ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Mapping & Navigation
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 467 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #8341
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
. . .snip. . .
What I've noticed is that the Montana seems to put a ridiculously high premium on left and U-turns for some reason. It won't avoid them entirely but it will route through three or four times as many right turns and double the route distance along BS roads to avoid them. It doesn't seem to put an appropriate cost on streets with lots of traffic lights, etc.
In which Routing Activity are you seeing this behavior? Is it repeatable?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #8342
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
I only use "automotive" (or direct, but not a factor)...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #8343
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
The pointer when using tracks

Can anybody tell me what the pointer that I have in the small data fields dashboard is pointing at when I'm navigating a track? It seems to be pointing all over the place. chip
Chip Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #8344
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Stevens View Post
Can anybody tell me what the pointer that I have in the small data fields dashboard is pointing at when I'm navigating a track? It seems to be pointing all over the place. chip
Sounds like a Jeopardy question to me....

A: What is the Pointer Field? Graphical indication of bearing. The arrow will point in the direction from your current position to the destination of navigation.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #8345
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
The final waypoint in the track you are navigating.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #8346
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

My 650t doesn't point to the final waypoint and it shouldn't. (See the manual page 56 Data Fields Pointer.) If I'm following a route it does point to the next waypoint like the manual says it should. I wish it did point to the final waypoint, but it doesn't. I used BC to convert a route to a track. Then I used the 650t to reverse the track. If I navigate the original track or the reverse track the 650t points to something other. Sometimes it even points behind me like the 650t has arbitrary made some waypoints and it is pointing to them. chip
Old 06-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #8347
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
My 650t doesn't point to the final waypoint and it shouldn't. (See the manual page 56 Data Fields Pointer.) If I'm following a route it does point to the next waypoint like the manual says it should. I wish it did point to the final waypoint, but it doesn't. I used BC to convert a route to a track. Then I used the 650t to reverse the track. If I navigate the original track or the reverse track the 650t points to something other. Sometimes it even points behind me like the 650t has arbitrary made some waypoints and it is pointing to them. chip
Oops, my bad.
Next waypoint in the track, or destination waypoint if navigating to a waypoint.

Of course, the Distance to Destination Data Field will give you that information, but not the navigation arrow.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #8348
Adventure Addict
Doin it in the dirt

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Oops, my bad.
Next waypoint in the track, or destination waypoint if navigating to a waypoint.

Of course, the Distance to Destination Data Field will give you that information, but not the navigation arrow.

Does anyone know what the "distance to next" field is referring to when navigating a track? It seems to refer to some arbitrary point on the track, and then when that point is passed it starts indicating some other arbitrary point.

Observe this all the time when navigating tracks on the Montana. There are no waypoints, just a track. Shouldn't it just be the same point as "distance to destination" since that technically is the "next" point?
Adventure Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #8349
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Addict View Post
Does anyone know what the "distance to next" field is referring to when navigating a track? It seems to refer to some arbitrary point on the track, and then when that point is passed it starts indicating some other arbitrary point.

Observe this all the time when navigating tracks on the Montana. There are no waypoints, just a track. Shouldn't it just be the same point as "distance to destination" since that technically is the "next" point?
When you navigate a Track, if the maps you are using have Elevation Data, then the Track will have Accent/Decent "waypoints" for major changes in elevation. These are the "waypoints" that the Montana is using. If you don't want them, before you View your track on the map, Disable any map that has elevation data. Once a Track in the Track Manager has had elevation data added you can't remove it in the unit.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #8350
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure Addict, I think your question is related to my question. When navigating a tract the pointer seems to be pointing to some arbitrary waypoint. When I go to active route it shows waypoints. These waypoints are high and low points on the route. I thought at first that the pointer was pointing to them and it does but it seems to point to other waypoints too. I don't understand what is going on either. chip
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #8351
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Dan, Are saying if I have the topos shut off I won't get the elevation waypoints on a track? Then will the pointer point to the destination? chip
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #8352
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Dan, Are saying if I have the topos shut off I won't get the elevation waypoints on a track? Then will the pointer point to the destination? chip
No. I said ANY map that has Elevation Data - that would include the DEM Base Map on the Montana. DEM=Digital Elevation Model.

Also, keep in mind that if you do have Waypoints on your Montana that are within 200ft of the Track, when you navigate the TRACK the Montana will include them in your navigation info. So, yes your Pointer can be pointing in all kinds of directions other than your Destination as you travel along the Tracks path.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #8353
Chip Stevens
Gnarly Adventurer

Dan, Thanks for the help. I understand now. chip
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #8354
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The net in all of this discussion regarding Bearing Pointer is that if you want to have a Bearing [line] Pointer pointing to your Final Destination, then don't Navigate a Track simply follow it. Set your Routing to Direct, select your Destination Waypoint, View Map and select GO. You will now have the Track to follow and a Line & pointer to indicate the Bearing to your Destination. You can use the Compass in CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) as your Dashboard as well.

Example: Starting a CDI Direct Route (using Compass) while following a Track.

The Magenta Line is of course your Direct Route. But, there is a smaller Magenta/White line that is your BEARING line to your Destination. It will move with you as does the Compass IF you have set the Compass to CDI mode.

By the way, if you're concerned that the Compass is upside down, I had just lost satellite lock and turned around when I captured the screen - it's my favorite screenshot.

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 10:37 AM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #8355
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Also, keep in mind that if you do have Waypoints on your Montana that are within 200ft of the Track, when you navigate the TRACK the Montana will include them in your navigation info.
Where did you get this number? :)