ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #8146
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,451
Thanks guys .
I have Photoshop CS 6 but can't save in 8 bit .

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #8147
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Thanks guys .
I have Photoshop CS 6 but can't save in 8 bit .

Fred
Microsoft Paint can save in 8-bit :)
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #8148
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
City Nav on SD card won't load

Apologies in advance if this has been answered. I've searched but to no avail. Here's the problem: I purchased CNNA on micro SD card, placed the card in the slot on the Montana and powered the unit on. The screen comes on but gets stuck at "loading maps..." for at least an hour. (at which point I took the battery out b/c that was the only way to turn the unit off, power button didn't respond) Nothing seems to be happening. What am I missing here? Thanks for the help.

Luke
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #8149
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e View Post
Apologies in advance if this has been answered. I've searched but to no avail. Here's the problem: I purchased CNNA on micro SD card, placed the card in the slot on the Montana and powered the unit on. The screen comes on but gets stuck at "loading maps..." for at least an hour. (at which point I took the battery out b/c that was the only way to turn the unit off, power button didn't respond) Nothing seems to be happening. What am I missing here? Thanks for the help.

Luke
I think a Master Reset will cure this.

There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:

Not receiving a satellite signal
Restoring the factory default settings
Not functioning properly
Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ “How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ “Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?”.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
The Montana is now reset and ready for use.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #8150
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Yep, that's it exactly! Gimme a couple of days and I can reconstruct how I got around the problem.....kinda busy right now.
See this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=843686

and this: http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces....ypoint+Symbols

Use MS Paint to import and re-save the icon to 8 bit, 32x32 max size (I use 24x24 most of the time)

Pay close attention to the part about synchronizing. When you are successful, back up the icons that go to the Montana (as well as the ones for BC), I've had mine disappear from time to time.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #8151
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
I really thought the Montana had been out long enough to have far more solid firmware. It's been a very disappointing unit for me. The firmware's so incredibly buggy, lacks very basic features, has terrible routing and isn't even close to robust. Although Garmin simply refuses to produce any kind of decent in-depth documentation on any of their units, this is one that would really benefit from it. Yes, buyer's remorse. Oh well....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #8152
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Oh well....
I can't say I share your opinion. I'm perfectly happy with mine. Been almost two years of ownership and there are little improvements I wouldn't mind seeing but I still think it was $500 well spent.

My first 60CSx also cost me $500 and that's one I'm glad I no longer have.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #8153
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
the 650 is my first gps and maybe I don't know enough but I see it as a tool that has enabled me to do rides that I wouldn't have been able to do with just my iphone. The AMPS rugged mount seems light years beyond the jicky usb jacks and the unit really is waterproof. It's easy to see in sunlight and at night, seems to always know where I am and has plenty of memory for routes, maps and creating tracks.

My wish list is pretty small.
I wish it would give me a variety of route options like the Navigon app does. It gives three options....fastest, most scenic and something else. I wish I could just have the Montana avoid highways and keep me on the twisty scenic routes but it's easy enough to create in google maps and transfer to the unit with Basecamp.

Now that I'm used to Apple's OS, the Montana's OS seems awkward and there are too many ways to do the same thing but I can live with it.

I wish it had traffic info and weather but it's not that hard to check on my iphone as long as I have coverage.

All in all I think it's pretty good at what it does and although the price was painful, it's taken me places I never would have gone so it's worth it.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #8154
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I really thought the Montana had been out long enough to have far more solid firmware. It's been a very disappointing unit for me. The firmware's so incredibly buggy, lacks very basic features, has terrible routing and isn't even close to robust. Although Garmin simply refuses to produce any kind of decent in-depth documentation on any of their units, this is one that would really benefit from it. Yes, buyer's remorse. Oh well....
I don't really have buyers remorse as I've owned enough Garmins to accept the really bad software, really incompetent customer support, and unbelievably ignorant design flaws in them. Because as bad as Garmin is, unfortunately it's pretty much the best out there.

For every thing I really like about the Montana, there is something I really hate about it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #8155
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Yesterday I took a little RT ride down to Vancouver and experienced 2 lockups and several errant waypoint insertions like I last reported. I find it interesting that the errant waypoint insertion occurred around the same location as the previous occurrence I reported on. This past few days I've met 3 riders on very long distance RTW type rides and they are liking the Montana.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #8156
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e

Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think a Master Reset will cure this.

There are a few instances in which it will be necessary to perform a master reset on the Montana, including the following:

Not receiving a satellite signal
Restoring the factory default settings
Not functioning properly
Performing a master reset can cause data loss. To back up user data* utilize the FAQ “How do I back up user data from my outdoor GPS with a USB interface?". If removing user data is desired to eliminate corrupt data or free up additional space, reference the FAQ “Why does my Garmin outdoor or fitness GPS still show my GPS data after a master reset?”.

To perform the master reset:

Power Montana off
Press and hold finger on upper left side of display (be done in portrait or landscape mode)
Power on device
Continue holding until the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Release finger from upper left side of display
Touch Erase
Allow device up to 20 minutes to acquire satellite data with a clear view of sky
The Montana is now reset and ready for use.

*User data consists of waypoints, routes, tracks, and geocaches
I performed the master reset. No dice. Now when the unit boots up with the CNNA micro SD card installed it says, "loading maps..." for a few seconds and then suddenly, inexplicably, frustratingly powers down. Without the micro SD card installed it boots up and functions just fine.

Luke
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 06-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #8157
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:

Luke
Which version CNNA?

Do you have the part number handy? Maybe on the package it came in?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #8158
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Which version CNNA?

Do you have the part number handy? Maybe on the package it came in?
Version: 2013.40

I don't have a part number. I bought the card on ebay and it was described as "No manufacturer package... retail customer return (open box item)"
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #8159
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I don't really have buyers remorse as I've owned enough Garmins to accept the really bad software, really incompetent customer support, and unbelievably ignorant design flaws in them. Because as bad as Garmin is, unfortunately it's pretty much the best out there.

For every thing I really like about the Montana, there is something I really hate about it.
Their cycling computers are no different. They must do 90% of their R&D on the customer.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #8160
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Version: 2013.40

I don't have a part number. I bought the card on ebay and it was described as "No manufacturer package... retail customer return (open box item)"
I hope you didn't pay much for that. I'd send it back, or give negative feedback if returns aren't accepted. Sounds like a pirate to me.

When I bought a new gps which was bundled with CNNA on SD, it came with a carrying case which said Garmin on it. What brand of card is it, for the sake of curiosity? Garmin does not put their name on a label on the card, but they use a reputable brand.