ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #7831
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators
 
Emmbeedee's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Near Ottawa, ON, Canada
Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
is there another kind?
DRTBYK Dan uses the ZAGG protector.
__________________
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
Want to know more about the Garmin VIRB? See here.
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #7832
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hi,

What options do I have for hearing the Montana in a car without the suction cup mount w/ speaker?
Thanks,
Jay
This is the other option with speaker which I bought: http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-montan...mount-kit.html

I put it up on the dash, or down in the tray between the seats. It's heavy enough to stay put nearly anywhere, except under heavy braking.

I've even had it in the passenger foot well and it kept sat lock.
__________________
2010 Yamaha TW200
2014 BMW R1200 GS WC
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #7833
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Yucaipa, Ca
Oddometer: 111
I have Screen Patrons on all my GPSs. Even the ones in the airplane. The airplane GPSs came with a sticker on the screen that said not to touch the screen because the oils in the fingerprints would do harm to the nonreflective coatings. I can't keep other pilots or passengers from touching it when they try to point something out, so I put protectors on them. The Screen Patrons are thinner and the adhesive is not as strong. I don't think they will create the problems that some have had with other protectors. When I ordered them for the Montana they came a little to long. I sent them an email. There response was to forward the correct size. I measured a Garmin screen protector and sent them the dimensions. They cut new ones to my dimensions and sent them to me. They were perfect. http://www.screenpatronus.com/ chip
Chip Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #7834
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hi,

What options do I have for hearing the Montana in a car without the suction cup mount w/ speaker?

I do not yet own a Montana but, in addition to using it on the bikes, would like to be able to use it in a rental car when in an unfamiliar place and be able to hear the turn-by-turn directions without having to bring along the suction cup mount with speaker. What, if any, are my options?

Thanks,
Jay
Most modern cars have an accessory input to the stereo, I imagine you could just carry a 3.5 mm cable and jack into the cars stereo. Of course you'll have to deal with your Montana flopping around all over the dash since you don't have a way to secure it.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #7835
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,204
Screen Protectors

Yes, I've used ZAGG InvisibleShield since they came to market. I think they are the most durable and touch-friendly that I've come across. They are not anti-glare but they have a very slight surface texture so glare isn't to bad. BUT, ZAGG doesn't make one for the Montana so I've been forced to purchase one for a zumo 660 and cut it down to fit. I've asked ZAGG to make one but they aren't interested - bigger money elsewhere I suppose.

So, I've ordered the Screen Petronus product (thanks Chip) and I'll let you all know how it compares with the ZAGG for clarity and durability.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #7836
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Meadowlands, NJ (just east of the USA)
Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hi,

What options do I have for hearing the Montana in a car without the suction cup mount w/ speaker?
...
Thanks,
Jay
If you just want to run it off battery and throw it in a cupholder, any portable speaker should work. Ex.
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SBA160...rtable+speaker
or
http://www.amazon.com/CHICAGO-BEARS-...ref=pd_sbs_e_2

Or, as mentioned, use a 3.5mm AUX cable to plug it into the aux input on the car (if there is one). You won't be able to listen to the radio and the Montana at the same time, though...
__________________
-Lee
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
2008 Suzuki SV650n (Sold... I miss that bike...)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #7837
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 128
Question

I can't find this anywhere even after searching for some time (via Google, the Wiki, and this thread). I setup my 600 using Basecamp, City Nav NA 2013.1 (from the DVD) and Topo 100K (also from DVD). Since I was offered a one-time free update to CNNA, I installed Topo 100K first, using MapInstall, then added CNNA 2013.4 after the update went through. All maps transferred to the 32Gb uSD card I installed, but the 600 doesn't have it available in the map list. All Topo sections are available. When I view the uSD card via Finder, I can see CNNA, and Basecamp is able to find it as well when reading from my 600. What I am doing wrong?

I am on a Mac (10.8.3), Basecamp 4.1.2 and FW 4.90 (installed via Garmin Express while setting up the unit). I'd just like to get all my maps working so I can start to learn the unit, and figure out how I want it setup!
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #7838
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 255
Hello all,

Just bought a 600 and like it so far. This is my first unit that will do tracks and am learning how to use them.

Is it possible, when navigating a track, to have a data field that shows the distance to the end of the track?

Thanks!
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #7839
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
I can't find this anywhere even after searching for some time (via Google, the Wiki, and this thread). I setup my 600 using Basecamp, City Nav NA 2013.1 (from the DVD) and Topo 100K (also from DVD). Since I was offered a one-time free update to CNNA, I installed Topo 100K first, using MapInstall, then added CNNA 2013.4 after the update went through. All maps transferred to the 32Gb uSD card I installed, but the 600 doesn't have it available in the map list. All Topo sections are available. When I view the uSD card via Finder, I can see CNNA, and Basecamp is able to find it as well when reading from my 600. What I am doing wrong?

I am on a Mac (10.8.3), Basecamp 4.1.2 and FW 4.90 (installed via Garmin Express while setting up the unit). I'd just like to get all my maps working so I can start to learn the unit, and figure out how I want it setup!
I wound up pulling the uSD card and installing CNNA to the internal memory. Will see if everything is there after it boots up with the card in it now...
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #7840
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer
 
Rocky TFS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hailey, Idaho
Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
Hello all,
Is it possible, when navigating a track, to have a data field that shows the distance to the end of the track?
If you set the dashboard to small data fields, you can have one of them display Distance to Destination. This will show you the DIRECT distance to the end of the track. There is no way to see distance ALONG the track. (It's been a month since I tried this, and of course I did not write down exactly how I set it up, but I believe this to be correct.)

Track navigation is pretty limited, really the only good way is to just use the map zoomed in to where you can see easily if you are on track or not.
__________________
2010 Yamaha TW200
2014 BMW R1200 GS WC
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #7841
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 255
Wow. I'm a bit surprised by that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
If you set the dashboard to small data fields, you can have one of them display Distance to Destination. This will show you the DIRECT distance to the end of the track. There is no way to see distance ALONG the track. (It's been a month since I tried this, and of course I did not write down exactly how I set it up, but I believe this to be correct.)

Track navigation is pretty limited, really the only good way is to just use the map zoomed in to where you can see easily if you are on track or not.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #7842
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JMartin's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: That very fine line. (Denver, CO USA)
Oddometer: 455
How Does the Montana Stack up in the Car?

How effective is the Montana for in-car use? In particular how is the screen size?

I was fine following tracks through the woods on the tiny screen on my GPSMap 60Cx. But part of the justification for buying a Montana is if my wife could also use it in the car. She now uses an old StreetPilot 2720 on which the voice no longer works and the map is badly out of date. Would the Montana be a decent replacement for her? I am mainly concerned about the screen size and if it is big enough to be able to quickly glance down and see what is coming up in a tricky intersection. We navigated our way out of NYC yesterday, using Google Maps on a phone, and I would like to think the Montana would be much better than that.

Thanks,

Jay
__________________
6. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." 16 Things it takes most of us 50 years to learn.
JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #7843
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
Hello all,

Just bought a 600 and like it so far. This is my first unit that will do tracks and am learning how to use them.

Is it possible, when navigating a track, to have a data field that shows the distance to the end of the track?

Thanks!
If you navigate the track in automobile mode, the "Distance to Destination" field will show the distance along the track (not the straight line distance) to the endpoint. If there are user created waypoints near the track (how near?) they will become via points on the route when navigating it and the unit will display the distance along the route and the time to the waypoints.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #7844
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
SteveAZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
How effective is the Montana for in-car use? In particular how is the screen size?

I was fine following tracks through the woods on the tiny screen on my GPSMap 60Cx. But part of the justification for buying a Montana is if my wife could also use it in the car. She now uses an old StreetPilot 2720 on which the voice no longer works and the map is badly out of date. Would the Montana be a decent replacement for her?
...
IMO yes. It has a nice bright display that is large enough. The unit can be some fair bit of work to setup but relatively straightforward to use, although it presents the ability to do some more complex tasks for the sophisticated user. If you get the automobile mount then the unit can be setup to enter a "profile" automatically every time it's placed in the mount that can be setup for her and the mount has a speaker in it. Frankly the stock "automobile" profile is probably fine for that or at least a starting point and then if she has some changes, they can be done to that profile.

It will completely supersede your 60Cx!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #7845
FatChance
Road Captain
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Durango, Colorado, USA
Oddometer: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
So, install an inline rocker switch that swaps the power source from IGN to BAT and keep the same ground either way. Then, you can flip the rocker while on a trip and never loose power to the cradle, and flip the rocker again when you park the bike.
Or, just wire it to always-on power and put an on/off switch in the line. There are several ways to have control over the power to the Montana...

__________________
Pain in the Butte Ranch
Durango, Colorado

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014