ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #7846
scottydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I just picked up a Montana 650t, made sure it has all the latest updates and took it for a ride on my Suzuki DRZ on a Ram mount this weekend. It randomly but frequently rebooted while I was riding, didn't matter if it was smooth roads or trails. Any input on what to look for or send it back?
scottydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #7847
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg View Post
I just picked up a Montana 650t, made sure it has all the latest updates and took it for a ride on my Suzuki DRZ on a Ram mount this weekend. It randomly but frequently rebooted while I was riding, didn't matter if it was smooth roads or trails. Any input on what to look for or send it back?
Stuff something in the battery compartment to keep it from rattling around in there. It's notoriously loose.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #7848
scottydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Stuff something in the battery compartment to keep it from rattling around in there. It's notoriously loose.
Perhaps that would explain why it didn't do it at all when I put the AA's in to see if that would make a difference. Thanks for the tip I will give it a try. ;)
scottydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #7849
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
How effective is the Montana for in-car use? In particular how is the screen size?

I was fine following tracks through the woods on the tiny screen on my GPSMap 60Cx. But part of the justification for buying a Montana is if my wife could also use it in the car. She now uses an old StreetPilot 2720 on which the voice no longer works and the map is badly out of date. Would the Montana be a decent replacement for her? I am mainly concerned about the screen size and if it is big enough to be able to quickly glance down and see what is coming up in a tricky intersection. We navigated our way out of NYC yesterday, using Google Maps on a phone, and I would like to think the Montana would be much better than that.

Thanks,

Jay
I replaced my 2720 with the Montana and if you check the specs the screen size is bigger on the Montana! It's not a huge difference but the smaller form of the Montana vs the 2720 gives the impression of a smaller screen.

There will be a period of translating 2720 operations while operating the Montana so be prepared for that. My suggestion is to sit down with her and make her own profile with all the shortcuts and map set up she wants then it will be a lot easier for her when she puts it in the car.
FireDog45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #7850
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
(I checked the known bug log, didn't see this one.)

Has anyone encountered an issue with the Montana just deciding during routing, to stop recording track information?

This happened to me twice over the last weekend.

Software version 4.9, running in City Navigator mode (not Nuvi). Just cruising along, and my track recording would drop. No more green line!

To re-enable it, I found that switching profiles would get it going again. But the second time it happened, I didn't notice it for 75 miles, so have no track of that section.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #7851
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
(I checked the known bug log, didn't see this one.)

Has anyone encountered an issue with the Montana just deciding during routing, to stop recording track information?

This happened to me twice over the last weekend.

Software version 4.9, running in City Navigator mode (not Nuvi). Just cruising along, and my track recording would drop. No more green line!

To re-enable it, I found that switching profiles would get it going again. But the second time it happened, I didn't notice it for 75 miles, so have no track of that section.
Have not experienced this behavior, yet.

Do you have the Track File for this incident you can share?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #7852
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Have not experienced this behavior, yet.

Do you have the Track File for this incident you can share?
I'll have to pull it off the unit, but I can certainly do so.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #7853
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
If you navigate the track in automobile mode, the "Distance to Destination" field will show the distance along the track (not the straight line distance) to the endpoint. If there are user created waypoints near the track (how near?) they will become via points on the route when navigating it and the unit will display the distance along the route and the time to the waypoints.
OK.

Great. I'll give it a go.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #7854
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Question Shortcut shortfall resolved

Greetings,

Montana 650 4.90

Has the shorcut shortfall . been resolved?

Specifically is it possible to define a specific POI i.e.: Fuel services with a shortcut. I currently can only, as others have outlined, create a [Where to] shortcut and place the [Fuel Services] icon to the top of the scroll list.

Do we now have the ability to set up shorcuts for sub-functions, and sub-sub functions, etc within the [Where to] (or other) menu.

This would be equally useful for Odometer/trip- data reset.

Ref wiki post requested features "70"

Selecting [Setup] [Main Menu] [Add Item] [Where To?] and any POI category (Fuel Services, Hospital, Food/Drink, etc.) places a 'Search Icon' on the Main Menu. Please include this functionality in [Setup] [Shortcuts] [+Create Shortcut] [Where To?]. [ADV Post] [08DEC12]

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #7855
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Greetings,

Montana 650 4.90

Specifically is it possible to define a specific POI i.e.: Fuel services with a shortcut. I currently can only, as others have outlined, create a [Where to] shortcut and place the [Fuel Services] icon to the top of the scroll list.

Do we now have the ability to set up shorcuts for sub-functions, and sub-sub functions, etc within the [Where to] (or other) menu.

Selecting [Setup] [Main Menu] [Add Item] [Where To?] and any POI category (Fuel Services, Hospital, Food/Drink, etc.) places a 'Search Icon' on the Main Menu. Please include this functionality in [Setup] [Shortcuts] [+Create Shortcut] [Where To?]. [ADV Post] [08DEC12]
What color is Feature Request #70?

(Red = Not Implemented)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #7856
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
OK.

Last time I checked, if the waypoint is within ~120m (400ft) of the Track it will pick it up.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #7857
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampaslake View Post
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Greetings,

Montana 650 4.90

I don't speak for the wiki, but if you want to have an icon (app) on your menu pages or Favorites Dashboard for any of the Where To? searches it's been around for at least a year or longer. These are not user Shortcuts. They are Where To? canned search apps.

They are created by the process outlined in atlas caches Feature Request:
Selecting [Setup] [Main Menu] [Add Item] [Where To?] and any POI category (Fuel Services, Hospital, Food/Drink, etc.) places a 'Search Icon' on the Main Menu.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #7858
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
If you navigate the track in automobile mode, the "Distance to Destination" field will show the distance along the track (not the straight line distance) to the endpoint. If there are user created waypoints near the track (how near?) they will become via points on the route when navigating it and the unit will display the distance along the route and the time to the waypoints.
Hmmm, I'll have to try that, thanks....I was using a Topo profile, which uses dirt bike...I think.

I think DRTBYK mentioned within 50 meters for the waypoints to show as via points.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #7859
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Thumb Yup that works

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I don't speak for the wiki, but if you want to have an icon (app) on your menu pages or Favorites Dashboard for any of the Where To? searches it's been around for at least a year or longer. These are not user Shortcuts. They are Where To? canned search apps.

They are created by the process outlined in atlas caches Feature Request:
Selecting [Setup] [Main Menu] [Add Item] [Where To?] and any POI category (Fuel Services, Hospital, Food/Drink, etc.) places a 'Search Icon' on the Main Menu.
Thanks,

Funny how often the solution is right in front of you.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #7860
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 472
To the fella having the white screen issue - send it back and get a new one. I had to do that with mine and I waited too long. I got the replacement a couple months ago (I think it's been that long); everything has been fine until this weekend. I was riding along navigating a route and it white screened on me. Luckily I knew where I was at that point so I could pull the battery and replace it later. (I did the hold power button for 20 secs to turn it off but it was unresponsive.) By now the second warranty is out of date so I won't be able to return it if I need to if the white screen happens again. So don't wait!

Also noticed something else weird - not sure if this is the same track thing as discussed above. I have mine set to daily archive tracks. I was riding a 100 mile day and I noticed that the track would keep disappearing. If I had to retrace my steps I'd be screwed. I don't know why it does that. I haven't downloaded the tracks yet but I'd bet that everything is there. It just disappears from the screen.

Had a great weekend of ds riding. I still love the Montana. It really does a great job overall.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote