ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:58 AM   #8341
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 580
Is it possible to create a route from a track on the Montana unit like you can on the Zumo 660?
Trying to get my google map created track to be a route with road prompts like this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post21587149
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #8342
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
You are a genius! I am using a power outlet plug with SAE on other end with red and black wires. Who would have thought that the black wire goes to red and red goes to black. What the hell?
Again thank you!
The SAE connectors have one side that goes to the source and the other goes to the device under power and they typically have opposite colors. If they are swapped, the colors of the wires vs. their polarity also get swapped...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #8343
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
You are a genius! I am using a power outlet plug with SAE on other end with red and black wires. Who would have thought that the black wire goes to red and red goes to black. What the hell?
Again thank you!
Depending on where you got the SAE connector, it could be. If you check out this link, you'll see that this place actually sells 2 versions of the SAE cable, one 'Load Side' and one 'Power Side' so that the color coding of the wires will be correct. If you always use a 'Power side' connector for the battery side, and all your plug in accessories have 'Load Side' connectors, the red wire will always be + (provided you hoked it up to the battery correctly).

Contrary to Emmbeedee's comment, the pin on the Load Side will be exposed, but since it is on the Load side, it can never be 'hot' when exposed (because it's disconnected), while the 'hot' wire from the battery on the 'Power' side is protected from accidental grounding in the female side of the connector.
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #8344
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Is it possible to create a route from a track on the Montana unit like you can on the Zumo 660?
Trying to get my google map created track to be a route with road prompts like this:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post21587149
You can't convert it in the gps but you can in Basecamp.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #8345
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Contrary to Emmbeedee's comment, the pin on the Load Side will be exposed, but since it is on the Load side, it can never be 'hot' when exposed (because it's disconnected), while the 'hot' wire from the battery on the 'Power' side is protected from accidental grounding in the female side of the connector.
How is this "Contrary to my comment"?

"When you hook up your red and black cables FROM the Rugged Mount to a molded plug, you should make sure the RED is connected to the MALE power plug, and the Black should be to the FEMALE power plug."

The "Rugged Mount" is the Load Side.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #8346
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

My appologies... When I first read your post, I took 'Battery Tender Cable' to mean the cable coming from the Battery Tender, not the pigtail on the battery (Power Side), which is what it seems you meant.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #8347
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You can't convert it in the gps but you can in Basecamp.
Yeah I've done that but you only get generic via point prompts that way. Looks like the Zumo can get around this by doing the conversion in the unit.
I usually follow tracks but would like to figure out a work around for other Montana users who prefer routes.
Redrawing the route in BC may be the way to go.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #8348
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
My appologies... When I first read your post, I took 'Battery Tender Cable' to mean the cable coming from the Battery Tender, not the pigtail on the battery (Power Side), which is what it seems you meant.
No problem. I might need to clarify what I said if there's any ambiguity with it.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #8349
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Yeah I've done that but you only get generic via point prompts that way. Looks like the Zumo can get around this by doing the conversion in the unit.
I usually follow tracks but would like to figure out a work around for other Montana users who prefer routes.
Redrawing the route in BC may be the way to go.
Does the Montana use the same auto-routing algorithms that Basecamp uses?

I've let the Montana auto-route the same route as mapsucks with the same map product and they often produce different routes with mapsucks doing the sensible ones and Montana doing ridiculous ones. I just had this last night when I needed to route from a place I'm in over in the SF bay area to get over to San Jose. I know my way around San Jose but I'm a lot less familiar with the departure side. They both routed my departure side the same but the arrival end over in San Jose were completely different with the Montana taking me *way* out of the way along very slow streets. The Montana is by far the worst GPS at auto-routing I've ever used. Funny thing too, it routed me through really bad neighborhoods that Mapsucks didn't, not that I'm expecting a GPS to know the difference!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #8350
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
... Funny thing too, it routed me through really bad neighborhoods that Mapsucks didn't, not that I'm expecting a GPS to know the difference!
In your avoidance settings, did you accidentally deselect 'Ghetto'?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #8351
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
There are times that I also think that the routing algorithms of the Montana must suck big time. There are times that it consistently fails to provide a routing result that would come close to any rational choice made by human, regardless from the avoidances setup.

But, since I've never had any other gpsr (montana being my first experience with navigation devices), I can not say what happens with other devices. So I was thinking to myself "hey, maybe that's the way all gps's work".

So I've learned not to depend on routing. I always use tracks, especially when I'm out in the wild, and when I'm in a big unknown urban environment, I use common sense and the gpsr just as a tool to show me where I am, not to show me how to go from A to B. I rarely depend on auto-routing anymore.

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #8352
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In your avoidance settings, did you accidentally deselect 'Ghetto'?
Aaaaawwww... of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
There are times that I also think that the routing algorithms of the Montana must suck big time. There are times that it consistently fails to provide a routing result that would come close to any rational choice made by human, regardless from the avoidances setup.

But, since I've never had any other gpsr (montana being my first experience with navigation devices), I can not say what happens with other devices. So I was thinking to myself "hey, maybe that's the way all gps's work".

So I've learned not to depend on routing. I always use tracks, especially when I'm out in the wild, and when I'm in a big unknown urban environment, I use common sense and the gpsr just as a tool to show me where I am, not to show me how to go from A to B. I rarely depend on auto-routing anymore.
That's a shame. A good auto-routing unit has been so tremendously helpful for me when traveling to many places, especially in dense urban areas. Sure, they don't always pick the "best" route someone who lives there might, but the better auto-routers get you there without much wasted driving 95+% of the time and really help figure out where you have to turn in tangled up unfamiliar places (think places like Boston). I rarely pre-plan routes on a PC and if I do it's usually to correlate with aerial imagery for off-road, almost never for urban.

I've been using the Montana in my travels for a couple of months now and I'm incredibly disappointed with the auto-routing and understand why you wouldn't feel good depending on it. Even really cheap units do a much better job...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #8353
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
Does the Montana use the same auto-routing algorithms that Basecamp uses?
Well, yes, uh...not quite - then again, sort of.

The algorithm's are the same. I was told that Garmin hasn't changed the routing algorithm in many years now. Keep in mind that the routing algorithm has many variables that adjust the behavior - and therefore the outcome. Many of these variables we don't have access to.

[Dan Think]
BUT, this whole ACTIVITY thing is screwing things up more than making things easier. I believe that the Activity's were designed to pre-weight the variables in the algorithm so as to generate a route that would be more in keeping with the interests of the Activity community. I speculate that this was done in an attempt to minimize the number of "user adjustments" in the Routing variables.

Well, it isn't working. The Motorcycle Activity route generation is ridiculous and I don't recommend it unless you take the time to setup the Avoidances to match the Automobile Activity. But, even then it is more likely than not to generate a route that is not what you expected. I do recommend that you use the Automotive Activity (just like we did in the "pre-Activity" days) and adjust the Avoidances to generate routing that is a bit more "realistic".
[/Dan Think]

I do believe that eventually(?) the Activity's will be the same in BaseCamp and on the Garmin GPS units that use them. But, until that is the case, I suggest everyone use the Automobile Activity unless you have things working the way you want/expect.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #8354
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Well, yes, uh...not quite - then again, sort of.

The algorithm's are the same. I was told that Garmin hasn't changed the routing algorithm in many years now. Keep in mind that the routing algorithm has many variables that adjust the behavior - and therefore the outcome. Many of these variables we don't have access to....
I'm sure there are an awful lot of the variables buried and it makes sense the algorithms are relatively straightforward so the magic is in the variables being tweaked right. I'm not so sure why they'd be so different from other units and I hope (but don't expect) they'll get tweaked to something much more acceptable...

This is a validation issue vs. verification... One intern prolly gets a week to verify the new releases and I don't think they bother at all with validation...
Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #8355
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The algorithm's are the same. I was told that Garmin hasn't changed the routing algorithm in many years now.
Funny, a few years ago a buddy and I got 6 different Garmin models and plugged in the same avoidance's in all the units. From the same starting place we plugged in the same end destination for the units to autoroute. We got 5 different routes with one unit an Oregon 450 calculating the longest route at a 725 miles, while the shortest calculated route was 314 miles with my el cheapo Nuvi 265. The 76 and the 76 CX were the only 2 units that created the same route.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote