ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 187 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #8026
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
After taking data off my Montana, mine apparently did keep recording the track when it disappeared from the screen, just like your SO saw.

Just to be safe I dropped the map update speed back to Normal on all of the profiles that I use.
Should have mentioned her gps is on 4.60.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #8027
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
yes, so it's the problem?

...and should be resolved in the next update :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #8028
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I've had no problem at all with 4.90 but today my SO's 650 started losing the visible track. Just stopped showing on screen three times. Still recorded it apparently.
MBD, can you please check how many track points are in the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file?

I'm guessing close to 10,000.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #8029
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
MBD, can you please check how many track points are in the Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx file?

Sure, I'll check it in the morning.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #8030
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
I've had no problem at all with 4.90 but today my SO's 650 started losing the visible track. Just stopped showing on screen three times. Still recorded it apparently.

I've seen this quite a few times (4.7 and 4.9). Cycling power would bring it back on the map.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #8031
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:

Is the file called "current.gpx" a composite of these tracks?

The screen shot above is from Basecamp but when I look at the file called "current.gpx" in Mapsource it shows 6 tracks, all of which are auto archives from yesterday, but none of them is very large.

Here's one of them:

At least the two last time stamps look to be pretty much the time when my SO complained of the tracks disappearing.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 08:55 AM
Old 05-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #8032
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Is the file called "current.gpx" a composite of these tracks?

The screen shot above is from Basecamp but when I look at the file called "current.gpx" in Mapsource it shows 6 tracks, all of which are auto archives from yesterday, but none of them is very large.

Here's one of them:

At least the two last time stamps look to be pretty much the time when my SO complained of the tracks disappearing.
Can you send me a copy of the current.gpx from the GPSr?

My name at gee mail dot com.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #8033
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Can you send me a copy of the current.gpx from the GPSr?

My name at gee mail dot com.
Too late; she cleared it out when she reset the gps to try to cure it.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #8034
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Geeked out...

...things to do with Montana/Tempe. I just did a refrigerator repair and as it started cooling I thought to throw the tempe in it and let the Montana set next to the refrigerator.

The dip is where I moved it to the freezer. It stopped sending data as soon as it hit -19.4°C and then began sending data again as soon as it rose above that....

SteveAZ screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 01:13 PM
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #8035
mikecarpenter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Amps mount durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
How durable is the AMPS Rugged mount for use?
I went down hard in a Baja sand wash week before last. Hard enough to bend my Husaberg bars and end up with a 3rd degree shoulder separation.

There sat my Montana cuddled up in the Amps mount all safe and secure. Much more secure than the Ram mount for my 60csx, it would eject at will.
mikecarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #8036
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Well I've been using my Montana the last few days with the map refresh setting on normal, and guess what, no loss of signal, even over Stevens Pass. Hope the next firmware update allows the use of the fast refresh rate!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #8037
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 770
Power always on and turning off tracks

Hi,

I spent a lot of time with the Montana last week touring northern AZ and UT. I have 3 questions:
  1. I have the unit hardwired to a keyed circuit -- turn bike off, Montana gives me 30secs to say if I want to keep the power on or turn it off. Is there a setting to override this? Yes, I suppose I could hardwire it to the battery but prefer not to. I ask because...
  2. I noticed that sometimes the Montana would turn tracks off / not show on the map. That is, I turn off the bike, turn off the Montana, start up again and the track would sometimes not be visible map. As I think about it, I'm not sure if this happened all of the time but it did happen enough to be a PITA.
  3. Is there ability to sort tracks? The Montana seems to list the tracks in Track Manager according to some random ordering method? Not a huge problem with a limited number of tracks but much bigger on a multiday tour with 20+ tracks that are being toggled on and off automagically (see #2)

Thanks in advance!
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #8038
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Hi,

I spent a lot of time with the Montana last week touring northern AZ and UT. I have 3 questions:
  1. I have the unit hardwired to a keyed circuit -- turn bike off, Montana gives me 30secs to say if I want to keep the power on or turn it off. Is there a setting to override this? Yes, I suppose I could hardwire it to the battery but prefer not to. I ask because...
  2. I noticed that sometimes the Montana would turn tracks off / not show on the map. That is, I turn off the bike, turn off the Montana, start up again and the track would sometimes not be visible map. As I think about it, I'm not sure if this happened all of the time but it did happen enough to be a PITA.
  3. Is there ability to sort tracks? The Montana seems to list the tracks in Track Manager according to some random ordering method? Not a huge problem with a limited number of tracks but much bigger on a multiday tour with 20+ tracks that are being toggled on and off automagically (see #2)

Thanks in advance!
  1. No - no way to get it to stay on with power off without making the choice each time. (That's why I power mine directly off the battery though a Battery Tender pigtail)
  2. No idea why this is happening but that's why I prefer hardwiring to battery.
  3. Tracks are ordered by Proximity to your current location. The nearest ones show up highest on the list. No way to change it unless you can petition Garmin to give us that option. Lord knows people have asked for it.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #8039
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
  1. Tracks are ordered by Proximity to your current location. The nearest ones show up highest on the list. No way to change it unless you can petition Garmin to give us that option. Lord knows people have asked for it.
Ugg. Yeah, it sucks when starting a point to point 300mi ride that has you moving through 5-6 tracks that day, when you've installed 30+ tracks in track manager and said tracks are going inviso on you in what appears to be a random manner. If it's a power thing then I suppose I'll go back to having it hardwired to the battery...
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #8040
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Ugg. Yeah, it sucks when starting a point to point 300mi ride that has you moving through 5-6 tracks that day, when you've installed 30+ tracks in track manager and said tracks are going inviso on you in what appears to be a random manner. If it's a power thing then I suppose I'll go back to having it hardwired to the battery...
Are you wanting to display all 30 tracks on the map?

Because.... You can't. Only 20 tracks can be set visible on the map at any given time.