is most likely so they can determine if the maps will actually work on that device.
2) Can I load these maps into my computer(Mac) and use in Basecamp for planning, without having the GPS in hand yet?
Yes, purchase them now and install them on your Mac-BaseCamp. Then when you get your GPS, you can install them onto a µSD Card and us it in your GPS.
Thanks for any help.
See answer in quote:

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #7602
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
See answer in quote:

Cheers,
Thanks, thats what I needed! Corporate crap just confused me.

Edit: Just tried to purchase the "TOPO Canada: Northwest" download via Garmins site and it would not allow me to do so unless I first registered a device complete with serial number. Is there a workaround?

MitchG screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 02:12 PM
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #7603
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Did not know about the FAT32 thing. Basecamp version 4.1.2 and yea when I get to step four that section where you would see the programs is blank. How do I go about fixing the FAT 32 thing?.
How many maps installed in BaseCamp?

All maps installed on your computer should show up there.

What OS (again)?

Perhaps re-install MapInstall and try again?
Old 04-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #7604
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Quote:
How many maps installed in BaseCamp?

All maps installed on your computer should show up there.

What OS (again)?

Perhaps re-install MapInstall and try again?
Loaded US 24K West and US 24K North Central maps from disk onto PC running Windows 7. BaseCamp installed when I downloaded one of the maps. They both show up fine in BaseCamp. What I'm trying right now is I moved one of the maps into the GPX folder on the sd card while I'm installing my other map. Once this second map is finished loading onto the sd card I'm going to move the first map back out of the GPX folder. Not sure why I think that will work but what the hell.
findLadukebob
Old 04-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #7605
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG View Post
Thanks, thats what I needed! Corporate crap just confused me.

Edit: Just tried to purchase the "TOPO Canada: Northwest" download via Garmins site and it would not allow me to do so unless I first registered a device complete with serial number. Is there a workaround?
Sorry, I was following the pervious 24K Topo discussion and just inserted the thought that you wanted them. The Garmin TOPO Canada: Northwest map is a "LOCKED" product = Licensed to a single unit. Some maps are Locked and some are not. You may be able to find a free Canada Topo map.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote