ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #8146
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Absolutely consistent with what I see and at 1pt/sec, I get a *lot* of archives.

What I see is the most recent part of the log disappearing. It concerned me at first because I thought for some reason it stopped logging but when I checked the logging settings they were unchanged (log and show). Like I mentioned, the few times I cycled power they started displaying and I think (but not sure) that changing profiles also helped...

I have many archive GPX files as well :)

I will have to tear myself away from my new Oregon 650 and Oregon 650t long enough to change my setting on the Montana and see what happens to a 10,000 point track log when archive is NOT set to 'when full'.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #8147
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I will have to tear myself away from my new Oregon 650 and Oregon 650t long enough to change my setting on the Montana and see what happens to a 10,000 point track log when archive is NOT set to 'when full'.
From the Dutch 62ST Forum, likely identical for Montana (thanks Lex for digging this up!):
Daily tracklogs will archive the oldest 3000 points when the 10000 point limit is reached.
Daily/weekly tracklogs are saved at power-on the next day, so you can pass midnight without loosing visible logs until the next power-on. If the 10000 point limit is reached after midnight it will archive the part until midnight.

When archiving is set to "When Full", it will archive the oldest points until the first profile switch or 2700 points if there was no profile switch.

I found that a separate archive is created when using the stopwatch, which gets "stopwatch" in the archive filename.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #8148
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Most states have a statewide speed limit. Usually it's 35mph within city limits and 55mph outside of city limits. If you use that as a rule of thumb, you should be ok. Remember, the data in the gps is "old". Speed limits and such change. For instance, many years ago, the speed limit on the US hwy outside my neighborhood changed from 65 to 60. It's still showing as 65 after all this time and many map updates.
Good point. I guess for me it's just sometimes nice to have. Many back roads here in SC like to be 55 to 60. (Want to say I've seen 65 on the remote ones, but I could be wrong.) So, it's just one of those things that could help at times. Course, when prius start to pass me, then I think I might be going slower than the limit. That could help too.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #8149
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
If that were the case then you would not be able to preform a TracBack.
Quote:
The last time I had a discussion on Track Logging with Garmin, I was told that the current.gpx "logging" uses time-stamp, position (movement) and the user settings to decide what fragments should be moved (and copied) to the archive. The actual "current" track could not be moved or several functions on the unit would not work. I don't recall at the moment how long of a stop Garmin considers before tagging the next track segment as "current".
When the current.gpx tack log nears 10,000 points, a portion of the track log that is oldest will be archived with a 'Day' stamp in the title, and this portion will no longer be displayed on the map screen.

Any time you choose to do a TrakBack, only the current.gpx track log will be used for that function.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #8150
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
When the current.gpx tack log nears 10,000 points, a portion of the track log that is oldest will be archived with a 'Day' stamp in the title, and this portion will no longer be displayed on the map screen.

Any time you choose to do a TrakBack, only the current.gpx track log will be used for that function.
That was my point...I must not have articulated it very well.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #8151
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
That was my point...I must not have articulated it very well.
All right then! I'll work on my reading comprehension ;-)
Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #8152
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
How to Place Maps on Different Media?

Hello,

How can I install one map on the Montana's internal storage and a different map on its SD card?

I installed City Nav on internal storage and then went back to try and install Topo on my SD card. Basecamp would have nothing of it. I know with my old GPSMap 60Cx one had to install all maps (or map segments) at the same time. But Basecamp's screens made me think things had changed and I could do what I wanted (described above).

If Basecamp won't do, is there another tool that would? Or is the Montana not going to be able to deal with maps located separately even if I could get them installed?

On a related note, should the installed maps show up on the left in Basecamp? Something called Worldwide Autoroute is listed but not City Nav.

Thanks,
Jay

JMartin screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 09:58 AM
JMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #8153
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
Hello,

How can I install one map on the Montana's internal storage and a different map on its SD card?

I installed City Nav on internal storage and then went back to try and install Topo on my SD card. Basecamp would have nothing of it. I know with my old GPSMap 60Cx one had to install all maps (or map segments) at the same time. But Basecamp's screens made me think things had changed and I could do what I wanted (described above).

If Basecamp won't do, is there another tool that would? Or is the Montana not going to be able to deal with maps located separately even if I could get them installed?

On a related note, should the installed maps show up on the left in Basecamp? Something called Worldwide Autoroute is listed but not City Nav.

Thanks,
Jay
Which of these process are you using, and where in that process are you having the issue?

You can have maps on both the GPSr and on the uSD card, as you desire.

Not all maps are automatically configured to be visible to BaseCamp, and the solution is available from the Montana wiki FAQ page.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #8154
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Another SD card question for you guys. I'd like to figure out how to transfer gps files onto a sd card. I use Basecamp with my Mac, and have never used a SD card before. I wanted to carry a backup of my tracks while riding the TAT this summer. Thanks
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #8155
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Another SD card question for you guys. I'd like to figure out how to transfer gps files onto a sd card. I use Basecamp with my Mac, and have never used a SD card before. I wanted to carry a backup of my tracks while riding the TAT this summer. Thanks
If you want to keep backup copies of your track logs, you will have to manually copy them from the GPSr\Garmin\GPX\ directory to directory on the uSD card you create.

You can not do this with the Montana itself, you must use a host computer.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #8156
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
atlas cached answered your question but I was reading a different question in your post.

If you just want to carry duplicates of the TAT Tracks on an µSD Card, you can put the tracks on the card either while it is in the Montana or in a SD Card reader. Either way you can just drag-drop the TAT Tracks to the Montana AND then the µSD Card you have installed.

You don't even need to make the directories on the µSD Card, BaseCamp will do that for you.

You will of course see duplicates of your Tracks in the Track Manager on the Montana.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 12:33 PM
Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #8157
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Which of these process are you using, and where in that process are you having the issue?
I am using "Send Map to GPSr with Basecamp."

I have experimented some more and here are the results all driven from within Basecamp:

1. Install sections of City Nav and Topo West--only City Nav appears on the Montana
  2. Remove City Nav and install sections of Topo West--City Nav is unchecked in the Advanced/Partial list, but still shows it trying to install one section. I then zoomed all the way out and unselected all of City Nav and then selected a few sections of Topo West. The install failed completely.

Even with City Nav installed, it does not show up in Basecamp under Internal Storage. Although Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap does show up.

Quote:
You can have maps on both the GPSr and on the uSD card, as you desire.
Great; I look forward to figuring this out.

Quote:
Not all maps are automatically configured to be visible to BaseCamp, and the solution is available from the Montana wiki FAQ page.
I can see all my maps in Basecamp.

Perhaps this is more of a Basecamp problem than Montana and should be posted outside this thread?

Thanks for your help,

Jay
Old 06-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #8158
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,101
Where is s good source for icons for poi file's .
I have downloaded some from poi factory but they don't view well.
Wrong size wrong bit depth?
They show up but look funny.

Looking for motorcycle dealers icons.
I found a few but either .png or just won't work.
I have used poi factory before and they worked fine.

For the Montana

thanks

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #8159
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Where is s good source for icons for poi file's .
I have downloaded some from poi factory but they don't view well.

Looking for motorcycle dealers icons.
I found a few but either .png or just won't work.
I have used poi factory before and they worked fine.

For the Montana

thanks

Fred
POI Factory...

The Montana still has "issues" with Custom POI Icons. I have sent several to Garmin and still not resolution.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #8160
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Fred
Yep, that's it exactly! Gimme a couple of days and I can reconstruct how I got around the problem.....kinda busy right now.