ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #7816
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
SteveAZ
I have figured out how to search outside my current location. It is tedious but can be done. A smart phone would be easier. What I'm doing is making the GPS think I'm in a new location. I'm located in Southern Ca and in this example I will search for fuel in Telluride Co.
setup> system>GPS>demo mode>pervious page>X>back>where to>cities>search for Telluride Co and select then select>go>Waite a few seconds for the next screen to load>Move to location>X>where to>fuel services>all categories chip
It's prolly easier to just do a "where to" "menu" "search near" "a map point" if you know on the map where the town is. If not, do a "where to" "cities" then keyboard in the city name and touch the city in the find results. Then "where to" "search near" "a recent find" choose the city you just found then "fuel services", etc.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #7817
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Montana Team email...
Hmmm.. I might ought to take a little time and organize a short and direct hit list of constructive recommendations (not a "bitch list").
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #7818
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Or, you could just patch in a multimeter and read the draw in milliamps! I'll bet it's something like 25 milliamps with the unit off but mounted, plenty to drain a little bike battery in 4-5 days.
From my post on 11/19/2012:

Quote:
My Garmin rugged mount is wired directly to the battery. When my bike's ignition is switched off with the key, the rugged mount is still powered.

I measured 8 ma draw from the rugged mount when my Montana is in the rugged mount and is turned off and my bike's ignition is switched off.
I measured no draw from the rugged mount when my Montana was removed from the rugged mount.

I use non-rechargeable lithium AA batteries in my Montana for those rare instances when I want to use my Montana and it is not in the rugged mount nor connected to my iMac.

Others do not detect this parasitic draw....
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #7819
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Adding to the previous post. If you want to have the Montana route you to the Shell station select the Shell>no>then go back to the Select GPS page and set to Normal or WAAS/EGNOS. This can also be done by just turning the Montana off then back on. The Shell station will be under Recent Finds. ch
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #7820
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
It's prolly easier to just do a "where to" "menu" "search near" "a map point" if you know on the map where the town is. If not, do a "where to" "cities" then keyboard in the city name and touch the city in the find results. Then "where to" "search near" "a recent find" choose the city you just found then "fuel services", etc.
I don't usually use the Demo mode to set a new location for quick searches like you guy are talking about either. Since we don't have search "Along Active Route/Track", I usually just jump out to my "WhereTo? Fuel" icon and then check out a couple of the hits to make sure they actually are reachable from my location - rivers with no bridges can be a real bummer.

What I find of most value in setting a new location for the GPS is when you want to work on a route or find a number of POIs in an area that's not close to your current location. It's a lot easier to just change the GPS's "location" so that the map always stays anchored there while you're working/planning.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #7821
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post

Quote:
My Garmin rugged mount is wired directly to the battery. When my bike's ignition is switched off with the key, the rugged mount is still powered.

I measured 8 ma draw from the rugged mount when my Montana is in the rugged mount and is turned off and my bike's ignition is switched off.
I measured no draw from the rugged mount when my Montana was removed from the rugged mount.

I use non-rechargeable lithium AA batteries in my Montana for those rare instances when I want to use my Montana and it is not in the rugged mount nor connected to my iMac.

The AMPS Rugged Mount has no electronic components in it. The end of that cable just houses the low-insertion force spring pins. If anyone is getting any current draw from just the Rugged Mount, they should probably check out their wiring installation.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #7822
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
I agree your way is easier. But both are a pain in the ass. chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #7823
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The AMPS Rugged Mount has no electronic components in it. The end of that cable just houses the low-insertion force spring pins. If anyone is getting any current draw from just the Rugged Mount, they should probably check out their wiring installation.
Good to know. We all know that what tiny bit of documentation Garmin leaks to us is poor at best.

For example, I know I can operate my x76/x96 units from 24V vehicle power. Can you do that with a Montana in the AMPS mount? I can't find a voltage specification for the unit, or the mounts...
Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #7824
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
...For example, I know I can operate my x76/x96 units from 24V vehicle power. Can you do that with a Montana in the AMPS mount? I can't find a voltage specification for the unit, or the mounts...
My AMPS Mount came with an Instruction Manual. On p. 3, Step 2, it says "Connect the red and balck wires to your vehicle's main power (10 to 50 Volts)." There should also be some input voltage info on the unit itself (I don't have it in front of me), maybe on a label in the battery compartment if it's not molded onto the plastic near the DC jack.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #7825
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
My AMPS Mount came with an Instruction Manual. On p. 3, Step 2, it says "Connect the red and balck wires to your vehicle's main power (10 to 50 Volts)." There should also be some input voltage info on the unit itself (I don't have it in front of me), maybe on a label in the battery compartment if it's not molded onto the plastic near the DC jack.
Typical Garmin cart before the horse utter lack of easy access documentation... Look up AMPS mount on website. No specifications. No downloadable manual that might or might not answer questions.... Just buy it and and see if it might have specifications that may or may not cover the requirements...

The Montana manual is devoid of any external power data. A label in/on the unit? LOL. Specifications on the Montana website pages? Yeah, right.... Garmin has *never* believed in documenting the product and especially the specs... This is a long standing reputation of theirs. I like a lot of their products but I'm *always* disappointed with aspects of every unit of theirs I purchase. If they documented the units more thoroughly, then I would know what I'm getting which would go a long way to managing my expectations/disappointments.... But this is not the Garmin way....
Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #7826
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #7827
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post

Quote:

I KNEW it was back there somewhere!

Even 8 Ma is too much for me unless I'm certain I'm going to be using the bike within a day or two....the BMW has it's own parasitic draw around 20-30 Ma and I don't want to add anything to it.

What I think is that the mount is still charging the unit's battery, even at that tiny trickle amount when it's fully charged, if wired direct.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #7828
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Typical Garmin cart before the horse utter lack of easy access documentation... Look up AMPS mount on website. No specifications. No downloadable manual that might or might not answer questions.... Just buy it and and see if it might have specifications that may or may not cover the requirements...

The Montana manual is devoid of any external power data. A label in/on the unit? LOL. Specifications on the Montana website pages? Yeah, right.... Garmin has *never* believed in documenting the product and especially the specs... This is a long standing reputation of theirs. I like a lot of their products but I'm *always* disappointed with aspects of every unit of theirs I purchase. If they documented the units more thoroughly, then I would know what I'm getting which would go a long way to managing my expectations/disappointments.... But this is not the Garmin way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
I KNEW it was back there somewhere!

Even 8 Ma is too much for me unless I'm certain I'm going to be using the bike within a day or two....the BMW has it's own parasitic draw around 20-30 Ma and I don't want to add anything to it.

What I think is that the mount is still charging the unit's battery, even at that tiny trickle amount when it's fully charged, if wired direct.
So, install an inline rocker switch that swaps the power source from IGN to BAT and keep the same ground either way. Then, you can flip the rocker while on a trip and never loose power to the cradle, and flip the rocker again when you park the bike.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #7829
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
This is what I wrote:

Wonder why this sentence wasn't in your post.....

No charging with non-rechargeable batteries.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #7830
TrotterD
Geek

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
With the unit turned off, it still shows ( Battery Charge 100% ) and not completely off as if I would separate it from the bike power. The reason I don't put it on and ignition off circuit is that I want it to stay on while traveling for computer info. And, also, not starting a new track file at every stop.
The drain I experience with the *76 series is with the unit turned off, but, still on a hot feed to the battery. Still kills the batt in a few days if I forget to unplug it.
Guess I could make a couple jumpers to measure the milliamps the thing is pulling as I've not found it in specs anywhere.
Hello, hope you are well,

You could try change the setting in Setup -> Tracks -> Auto Archive so that its Daily. Then I think this would save you one track per day even if you stop and start during your travellers.

Regards

Dave