ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #8251
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I didn't have to pull the battery to clear the hanging on my unit. Just had to exit out of the Map view, then go back and it would be working fine. there were a couple times though when I went back to the map view and it would be tracking about 500 feet off of the road I was riding on.
I have had that exact same experience as well.

Our Montana's, they be trippin', yo!
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #8252
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
My wife still has a 550 Oregon and likes it a lot, but it's always her Montana that she uses on her bike.
Yep, the Oregon is great for hiking and geocaching, not so wonderful on the bike. Too small and the cable hookup to the bike is too prone to failure.

The Montana OTOH is awesome. The shortcuts are fantastic and it just does so much.

Since I rarely use the autorouting I have NO issues with my Montana.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #8253
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Ok back from my "test"
All the other units were turned off and on at the same time.
All picked the track right where it left off...not the Montana it made the the long track line.
Fred
So track logging stayed on for the whole test on all units? Nothing else but turning the units off and on after a short interval? I gotta go test this on mine. I don't think mine does this with 4.7. And between which points exactly did the Montana create this long line? Go have a look at all the track points in BC. If you click on one with the box checked for Center on Map it will show up zoomed in with an orange circle....it's easy to step through the track points and see where the unit went nuts, along with the time stamp....presumably just when you turned it back on.

I was apparently confusing this behavior with the one where the unit gets moved miles while turned off and the track is not saved and cleared. Both my old eTrex and the 76C do that.

Tell us which firmware you are using and all the track settings and verify that the track settings were the same on all units. You are completely justified in believing that the Montana SHOULD NOT DO THIS!!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #8254
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
So track logging stayed on for the whole test on all units? Nothing else but turning the units off and on after a short interval? I gotta go test this on mine. I don't think mine does this with 4.7. And between which points exactly did the Montana create this long line? Go have a look at all the track points in BC. If you click on one with the box checked for Center on Map it will show up zoomed in with an orange circle....it's easy to step through the track points and see where the unit went nuts, along with the time stamp....presumably just when you turned it back on.

I was apparently confusing this behavior with the one where the unit gets moved miles while turned off and the track is not saved and cleared. Both my old eTrex and the 76C do that.

Tell us which firmware you are using and all the track settings and verify that the track settings were the same on all units. You are completely justified in believing that the Montana SHOULD NOT DO THIS!!
Yes all I did was turn off the units and then turn on I stayed in my same location during the power off and on.

In the screen capture above between the long horizontal line between the two State Parks.

Those two points have the following info----
1 1565 ft 27.8 mi 0:00:01 100106 mph 92.7 true 6/3/2013 11:46:15 AM N37 38.181 W81 26.360
2 1566 ft 18 ft 0:00:02 6 mph 220.1 true 6/3/2013 11:46:16 AM N37 36.993 W80 55.980
Look at the speed of #1

Like I said all I am doing is stopping letting the unit go off or turning the unit off.
Short time later I hop on the bike Montana comes on and that's when it happens.

I understand that when I turn off a GPS then travel to a new location and then turn it on you get a straight line.
That's not what I am doing.

I doubt I am doing a good job describing this so....I guess maybe a call to Garmin is in order.

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #8255
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Which Montana??? noob

I'm trying to decide between the 600, 650, 650t.

The only difference I see is that the 650t comes with downloaded maps. Is that really a big deal?

The 650t is well over $100 more than the 600.

Thanks. Keep in mind I'm an ignorant fool (but learning) when it comes to GPS.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #8256
FireDog45
Mid-life crisis sufferer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post

The only difference I see is that the 650t comes with downloaded maps. Is that really a big deal?

600 - No camera
650 - Camera
650T- Camera and 100k non-routable Topo maps only

With all three you still need to obtain more detailed maps, either Garmins CN or the free Open Source Maps (OSM).

I chose the 600 with CNNA and OSM 24k Topo maps.
FireDog45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #8257
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Topo 100k pre-installed on the 650t, but it also has a 1/2 GB extra internal memory because of it. Otherwise, identical to the 650. The 600 doesn't have a camera. (Or did Garmin change that recently - https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cata...eProduct=75226 ?)
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #8258
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 339
I accumulated a few questions and answers were not in google...or here!

So, I'm trying to browse my map on the Montana screen, but my current location is UK and i wanted to look at map of Iceland (I have NT europe with iceland included....).
Is there a way to enter coordinates and let the screen fly over to that point?
Otherwise, it'a long long zoom zoom zoom out, then move move move, then in in in in in....

Second issue is that I use russian as the menu language and it sets the keyboard to russian by default.
Now there's a button at the keyboard screen that offers me a choice of other keyboard languages, but it includes pretty much every country, making for a very tedious scroll!
Is there a way to delete some of these keyboard layouts?
Note: problem is not the menulanguages available in main system settings - I deleted all but english and russian there, but it does not delete the corresponding keyboard layouts!
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #8259
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bli55 View Post
I accumulated a few questions and answers were not in google...or here!

So, I'm trying to browse my map on the Montana screen, but my current location is UK and i wanted to look at map of Iceland (I have NT europe with iceland included....).
Is there a way to enter coordinates and let the screen fly over to that point?
Otherwise, it'a long long zoom zoom zoom out, then move move move, then in in in in in....

If you know the coordinates of the place you want to simulate, use Mark Waypoint, select Edit and put the coordinates in and save it. Then select Waypoint Manager, choose the waypoint, and choose View Map.

Second issue is that I use russian as the menu language and it sets the keyboard to russian by default.
Now there's a button at the keyboard screen that offers me a choice of other keyboard languages, but it includes pretty much every country, making for a very tedious scroll!
Is there a way to delete some of these keyboard layouts?
Note: problem is not the menulanguages available in main system settings - I deleted all but english and russian there, but it does not delete the corresponding keyboard layouts!
No idea about the keyboard language but see text above for the answer to the first question.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #8260
dbern
outsider

Oddometer: 75
me to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post

I have the same exact question... thanks for asking...are the 100k maps something that is easy to read anyway? I am a bit concerned about the unit now though as I have been reading this thread. I am planning on using it on the TAT and following a route is an issue for it?
dbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #8261
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Thanks DRTBYK-that was the question I was after. Just to clarify- I just buy a sd card that will fit my Montana, put it in the GPS, connect the GPS to my Mac & open Basecamp. Then do I highlight the Track and click the "Send List" button in basecamp to send it to the SD card that's in the Montana? Thanks
You have options on how you send data:
  1. Select the data in your List and drag-drop it on the Montana in My Devices
  2. Select the List the data is in and drat-drop the list on the Montana
  3. Select the List the data is in and press Transfer->Send....to Device

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #8262
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDog45 View Post
600 - No camera
650 - Camera
650T- Camera and 100k non-routable Topo maps only

With all three you still need to obtain more detailed maps, either Garmins CN or the free Open Source Maps (OSM).

I chose the 600 with CNNA and OSM 24k Topo maps.

My feelings too...

I got the 600.

The camera on the montana is garbage. If you want any sort of decent image you are SOL. chances are if you bought a phone in the last year or two your phone has a 10x better camera.

As far as the maps go, the 100k maps are not bad, but honestly they do not provide the detail i want. I went with the CNNA and some 24k garmin maps.

I got my 600 for sub-$380 as a refurb on ebay.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #8263
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
My feelings too...

I got the 600.

The camera on the montana is garbage. If you want any sort of decent image you are SOL. chances are if you bought a phone in the last year or two your phone has a 10x better camera.
There's nothing wrong with the camera as long as you use it right. No, it's not a Nikon, but it does pretty well as long as you hold your finger on the "Shutter release" long enough for the camera to focus, then release the button.

But for location identification and waypoint marking, it's perfect. And it is waterproof.

Here's a few Montana shots:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #8264
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I have had that exact same experience as well.

Our Montana's, they be trippin', yo!
Well, did about 100 miles with the map speed set to fast and it didn't screw up once. They be trippin all right!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #8265
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
............The Montana is the only unit that I have that does what I described above.
...........In the screen capture above between the long horizontal line between the two State Parks.

Those two points have the following info----
1 1565 ft 27.8 mi 0:00:01 100106 mph 92.7 true 6/3/2013 11:46:15 AM N37 38.181 W81 26.360
2 1566 ft 18 ft 0:00:02 6 mph 220.1 true 6/3/2013 11:46:16 AM N37 36.993 W80 55.980
Look at the speed of #1

Like I said all I am doing is stopping letting the unit go off or turning the unit off.
Short time later I hop on the bike Montana comes on and that's when it happens.

I understand that when I turn off a GPS then travel to a new location and then turn it on you get a straight line.
That's not what I am doing.

I doubt I am doing a good job describing this so....I guess maybe a call to Garmin is in order.

Thanks
Fred Thanks
Fred
I assume you did the trip with firmware 4.90 or earlier,right?

As you already assumed, it has something to do with the "last known position" in .position.gpx. I have to elaborate a little deeper than earlier, for you to understand the issue.
The location in .posoition.gpx is updated about once a minute and it is filtered over some points, so it is much slower following your route. When you power-off the Montana shortly after stopping your bike, the last known poisition is a location about 1 minute ago. You can drive some miles easily in that minute.
At power on WHILE STANDING STILL, this wrong position is logged, together with a wrong timestamp (current time). The wrong timestamp causes speed spikes. The wrong position causes straight lines to a location somewhere a minute before the last tracklog position.
If you power-on the Montana while moving, this error is not occurring.

I just checked the 5.0 behavior: it is different.
It seems that the issue with the location from .position.gpx has been soved. I checked this while walking around with multiple power cycles. Several times I powered-on while I was moving, and several times while I was standing still. I observed the following:
  • When Keeping tracklog switched on, and power cycling the Montana, both power-on while standing still and power-on while moving resulted in track lines NOT being connected anymore on the Montana display. No different behavior anymore between standing still and moving.
  • No more speed spikes in Basecamp anymore with the tracklog being on while power cycling.
  • Tracks continue at the last tracklog point before the power cycle.
  • Basecamp still connects large straight lines if you relocate the montana while powered off with the tracklog still on.
    This connected straight lines might be expected as the tracklog is still on. But the Basecamp displays the track differently than the Montana does.
    Straight lines are drawn in Basecamp, because the Montana does not create separate tracks (trk /trk combinations) in the current track (current.gpx) at power cycling. Instead power cyces are recorded as track segments, just like lost-satellite conditions are.
    I would like consistent track display behavior between Montana and Basecamp.
    And I would like to have an option to automatically set the tracklog off/on simultaneously with power-off/on.
Can you check my findings?

Next i'm going to check the Montana and Basecamp track distance calculations with fw 5.0.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote