ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #8446
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I was helping to set up gps units at a DualSport event today and the Montana was a breeze to set up compared to the 60CS, Ryno and other older units I had to deal with. It's such a treat to be able to just copy map img files and gpx files into the units, rather than having to run Mapsource.

People were given a gpx file with coloured tracks and those who used Mapsource to send the files over ended up with the colours being changed to Magenta, but those who just copied the gpx file into the x:\garmin\gpx folder had the right colours, as expected.

The lesson here is to stop using Mapsource if you have a Montana/Oregon/Dakota/62/78.
Very little difference but I think just clicking "download" and "send" is easier than opening the Montana down to the GPX folder then dragging gpx file which if you slip goes into wrong folder and won't work.

I noticed the changing of track colors last year on some 78s. I think Garmin fixed that as my new one accepts tracks from MapSource with correct colors.

I assume you mean use Explore to copy .gpx file to riders with new generation
units? I will probably start doiing this but I must first create the gpx file with 2,000 point tracks to do them justice. If not why not just use MapSource like the other 99% of riders.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #8447
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
There are many screen protector materials on the market these days. The most significant issue or down side to some is if they have a very strong adhesive - like the Zagg InvisibleShield product. I happen to like that product for it's durability and warranty but on the Montana the touchscreen material is quite brittle and will most likely crack/brake () when removing the Zagg. This might be one of the reasons they don't make one for the Montana.

I now use ScreenPatronus thanks to another Adv'er. They are clear (which I prefer) and have a low adherence adhesive compound (it really doesn't need much stick).
Thanks for the info. Just ordered from ScreenPatronus.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #8448
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I assume you mean use Explore to copy .gpx file to riders with new generation
units? I will probably start doiing this but I must first create the gpx file with 2,000 point tracks to do them justice. If not why not just use MapSource like the other 99% of riders.
I like being a 1%er.

And if someone's emailed you a gpx file, why fire up Mapsource or Basecamp when it takes a fraction of that time to just save it to the gps?

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #8449
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I like being a 1%er.

And if someone's emailed you a gpx file, why fire up Mapsource or Basecamp when it takes a fraction of that time to just save it to the gps?

Why? Well, as I think you know, it depends upon what's in that GPX file. If it contains a route - the odds of riding it as it was intended are slim. If it's got a number of high point count Tracks - your unit performance will slow significantly because all of the data in the GPX file needs to be load into active memory. If it's got Routes & Waypoints that were used to create the routes - you'll have duplicate waypoints in the Waypoint Manager.

So - it depends what your expectations are but you certainly can just copy a GPX file to these units.

P.S, Using MapSource will not address any of the above - only BaseCamp can help you.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #8450
Two VT Riders
likely lurking

Oddometer: 29
finger touch waypoint

Hey folks,
Took my Montana out for the first real ride, and found something very annoying that I'm wondering if there is a fix for.
Very frequently, while trying to scroll the maps to look around, it would place a waypoint on the map instead. Very annoying to have to tap the close button, and just have it open another the next try.
Can you stop the unit from placing waypoints simply by touching the screen? Or some other work around?

Also, by the end of the ride, I found that the screen calibration had gone off - try to open the map in the main menu for instance, and it selected the next item over.
I just started it up now, and it's still screwy. Is this common?

OK, so I just tried to calibrate the screen, and the unit gets stuck in the calibrate screen program...
Thanks
Nat
Two VT Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #8451
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelstranger View Post
Hey folks,
Took my Montana out for the first real ride, and found something very annoying that I'm wondering if there is a fix for.
Very frequently, while trying to scroll the maps to look around, it would place a waypoint on the map instead. Very annoying to have to tap the close button, and just have it open another the next try.
Can you stop the unit from placing waypoints simply by touching the screen? Or some other work around?

Also, by the end of the ride, I found that the screen calibration had gone off - try to open the map in the main menu for instance, and it selected the next item over.

OK, so I just tried to calibrate the screen, and the unit gets stuck in the calibrate screen program...
Thanks
Nat
Assuming you are using the latest software (v5.00), I would suggest doing a Master Reset and then after rebooting, do a Screen Calibration. If it gets hung or doesn't hold screen cal I would call Garmin Product Support and get a new unit.

Oh, my method for panning the map is to place my finger solidly on the screen (not hard) and swipe. Most of the time I don't get a waypoint Pin. But, when I do, I ignore it and keep panning. When I'm done I just hit the return arrow.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #8452
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Hey folks,

Thanks
Nat
What version screen protector are you using, and how hot was it today?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #8453
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Oh, my method for panning the map is to place my finger solidly on the screen (not hard) and swipe. Most of the time I don't get a waypoint Pin. But, when I do, I ignore it and keep panning. When I'm done I just hit the return arrow.
Addition: the red pin comes up when, at the first touch, the pressed surface is reduced slightly without moving the map. So do not hesitate long at the first touch before moving the map: it might detect a slightly reduced pressed surface and pop up the red pin.
I have tipped Garmin to require a completely removed finger at the same location for the red pin to come up, but they didn't implement it.

dvmvm screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 03:05 PM
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #8454
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmvm View Post
Addition: the red pin comes up when, at the first touch, the pressed surface is reduced slightly without moving the map. So do not hesitate long at the first touch before moving the map: it might detect a slightly reduced pressed surface and pop up the red pin.
Yes, it does take a while to get used to the screen's sensitivity to a press followed by a slight reduction in said pressure microseconds before swiping.....This makes it nearly impossible to scroll map without getting a pin while moving on a bike. I can do it reasonably well in a cage, though.

Best advice is DRTBK's...just ignore the damn thing and keep scrolling.

Truly one of the more irritating Montana quirks.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #8455
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Question Sound test

Is it possible to do a sound test?

The Montana is connected to the Aux port of a Sena SM10, and as far as I know I have connected and paired everything properly. I am doing this as a test to see if all works as it should.

Sequence is

1- two SMH10 heasdsets paired and connected with intercom tested and working

2- one Sena SM10 Paired and connected (phone AD2P) to both SMH10 with non BT Ipod wire-connected to the audio port with the 4 poles stereo cable tested and working.

3 - iphone 5 paired and connected to primary SMH10 (HFP) tested and working i.e.: phone call comes in mutes Ipod with ring, answer by pressing the phone button on SMH10, disconnect the same way, and Ipod resumes.

4 - Connect with 3 poles stereo cable Montana and aux port of Sena SM10, Montana 100% volume and good satellite reception, I am at home and did a POI search for the closest gas station, the route is active.

How can I test the point to point turn without physically moving, or just test any sound coming from the Montana to see if it overrides the Ipod music as it should? If I have to just go for a ride with everything plugged in I will, but I want to know if I can test it without having to worry about fiddling with it if something is not working while riding...

Sena says to mute/unmute the sound from aux device to press on the SM10 button for 2 secs, the thing is because I have not yet heard the Montana, I don't know if it muted or not, so if I can get some sound, directions or other out of the GPS I'll know if it is working or not.

All the gadgets are running the latest firmware/software updates and have a good charge.

Ok! ok! I am a tech junky

Thanks,

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8456
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
Is it possible to do a sound test?
Easy: Load a route (not from your present position) with CNNA or other routable map enabled, press GO, and she will tell you to: "Please drive to calculated route." Reload the route as many times as necessary to see if you can hear her. Make sure the volume slider is up (one press on power button....if the Montana senses it is not connected to a speaker, no volume slider will appear.)
Old 06-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #8457
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Perfect,

And I know it knows it's connected to speaker since I see the slider.

Thanks a lot, hope this can be useful to others also.

.........Edit..... tested and working

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode

V@lentino screwed with this post 06-16-2013 at 05:46 PM
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #8458
Two VT Riders
likely lurking

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Assuming you are using the latest software (v5.00), I would suggest doing a Master Reset and then after rebooting, do a Screen Calibration. If it gets hung or doesn't hold screen cal I would call Garmin Product Support and get a new unit.

Thanks for the reply folks.
Well, I'm not impressed. This unit is messed up for sure, after a single 2 day ride on dirt roads. I've got it mounted to a ram mount, and 1 ear plug under the cover failed to stop the "unsupported battery" warning, and shut downs. Then near the end of the second day, the screen calibration issue started.

I just installed 5.0 (from 4.9) and did a master reset before, and after the upgrade, and it's still acting the same. The screen is uncalibrated enough to make it difficult too select items I want, and the screen calibration program gets stuck in a continuous loop - after pressing the dots as needed, I see a brief flash of the display setup screen again, and then it goes back into the calibration program. Have to shut it down to get out.

No screen protector on the unit, and I'm inside (no sun).

I hope Garmin hooks me up, and fast, but I still wonder if I can trust this thing to get me along the CDR starting in 3 weeks...
Two VT Riders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #8459
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,159
You know I have had some problems with the Montana but I think for me it's just not being familiar with the unit.
Get to know your Montana there is a learning curve.

I think the Montana is Awesome.

I find out something new everyday.
Also use Basecamp.

And if all that don't work...

My Dad used to tell me when I was a young man talking about women...

"If they don't meet your standards lower your standards"

My Dad is very wise man

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #8460
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the reply folks.
and 1 ear plug under the cover failed to stop the "unsupported battery" warning, and shut downs...
Not enough, you need two, or even better three, because you need to provide even pressure over the whole battery. Try that first.

Screen calibration is a completely separate issue. Sorry I can't help you there, mine never has had an issue with calibration.