ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #7801
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
SteveAZ
I have never had a 276 but I have a similar 496 in the dash of my airplane to back up my Garmin aviation stack. In addition to the thing you pointed out I miss a couple of other features with the Montana. 1) Routes I down load from BC can't be reversed. If I lay out the route on the Montana I can reverse it. 2) If I have a route lets say with 10 waypoints and part way through I want to skip a waypoint and go to one farther down in the list I can't. On the 496 I can go to the route list pick any waypoint and go to it.
As long as the route you download from Basecamp has its Activity type set as "Direct", you will be able to reverse and edit the route in the Montana. No matter which activity mode you use to create the route, switch to Direct before you send the route and you're all set. The Activity selector is in the top right of the Basecamp screen.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #7802
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Thanks. I'll give it a try. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #7803
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,357
Did the master reset just a few minutes ago. Easy as pie and all reset. Will look into the short cut thing for fuel and motel info and straight back to map.
In near 15 years of using a GPS , have use routeing maybe a dozen times. Use it as a rolling road map and download track files to see where I"ve been.

A question I have not found out yet, is how long can I leave that Montana hooked up to the bikes battery before it drains it? I know that the 276C will drain it within a few days to no start. This is with the unit turned off , but still plugged in.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #7804
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
...A question I have not found out yet, is how long can I leave that Montana hooked up to the bikes battery before it drains it? I know that the 276C will drain it within a few days to no start. This is with the unit turned off , but still plugged in.
With the Rugged Cradle wired to a switched circuit, when power is cut, the Montana will prompt to run off it's own internal battery or automatically shut down in 30sec.

I suppose you could wire it direct and leave it on, in which case the answer is this long.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #7805
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Emmbeedee
I would have been a long time figuring that one out. Thanks again. chip
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #7806
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
SteveAZ
...I miss a couple of other features with the Montana. 1) Routes I down load from BC can't be reversed. If I lay out the route on the Montana I can reverse it. 2) If I have a route lets say with 10 waypoints and part way through I want to skip a waypoint and go to one farther down in the list I can't. On the 496 I can go to the route list pick any waypoint and go to it.
Good points...Let's just say that overall, the x76/x96 were better auto-routing units.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #7807
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
A question I have not found out yet, is how long can I leave that Montana hooked up to the bikes battery before it drains it? I know that the 276C will drain it within a few days to no start. This is with the unit turned off , but still plugged in.
Many (many!) pages ago several posters complained of this behavior. I've never wanted to find out the answer the hard way, so I ALWAYS remove it from the cradle and let it dangle on the leash. (My bike lives in my garage, so I can get away with this with no danger of theft.)

If you want to find out the exact answer, leave it mounted and off for 24 hours, start the bike. Then 48 hours, start the bike.....etc. When the bike just barely starts you will have the answer!

Let us know. (This is only for a direct wire to the mount.)
Or, you could just patch in a multimeter and read the draw in milliamps! I'll bet it's something like 25 milliamps with the unit off but mounted, plenty to drain a little bike battery in 4-5 days.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #7808
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
As long as the route you download from Basecamp has its Activity type set as "Direct", you will be able to reverse and edit the route in the Montana. No matter which activity mode you use to create the route, switch to Direct before you send the route and you're all set. The Activity selector is in the top right of the Basecamp screen.
This is still much more cumbersome and much less flexible than the x76/x96.

On top, I pretty much never make routes and then download them, I just do them on-the-fly... Sort of a big point of having a good dedicated GPS. The lack of handling multiple vias makes this a huge pain on the Montana since you have to go and create a route instead of just do a goto and then add the vias and arrange them as you please. It seems an easy "fix" to add this.

Putting a "find" ("where to") in the map menu seems an even easier fix to a very annoying problem [to me] too. I understand that doing a "find" near a current route is probably a more difficult thing to implement but it is a very powerful feature. I also wish that when I did a "find" while in motion that the thing would give the numeric direction to the POI instead of a crude little arrow especially when it won't do a find near the route. It does this when I'm stopped. I don't want to have to stop to be able to tell the direction to a POI...

I actually used the "detour" function on the x76/x96 every now and then and found it useful when it was needed. Again, the Montana just isn't that great of a routing GPS.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the features it has over the x76/x96 and as much as I miss the buttons I understand the world has eagerly accepted the [flawed in my opinion] paradigm of touch only. It's just not that good at routing. There's always hope they'll figure out adding a "where to" to the map menu.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #7809
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
....A question I have not found out yet, is how long can I leave that Montana hooked up to the bikes battery before it drains it? I know that the 276C will drain it within a few days to no start. This is with the unit turned off , but still plugged in.
I wouldn't be surprised if the cradle even without the unit in it has some draw. My guess is that the cradle has a regulator in it although it's not that hard to design one that draws darn near nothing when it's not providing power. Not too hard to figure out with a multimeter...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #7810
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the cradle even without the unit in it has some draw. My guess is that the cradle has a regulator in it although it's not that hard to design one that draws darn near nothing when it's not providing power. Not too hard to figure out with a multimeter...
I leave my live cradles plugged in all the time and have never had any problem starting the bikes no matter how long I leave them. If there is a drain, it's infinitesimal.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 09:12 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #7811
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Mine stays in the cradle all the time, unless I need to hook it up to the PC. With it off I don't think it will run down the battery at all. My C14 has some battery draw all the time due to the electrical doodads and during this past brutal winter it fired up just fine after about five weeks of sitting.

That said, if you happen to leave it on and wired to an always on source it will most likely drain it rather quickly. I think I measures something like 350mAh when it ran mine down in a day or so.

Early firmware seemed to crash a lot on switched power but that's been fixed for over a year so there's really no need to wire (always powered) any longer.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #7812
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,357
With the unit turned off, it still shows ( Battery Charge 100% ) and not completely off as if I would separate it from the bike power. The reason I don't put it on and ignition off circuit is that I want it to stay on while traveling for computer info. And, also, not starting a new track file at every stop.
The drain I experience with the *76 series is with the unit turned off, but, still on a hot feed to the battery. Still kills the batt in a few days if I forget to unplug it.
Guess I could make a couple jumpers to measure the milliamps the thing is pulling as I've not found it in specs anywhere.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #7813
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

SteveAZ
I have figured out how to search outside my current location. It is tedious but can be done. A smart phone would be easier. What I'm doing is making the GPS think I'm in a new location. I'm located in Southern Ca and in this example I will search for fuel in Telluride Co.
setup> system>GPS>demo mode>pervious page>X>back>where to>cities>search for Telluride Co and select then select>go>Waite a few seconds for the next screen to load>Move to location>X>where to>fuel services>all categories chip
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #7814
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I understand that doing a "find" near a current route is probably a more difficult thing to implement but it is a very powerful feature.
Quote:
SteveAZ
I have figured out how to search outside my current location. It is tedious but can be done. A smart phone would be easier. What I'm doing is making the GPS think I'm in a new location. I'm located in Southern Ca and in this example I will search for fuel in Telluride Co.
setup> system>GPS>demo mode>pervious page>X>back>where to>cities>search for Telluride Co and select then select>go>Waite a few seconds for the next screen to load>Move to location>X>where to>fuel services>all categories chip
My SP2720 had a search near current route choice and it was something I used quite often so adding it to the Montana wouldn't be a big stretch. I have sent an email to the Montana team requesting this, I'd suggest you do the same since the more requests they get the more likely it would be implemented in some future update.

Now don't ask me what that email address is... I can't seem to find it right now but it is here in this thread. If I find it ill update this post

Thanks DRTBYK!!

FireDog45 screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 12:34 PM
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #7815
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
My SP2720 had a search near current route choice and it was something I used quite often so adding it to the Montana wouldn't be a big stretch. I have sent an email to the Montana team requesting this, I'd suggest you do the same since the more requests they get the more likely it would be implemented in some future update.

Now don't ask me what that email address is... I can't seem to find it right now but it is here in this thread. If I find it ill update this post
Montana Team email...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote