ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 246 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #7726
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,311
BMW Motorrad finally releases the Navigator Adventure GPS: aka the Montana 600.

The BMW unit comes with Lifetime Maps and the AMPS Rugged Mount with RAM Mount. I'm guessing that it also has a BMW Dealers POI database - which most likely can't be accessed by the user if they keep to previous Navigator implementations.

Interesting, if you're a BMW rider, per BMW's press release:
"It can be used as an alternative to the Navigator IV on all BMW motorcycles except the new R 1200 GS, the K 1600 GT and the K 1600 GTL."
If I were BMW Marketing, I might have worded that a bit different. I think what they meant to say was that the Navigator Adventure does not interface with the bikes Trip Computer in the same way as the Navigator IV does on those bikes.

Anyway, maybe us poor stepchildren will get Lifetime Maps included with the next firmware update...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #7727
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Did you transfer the Route to the Montana internal storage or the µSD Card?
I did the transfer from Basecamp so wherever that sends it too. Is there a difference?
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #7728
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinalcracker View Post
I did the transfer from Basecamp so wherever that sends it too. Is there a difference?
Yes, if the Route is sent to the Garmin internal storage, the route should remain as-was in BaseCamp (not recalculated). If it was sent to the µSD Card it was recalculated.

It would be interesting to look at where the changes are in the Route compared to the Track since you have them both on the Montana and try to figure out why it was recalculated if it actually was transferred to internal storage.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #7729
iustin
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Yes, if the Route is sent to the Garmin internal storage, the route should remain as-was in BaseCamp (not recalculated). If it was sent to the µSD Card it was recalculated.
Wow, really? Thank you so much, this is really useful information. It would also explain some of the behaviours I've seen and couldn't explain, even after reading may wikis and threads…

If you have a link explaining this kind of differences in more detail I'd be (even more) grateful.

thanks,
iustin
iustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #7730
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iustin View Post
Wow, really? Thank you so much, this is really useful information. It would also explain some of the behaviours I've seen and couldn't explain, even after reading may wikis and threads…

If you have a link explaining this kind of differences in more detail I'd be (even more) grateful.

thanks,
iustin
There are a several good sources to keep up with:
  1. Emmbeedee's Wisdom Thread for the Montana
  2. altas cache's Wiki for the Montana (see below screen shot)
  3. Here of course...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #7731
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:

It would be interesting to look at where the changes are in the Route compared to the Track since you have them both on the Montana and try to figure out why it was recalculated if it actually was transferred to internal storage.
Really! We need to capture this in the Routing thread as well then.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #7732
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Montana Fail. Went to use it for the first time going to baja. After about 30 minutes of working fine, the screen goes crazy. Side ways, upside down, right side up, then it shuts off. Happend every hour andore frequent as the days went by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Sounds like two common issues: you need to lock the screen orientation through Setup/Display/Orientation, and you need an earplug in the battery case to stop the shutdowns.
I figured this out on the trail, and locked the orientation. Still had crazy, momentary "blurps" where the screen turened 90 degrees, then flipped back.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #7733
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Street Name display?

I have North American City Nav on my MT, got into a smallish town outside Dallas, couldn't get local street names to display. Do I have a "Settings" fail, or is it a limitation of City Nav?

Or have I failed to properly activate City Nav on the unit? The lines for the streets appeared, just no names.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #7734
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
I have North American City Nav on my MT, got into a smallish town outside Dallas, couldn't get local street names to display. Do I have a "Settings" fail, or is it a limitation of City Nav?

Or have I failed to properly activate City Nav on the unit? The lines for the streets appeared, just no names.
You mus be running a very recent firmware on your Montana.

Garmin has tweaked the firmware recently in favor of map drawing performance at the cost of some map detail, including street names.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:47 AM   #7735
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Garmin has tweaked the firmware recently in favor of map drawing performance at the cost of some map detail, including street names.

Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #7736
beck49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Got a 600 recently after months of following this thread. This is such a great resource. But for some of us more tech challenged, it can raise as many questions as it answers. Here's one I'm still wrestling with. The 600 came with 4.6 and works fine so far. Should I just stay with 4.6, or upgrade to 4.9? Thanks.
beck49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #7737
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by beck49 View Post
The 600 came with 4.6 and works fine so far. Should I just stay with 4.6, or upgrade to 4.9? Thanks.
I'm sticking with 4.7 for the reasons posted above. Garmin has an unfortunate track record of breaking more than they fix with firmware upgrades, so when I get a good one, I keep it until the community here thoroughly vets the newer one. I'm sick of being a Beta tester for Garmin.

You can get earlier versions, (I forget the link, but someone here will have it) and I usually keep the *.exe file on my computer so I can revert to a known good version. I've had no problems with 4.7.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #7738
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Try out 4.9 and see how it works for you. I had some initial issues but after a master reset everything has worked just fine for a few thousand miles.

You can always rollback to 4.6. I've done it a few times since 4.6 is the last rock solid stable release for me. Although 4.9 is treating me well at this point.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #7739
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Mac vs PC

I just purchased a Montana 650t. I have worked with mapsource in the past with a older serial port Garmins. Now I have to learn Basecamp which is new to me. I have a Mac with Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on it. Is there substantial advantages of one system over the other? I have read this forum up to page 374. I get the feeling with Windows I can do more but Apple might be easier to use. Which system would be best to start with. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #7740
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
I just purchased a Montana 650t. I have worked with mapsource in the past with a older serial port Garmins. Now I have to learn Basecamp which is new to me. I have a Mac with Mountain Lion and Windows 7 on it. Is there substantial advantages of one system over the other? I have read this forum up to page 374. I get the feeling with Windows I can do more but Apple might be easier to use. Which system would be best to start with. chip
You should plan to spend some time with BaseCamp. It is not a follow-on to MapSource so don't go into it thinking it should just work the same way. The workflow is much more intuitive once you've learned the basics of the application. There are big changes coming to BC on both OS's in v4.2. Oh, and I personally prefer the Mac version of BC over Windows.

Dan
All Things GPS