ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #8041
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Ugg. Yeah, it sucks when starting a point to point 300mi ride that has you moving through 5-6 tracks that day, when you've installed 30+ tracks in track manager and said tracks are going inviso on you in what appears to be a random manner. If it's a power thing then I suppose I'll go back to having it hardwired to the battery...
Are you wanting to display all 30 tracks on the map?

Because.... You can't. Only 20 tracks can be set visible on the map at any given time.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #8042
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Are you wanting to display all 30 tracks on the map?

Because.... You can't. Only 20 tracks can be set visible on the map at any given time.
Huh...maybe I had allll of the tracks turned on and that was the problem. I'll check it out, thanks.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #8043
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,388
I've only used it once for an actual pre-planned 3 day offroad trip, but as to sorting the order of the tracks my solution was to carefully name each track and start each one with a number: 1-, 2-, etc.

At least then you can look for the number for the next track. Or maybe 1a-, 1b-, 1c- for the 1st day, 2a-, 2b-, 2c- for the 2nd day, etc.

I've also gone down hard in sand in SE Utah, twisted my frame and bars and the GPS rugged mount didn't move an inch and still worked fine! But 3 weeks later and my rib contusions still hurt like hell every morning all the way across my back... The mount is solid!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #8044
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

For example, you can send any type of route to the Montana's internal storage without fear of the Montana "recalculating" it - even though it might appear to be doing just that. Just need to make sure you are using the same map in BC as you have on the Montana. ...
Dan this is still a point of contention and I still don't understand this.

You also have pointed out earlier that along with identical map sources, autorouting is also dependent on identical:
- Routing profiles and options (avoidances, etc)
- The routing algorithms used, which depend on the GPSr itself (Montana vs other types), and the firmware rev.

You also mention specifically "the Montana's internal memory" - is the behavior any different storing it in internal vs. uSD?

You seem to imply it won actually does autoroute but it will end up with the same results. So maybe you can clarify this "again" sorry!

I've been using your method of transferring the Routes to the Montana (internal) as Direct, in which case the NON-Direct routing profile on the Montana will certainly autoroute, and the hope is it ends up with what I had originally routed in BaseCamp before I switched it do Direct before the transfer...

confused, but then I rely mainly on Tracks so I know it is accurate, when off road.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8045
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
^ hmm, I didn't realize that tracks could be converted to routes and stay unmolested in the Montana.

I really need to figure this thing out.
As I posted above. You need to be careful here and Dan has some more "explaining to do" as he himself has said on more than one occasion "really you can only trust tracks" to never change.

In your case you said you are riding the TAT with several riders (and GPS's) and Dan has a lot of experience with this requirement of everybody seeing the same "information" to follow. So I'll just hope he expands on this.

My suggestion is:
1. A MUST: To always RELY on Tracks - which have NOTHING to do with routing or any settings of routing (Direct or otherwise). Then you can also "Navigate" the track, which can show you useful things like: Distance to Destination (end of track), and Distance to Next (next waypoint). So put in Waypoints along the track at significant locations (Gas, big turns, camp, etc). Note that if you get off the track these numbers displayed are WAY off and are useless however - it is DUMB when used with tracks.

2. Want: IN addition to Tracks you can make Routes which will give you more features (trip computer type data, speed avg, etc). and other features.

Experiment beforehand. I've had trouble in SE Utah when off road and getting the Topo24k map to route correctly while on the trail. It routed in BaseCamp but not while on the trail so I ended up only using my tracks.

Dan?

Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #8046
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I've only used it once for an actual pre-planned 3 day offroad trip, but as to sorting the order of the tracks my solution was to carefully name each track and start each one with a number: 1-, 2-, etc.

At least then you can look for the number for the next track. Or maybe 1a-, 1b-, 1c- for the 1st day, 2a-, 2b-, 2c- for the 2nd day, etc.

I've also gone down hard in sand in SE Utah, twisted my frame and bars and the GPS rugged mount didn't move an inch and still worked fine! But 3 weeks later and my rib contusions still hurt like hell every morning all the way across my back... The mount is solid!
I also use the naming convention you describe as it does make it easier to search.

You hurt yourself recently? Sorry to hear that. I've cracked ribs a couple of times and I know how much it hurts when you do anything - sleep, roll, laugh, breathe, etc.

Edit - just read some of your Xch pages. Wow. Just wow.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 11:23 AM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #8047
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 930
Sneezing is the worst..z

Sent via aldis lamp on Tapatalk
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #8048
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
As I posted above. You need to be careful here and Dan has some more "explaining to do" as he himself has said on more than one occasion "really you can only trust tracks" to never change.

In your case you said you are riding the TAT with several riders (and GPS's) and Dan has a lot of experience with this requirement of everybody seeing the same "information" to follow. So I'll just hope he expands on this.

My suggestion is:
1. A MUST: To always RELY on Tracks - which have NOTHING to do with routing or any settings of routing (Direct or otherwise). Then you can also "Navigate" the track, which can show you useful things like: Distance to Destination (end of track), and Distance to Next (next waypoint). So put in Waypoints along the track at significant locations (Gas, big turns, camp, etc). Note that if you get off the track these numbers displayed are WAY off and are useless however - it is DUMB when used with tracks.

2. Want: IN addition to Tracks you can make Routes which will give you more features (trip computer type data, speed avg, etc). and other features.

Experiment beforehand. I've had trouble in SE Utah when off road and getting the Topo24k map to route correctly while on the trail. It routed in BaseCamp but not while on the trail so I ended up only using my tracks.

Dan?
Thanks for trying to elucidate. My current plan is to make sure my whole crew has identical Tracks to follow. I will also try converting the same Tracks to Routes, with the Direct routing setting, and carry these redundant routes as an option on the trip. I plan to have CN, TOPO and OSM maps on my GPS and swap between maps based on level of detail provided and what we are doing (following a track, looking for Gas, looking for a backcountry camp spot, etc.) It sounds like the Routes will navigate differently based on what Maps I'm looking at, so not sure how helpful the Routes will be. I have a 32g card so have some room to carry redundant data.
If the Routes are obviously screwy or inconstant amongst my crews' GPSs, then we will ignore 'em and stick to the Tracks.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #8049
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,311
Quick question again on the Montana. Does it show the speed limit for the road you are on?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #8050
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Quick question again on the Montana. Does it show the speed limit for the road you are on?
Yes but...

You need to be using the Nuvi dashboard AND its not always correct. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower, sometimes non-existent. I don't rely on it and would actually like to have it switchable.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #8051
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Depends on the road and the map you're using. City Navigator has that info for many US roads and some Canadian ones too. But you need to use the Nuvi Dashboard to get the most out of that option.

Here's an example.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #8052
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
It can also be viewed on a data field...

SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #8053
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
It can also be viewed on a data field...

Thanks, what was what I was wondering. Can you customize the field in the map to show it as well. I mostly want it for when I miss a speed limit sign and am wondering what the speed limit it. Something it better than nothing at times. Don't feel like meeting the local popo.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #8054
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Thanks, what was what I was wondering. Can you customize the field in the map to show it as well. I mostly want it for when I miss a speed limit sign and am wondering what the speed limit it. Something it better than nothing at times. Don't feel like meeting the local popo.
As mentioned, it's part of the nuvi map screen and if you have the "small numbers" or "big numbers" set as the "dashboard" on the map screen, then either one can display speed limit.

I most often run the nuvi map screen. Otherwise I use the "small numbers" (four fields) "dashboard" on the map screen.

One thing handy about the nuvi map screen is that if you touch the speed limit field it will immediately bring up the "trip computer" page where you can toss all kinds of data fields.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8055
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,320
I have placed BaseCamp on a usb drive. When BaseCamp is opened, Global Map and Worldwide AutoRoute DEM,NR are available in the select a map product to display drop down menu.

Can I copy CNNA or Topo img files that are on the Montana and use the usb drive so they appear and are usable from the drop down menu?

What files would I copy and where would I put them.

I'll be on the road for a while and am not carrying a computer but will have access sometimes. I would like to make adjustments to my routes and be able to send the corrections back to the Montana.