ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #8056
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSRocker View Post
I have placed BaseCamp on a usb drive. When BaseCamp is opened, Global Map and Worldwide AutoRoute DEM,NR are available in the select a map product to display drop down menu.

Can I copy CNNA or Topo img files that are on the Montana and use the usb drive so they appear and are usable from the drop down menu?

What files would I copy and where would I put them.

I'll be on the road for a while and am not carrying a computer but will have access sometimes. I would like to make adjustments to my routes and be able to send the corrections back to the Montana.

See Clone Your GPS and Portable Applications.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #8057
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
I have placed BaseCamp on a usb drive. When BaseCamp is opened, Global Map and Worldwide AutoRoute DEM,NR are available in the select a map product to display drop down menu.

Can I copy CNNA or Topo img files that are on the Montana and use the usb drive so they appear and are usable from the drop down menu?

I'll be on the road for a while and am not carrying a computer but will have access sometimes. I would like to make adjustments to my routes and be able to send the corrections back to the Montana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
This of course works as long as the owner of the computer you have access to will allow you to attach anything (USB Storage) - most "Internet Cafes" will not for fear of viruses.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #8058
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:

Yes!

They need to be placed in a folder named 'Garmin'. You can install a good size microSD into the Montana and use it as a usb drive as well.

dlh62c screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 11:15 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #8059
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
This of course works as long as the owner of the computer you have access to will allow you to attach anything (USB Storage) - most "Internet Cafes" will not for fear of viruses.
This is true!
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #8060
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 579
track mess

On recent rides I've dropped a few waypoints to remind me of roads to take on the way. I then ride without following a route or track.
When I get home and upload my track, I have long straight lines connecting my waypoints AND the track that recorded what I rode. When I select the track in BC both the straight lines and my track are selected.

How do I add waypoints without creating the straight line track?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #8061
HTSRocker
Absurd

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
8. Use JaVaWa Device Manager to enable/disable installed map visibility

Is this step essential? When I put this usb drive together, JaVaWa failed to run on my computer even after several installs. I have the drive on the road with my now. This is the first time I have had a chance to attempt operating the drive without having BaseCamp or any maps on a computer and I sure would like to see other maps.

Is it possible to pull the map images off of the Montana?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #8062
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
8. Use JaVaWa Device Manager to enable/disable installed map visibility

Is this step essential? When I put this usb drive together, JaVaWa failed to run on my computer even after several installs. I have the drive on the road with my now. This is the first time I have had a chance to attempt operating the drive without having BaseCamp or any maps on a computer and I sure would like to see other maps.

Is it possible to pull the map images off of the Montana?
You don't need to pull maps off the Montana if the Montana is already connected. BaseCamp will see the maps on the GPSr. But, if some maps are not visible in BaseCamp, you will need to use JaVaWa to make them visible to BC.

I run my software from the uSD in the Montana - slightly slower than running from a USB drive, but I only have to connect one device, and my maps are all available.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #8063
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
This is the Track Tool in Mac-BaseCamp:

As Abenteuerfahrer noted, it would be easier to use the Route Tool when there are roads that match up with the TAT maps and then convert them to Tracks. When you come to a unmapped road section in the TAT, just use the Track Tool to create a track of that section and "add" it to the previous or following Track section.

As a data point you can, using Mac-BaseCamp only, create a "mixed-route" (a route with both Direct and Along-road sections).

To create a mixed-route:
  1. Start by using one of the Along-road Activity's to map your route.
  2. When you come to a segment where your want to go "off-road" on the map, just move the cursor over to the Route in your List and select it. Open the Route Properties window and change the Activity to Direct.
  3. The Route on the map will change to a Direct Route but don't worry, just use the Cmd-Z (undo) and the Route will revert back to the Along-road route you had before. Now with the Activity still set to Direct the next via point you place will be in Direct Activity mode.
  4. Continue placing your via points until you get back to a routable road on the Map.
  5. When you want to go back to Along-road routing, just change the Activity in the Route Properties window and you're Along-road routing again. You can repeat the steps above as many times as you like to create your route.

I then recommend converting your mixed-route to a Track.

Cheers,
Dan, I tried the steps above. When I switch from Direct back to Motorcycling, it is recalculating the route to skip a section, even with the tracks on the list. This is with Basecamp 4.1.2 and City Nav 2013.4. I am mapping out a ride in Phoenix where the CN map doesn't show a road going through, but the Topo 100K does...
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #8064
labenske
Criminal

Oddometer: 84
Garmin Montana Speed Limits... missing?

Oh great Montana gurus... I recently did a factory reset on my Montana 600 after updating from 4.70 to 4.90. Now I am unable to pull up speed limit data on any road... even roads where the speed limit showed up in the past. I'm using CNNT 2012.30.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or could this be a bug in the latest release? Anyone else missing speed limits?

Thanks in advance.

2012 R1200GSA Triple Dirt

If the army still used flame throwers, I'd have never left.
labenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #8065
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGeek94 View Post
Dan, I tried the steps above. When I switch from Direct back to Motorcycling, it is recalculating the route to skip a section, even with the tracks on the list. This is with Basecamp 4.1.2 and City Nav 2013.4. I am mapping out a ride in Phoenix where the CN map doesn't show a road going through, but the Topo 100K does...
in v4.1.2, any time you switch Activity it will recalculate. Just "undo" (cmd-Z) and the route will go back. You will still be in edit mode based on the last Activity you have showing.

This will change to a much cleaner workflow when v4.2 is released. This workaround will get you going for now (in the Mac world).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #8066
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by labenske View Post
Oh great Montana gurus... I recently did a factory reset on my Montana 600 after updating from 4.70 to 4.90. Now I am unable to pull up speed limit data on any road... even roads where the speed limit showed up in the past. I'm using CNNT 2012.30.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or could this be a bug in the latest release? Anyone else missing speed limits?

Thanks in advance.
I have a similar issue: v4.90, Hard Reset, City Nav 2013.3, and no speed limit data displayed, ever - and it did work at one time with the same map and 4.90. :(
Old 05-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #8067
labenske
Criminal

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I have a similar issue: v4.90, Hard Reset, City Nav 2013.3, and no speed limit data displayed, ever - and it did work at one time with the same map and 4.90. :(
Sounds like a bug... Anyone else confirm? I will report it to garmin if confirmed.

2012 R1200GSA Triple Dirt

If the army still used flame throwers, I'd have never left.
labenske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #8068
AVGeek94
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
in v4.1.2, any time you switch Activity it will recalculate. Just "undo" (cmd-Z) and the route will go back. You will still be in edit mode based on the last Activity you have showing.

This will change to a much cleaner workflow when v4.2 is released. This workaround will get you going for now (in the Mac world).
Thanks Dan, between your list and a video I found online, I was able to get the route I needed. Now I just need to find time to ride it for a test!
AVGeek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #8069
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by labenske View Post
Sounds like a bug... Anyone else confirm? I will report it to garmin if confirmed.
I sent my info to Garmin, if they hear from more of us, they may fix it :)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #8070
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
On recent rides I've dropped a few waypoints to remind me of roads to take on the way. I then ride without following a route or track.
When I get home and upload my track, I have long straight lines connecting my waypoints AND the track that recorded what I rode. When I select the track in BC both the straight lines and my track are selected.

How do I add waypoints without creating the straight line track?
So I'm looking in BC still trying to figure this out, and in the summary list of the recorded track I have one entry that is 139 miles distance and I was traveling 25,034 mph. I ride pretty quick but not that quick.

So is this just some random stuff it's adding? I'm on 4.6 software and will probably stay here until the updates get updated.

I'm also seeing a bunch of track points that are added when ever I stop but leave the unit on. Is there a better way to track? I'm currently using the Auto Track Log recording method.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote