ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 254 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #751
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,177
Vatopo

If I could get the VATopo to show up in Mapsource or Basemaps, it might be worth trying all that. Neither of those of those have the dropdown that the instructions discuss. I think it'll be simpler to just go with Garmin's map 24K
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '76 Husky 360WR/CR,
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #752
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
If I could get the VATopo to show up in Mapsource or Basemaps, it might be worth trying all that. Neither of those of those have the dropdown that the instructions discuss. I think it'll be simpler to just go with Garmin's map 24K
After running the installer for VATopo which puts a folder called vatopo11 in your 'program files' folder, go in mapsource and it can be selected in the drop-down shown in the image (top left of the page). If the map drop-down is not there then go in the main menu, select View->Show Toolbars and make sure "View" is checked.

Since there is a lot of good riding along the border, I combined wvtopo11 and vatopo11 maps for use in my Montana 600 by using GMapTool.
Attached Images

DrLax screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 01:16 PM Reason: Added info.
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #753
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Multiple tracks/routes on same map

So in the Ozarks of N. Arkansas, where I ride, there are 3 or 4 highways that go north and south. And a couple or 3 that cross. So, basically we ride the forest roads that connect to the highways.

Sometimes, on a 2 or 3 day trip, I have a distination in mind but not sure about the exact route I want to take. That could depend on the level of the creeks, a side stop I want to make or show someone, fuel or eats, or whatever.

So, on Basecamp on my computer, I have all these routes or you could call them shortcuts between the highways, some even go to the same places. I like to chose which ones I take as I'm on the ride. Of oourse, most of these I know by now, but some I forget exactly which turns and exactly where to go.

So, how can I load all these routes/tracts on my Montana and have them all show up at once or all on the same map. Remember, they are not connected as in a continual route.

I can get them loaded, but they are all listed seperate on the Montana.

Got to be easy, I'm just not sure how to do it........
Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #754
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

So, how can I load all these routes/tracts on my Montana and have them all show up at once or all on the same map. Remember, they are not connected as in a continual route.

Got to be easy, I'm just not sure how to do it........

JaVaWa GPS-tools | IMGfromGPX (English)

Since the Montana supports multiple *.img files this tool can make as many individual maps as you need.
Each map can have as many tracks as you want.

It makes transparent map files that will display on top of whatever other map you use.
Cheers, Denny
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #755
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55 View Post

It's a PITA to get individual tracks to all show on the map. It has to be done one by one. Open the 'Track Manager' (not Tracks). Select a track. You'll see View Map, Elevation Plot and others. Scroll down, find and select 'Show on Map'. Now repeat for each track you want displayed.

Requesting a 'Select All/Unselect All" feature on the Garmin website would be appreciated. http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #756
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
this looks pretty neat if it works as described. I have been on the fence about leaving the Delorme software I have loved for years, but Garmin really is picking up lots of applications from the aftermarket developers.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #757
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
this looks pretty neat if it works as described. I have been on the fence about leaving the Delorme software I have loved for years, but Garmin really is picking up lots of applications from the aftermarket developers.

I am not sure about the Windows version. The Mac version on a PPC machine requires a little bit of command line skills and upgraded Java. Not so difficult, if you have some above average computer skills.

I used it to display Tracks for the TWAT on my Zumo 550 and it was very useful for that.
Cheers, Denny
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #758
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quick question/observation. Searching by “Cities” brings up all the matching names in the world - from the basemap presumably - even when those maps are disabled. Do I need to change the basemap to prevent this? Or have I misunderstood something?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #759
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post

The map dropdown is part of the "View" toolbar on Mapsource. If it is not showing up, right click on any toolbar and check the "View" toolbar checkbox. I am not sure about Basecamp, but it is probably similar.

One thing I prefer of the Free Arkansas Topo is that it shows private property within the National Forests.

JT screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 12:17 AM
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #760
FL_Cracker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I think I've found a new bug...over a 5 hour drive last week end, my Montana didn't appear to be charging while in the automotive cradle...when I got home, the battery showed about 50% charge...Garmin sent me a new battery because the original was losing contact, so I don't know if it's the new battery or I just failed to notice whether it was charging with the old battery...I've made one off-road trip and the battery was charging in the rugged mount cradle. I seem to remember another post that questioned whether the battery charged while on external power...The new battery seems to be holding a full charge, but discharges when mounted in my truck...
While in the truck, mine seems to be charging to 100% overnight and discharging during the day, perhaps due to overheating.
FL_Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #761
TowPro
Getting there

Quick question. Do the proximity alarms send a sound signal through the 3.5mm cable, or does just the GPS unit make a noise through an internal speaker (or pizo) when you trigger a proximity alarm.

I ride with hearing protection (25dB isolation in ear monitors) and can't hear anything besides what's coming out the in ear monitors.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #762
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Quick question/observation. Searching by “Cities” brings up all the matching names in the world - from the basemap presumably - even when those maps are disabled. Do I need to change the basemap to prevent this? Or have I misunderstood something?
If you have no other maps installed that provide searchable data, then yes, your search results are coming from the World Wide Basemap. It sounds to me like the search is giving you the results you asked for(?). What are you expecting in the search results?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #763
TowPro
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyIndy View Post
JaVaWa GPS-tools | IMGfromGPX (English)

Since the Montana supports multiple *.img files this tool can make as many individual maps as you need.
Each map can have as many tracks as you want.

It makes transparent map files that will display on top of whatever other map you use.
Had great luck using this tool tonight. I have a 25 meg GPX file with over 2000 tracks on it. I converted it to a .img (took several minutes on my quad core) then installed it into Basecame using mapset tool kit.

But I can only pick this map from the drop down box as a single map. In base camp can I use this img file as a transparent overlay on top of other maps I have loaded in ?

Now am I correct in reading that if I have CNNA installed on the montana, I can use this .img file I just created and have it be a transparent overlay on top of CNNA? If yes, I am sold!!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #764
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

That's what I did with it, and it worked wonderfully.

I agree with you it would be nice to be able to view it as an overlay on the computer screen, but since it brought some tracks ability to my Zumo 550 I'll settle for what I can get.
Cheers, Denny
Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #765
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Had my 650 since the beginning and no problem. '

Just updated to 3.3

Now when I go to route manager, pick a route, choose "show on map", it then brings the route up on the map for a second or two and then powers down. Every time and I've done it over and over, on diff routes, same results.

Not called Garmin yet.

Anyone have any ideas??