ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #8431
JMartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Auto-Zoom Jumping Back and Forth

Took my Montana on its first road trip (Denver to Boise) today. Approaching Boise, say within 5 miles, the screen kept wildly jumping back and forth between the view that it had been in most of the day and the up-close view it automatically goes into when approaching a complicated intersection. I was only able to get it to stop by setting auto-zoom off.

Otherwise, we liked the Montana.

Jay
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #8432
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
FWIW, even in my car in AZ sun with car interior getting up around 65C when parked with Montana in it and the Garmin touch protectors, I've not seen any false touches (yet) when I power it up and it's likely around that same temperature.......
Is your car a convertible? If not, then it doesn't count. It's the sun shining on the display/screen protector which causes the problem.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #8433
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
I'd certainly considered selling it. The unit hardware doesn't appear to be a problem it's the shlock firmware so I don't see any reason to waste time sending it back - none of my complaints seem to be anything no one else is seeing. Frankly I hear about other common problems that I don't see (e.g. losing GPS fix)! The only thing about the hardware that comes to mind that I'd change in an ideal world is adding buttons (cheap), a better touch (not as cheap), a better SD socket (cheap, I worry about breaking that) and maybe GLONASS.

I'd certainly considered selling it. I've got a fair bit of time and money invested in it (and maps/accessories) and selling it wouldn't help either of those things much since I'd spend even more time selling it (I don't have a ready place to go do that anyway), losing a large portion of the money spent and either spend more on another or live with the other older GPS's I've got. I've resigned myself to getting a couple of years out of it as a primary, getting a better unit later and relegating it to secondary/redundant/backup....it would be pretty good for that. It sucks as a primary for me though - I am a very demanding user on nav equipment and have been for a very long time.. LORAN, VOR's, ADF's and even CNAV or map and compass (fun and good to stay current!) and this unit *should* IMO function much better than it does since they *could* be fixed with the appropriate software effort. I'm not counting on Garmin to fix the problems or validate the features though. If they couldn't/wouldn't get it a whole lot better in the two years it's been out the hope seems dim...
How much do you want for all of it?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #8434
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
@SteveAZ, I just want to say in complete contrast that this is my very first gps.
I had a very hard time pulling the trigger on any gps since I thought my iphone could pretty much do all I needed. Now that I have the Montana, it's taken me places I never would have gone. It's let me carry tracks from other people and create my own and I've gotten farther off the beaten path a little more every ride.

Nothing's perfect and I send requests to Garmin too, but damn I've had a lot of fun with the help of this thing.
I just don't see phones truly competing with dedicated nav units for many uses... it's good to hear from someone who's discovering the tremendous value these things bring to the table. I'm an older, crabbier curmudgeon that has truly enjoyed being able to navigate and realize the benefit these tools bring a whole lot.

I still think that it's really valuable to hone good map and compass skills... they'll improve how you use GPS (GNSS) and are still useful when you are out adventuring. Celestial navigation skills aren't so useful since you have to be pretty good to put yourself even to <1mi, but understanding them will also make you appreciate and understand how to more effectively use the modern tools.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #8435
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
Do you use the automount?
When in the automount the compass is switched off automatically. Garmin did this, because the magnet in the speaker of the automount makes it totally useless. Try it yourself by holding the Montana near (but not in) the automount while watching the compass page.
Ahhhh, yes one of the reasons I post my challenges with the unit... people can shed light!!! I wondered why the compass didn't work right in the car and that's a great explanation. I'm guessing the AMPS mount doesn't do this then and I should really consider one!!!! I've already got a Ram suction and arm and I don't really need a chatty cathy (or Jill or whoever) anyway.... It still seems worse than others at filtering keeping pointed straight without a compass though but perhaps the AMPS will cure this? Anyone tried both in an automotive application?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #8436
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is your car a convertible? If not, then it doesn't count. It's the sun shining on the display/screen protector which causes the problem.
I see. I've been work traveling like crazy lately and haven't brought the moto out and likely won't really play on it much until after summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
How much do you want for all of it?
Do you seriously want it or are you just trying to quiet me up?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #8437
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I was helping to set up gps units at a DualSport event today and the Montana was a breeze to set up compared to the 60CS, Ryno and other older units I had to deal with. It's such a treat to be able to just copy map img files and gpx files into the units, rather than having to run Mapsource.

Also, late model Montanas now come with a piece of foam glued in, pushing the battery into the terminals. The owner said it still shut off a couple of times on his way to the event.

People were given a gpx file with coloured tracks and those who used Mapsource to send the files over ended up with the colours being changed to Magenta, but those who just copied the gpx file into the x:\garmin\gpx folder had the right colours, as expected.

The lesson here is to stop using Mapsource if you have a Montana/Oregon/Dakota/62/78.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #8438
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Do you seriously want it or are you just trying to quiet me up?
If the price were right.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #8439
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...It's such a treat to be able to just copy map img files and gpx files into the units...
The software framework is really fantastic in the Montana. This is one areas these units really shine when compared to the older ones.

When you look at the hardware, the display is super nice and that's half the hardware for this type of product! The GPS engine antenna combo is fast to acquire although not super sensitive - GLONASS would/will prolly be a good addition. SD, USB, the external contacts/mounts, taking AA'a or Li-ion are outstanding!!! The size is exceptional for an all-purpose unit.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #8440
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
Did this option ever materialize? This function would be very, very, useful for me right now!
Quote:
People were given a gpx file with coloured tracks and those who used Mapsource to send the files over ended up with the colours being changed to Magenta, but those who just copied the gpx file into the x:\garmin\gpx folder had the right colours, as expected.

The lesson here is to stop using Mapsource if you have a Montana/Oregon/Dakota/62/78.
I wonder if, when using Mapsource, the problem of track visibility and track colours changing when the items are transferred to the Montana might not be an issue if you do as the organizers of the DS ride I'm on did: they used Mapsource to set the visibility and colours, then sent the file out and as long as we just copied that gpx file into the Montana, (I think) the visibility remained and so did the colour.

So effectively, you could use MS to do the route/track planning, do not transfer through Mapsource, save to a gpx file and copy that to the Montana (or Oregon/Dakota/62/78) and Bob's your uncle.

I don't have time to test that right now but it would be worth trying.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 03:23 AM
Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #8441
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I am not sure if this a fault of myself in setting it up or a Garmin design fault on a 650T

I make a waypoint and use Automotive mode to navigate to near it( it is a geocache) Once I park up I change to Geocache mode but it cannot see this waypoint, so I change to Recreational instead and I get the magneta line pointing to the waypoint

The problem is, it won't give me the distance to destination? There is the scale showing and bearing line but I have to guess using the scale how far to the point

What am I doing wrong, surely the basic idea of a GPS is to navigate in a straight line to a waypoint and the distance to it is essential information?

Cheers from Oz
TravellingStrom
Old 06-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #8442
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,379
So, when it comes to screen protectors. The Garmin ones are the ones that can cause the ghost touching on the screen in direct sunlight? What brands are out there that would work well with it without causing this issue?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #8443
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
I wonder if, when using Mapsource, the problem of track visibility and track colours changing when the items are transferred to the Montana might not be an issue if you do as the organizers of the DS ride I'm on did: they used Mapsource to set the visibility and colours, then sent the file out and as long as we just copied that gpx file into the Montana, (I think) the visibility remained and so did the colour.

So effectively, you could use MS to do the route/track planning, do not transfer through Mapsource, save to a gpx file and copy that to the Montana (or Oregon/Dakota/62/78) and Bob's your uncle.

I don't have time to test that right now but it would be worth trying.
I'm starting to loose my recall on the older units but I believe that they default to "Show on Map" for imported Tracks where as the new units have defaulted to "Hide on Map". To my knowledge there is no Garmin GPX XML Extension for Track Visibility.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #8444
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
So, when it comes to screen protectors. The Garmin ones are the ones that can cause the ghost touching on the screen in direct sunlight? What brands are out there that would work well with it without causing this issue?
There are many screen protector materials on the market these days. The most significant issue or down side to some is if they have a very strong adhesive - like the Zagg InvisibleShield product. I happen to like that product for it's durability and warranty but on the Montana the touchscreen material is quite brittle and will most likely crack/brake () when removing the Zagg. This might be one of the reasons they don't make one for the Montana.

I now use ScreenPatronus thanks to another Adv'er. They are clear (which I prefer) and have a low adherence adhesive compound (it really doesn't need much stick).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8445
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
I was helping to set up gps units at a DualSport event today and the Montana was a breeze to set up compared to the 60CS, Ryno and other older units I had to deal with. It's such a treat to be able to just copy map img files and gpx files into the units, rather than having to run Mapsource.

Very little difference but I think just clicking "download" and "send" is easier than opening the Montana down to the GPX folder then dragging gpx file which if you slip goes into wrong folder and won't work.

I noticed the changing of track colors last year on some 78s. I think Garmin fixed that as my new one accepts tracks from MapSource with correct colors.

I assume you mean use Explore to copy .gpx file to riders with new generation
units? I will probably start doiing this but I must first create the gpx file with 2,000 point tracks to do them justice. If not why not just use MapSource like the other 99% of riders.