ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 230 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #8521
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Since many of mine are partials, I sometimes swap them in and out, believing that a slim, clean set of maps containing only what I need for summer or winter performs better.
I fail to see the logic in this "partial map" idea. I have all of City Navigator NA, all 1.9 gigabytes of it, almost 4 gigs of Topo Canada V4 and some other maps as well and the gps is fast and there's no dickering around with map transfers.

One of the CNNA maps is no longer on the unit, but this screen shot is fairly representative of my maps.

The Montana is not a 60/76, and doesn't need to be used like one.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #8522
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelstranger View Post
Thanks for the reply folks.

I just installed 5.0 (from 4.9) and did a master reset before, and after the upgrade, and it's still acting the same. The screen is uncalibrated enough to make it difficult too select items I want, and the screen calibration program gets stuck in a continuous loop - after pressing the dots as needed, I see a brief flash of the display setup screen again, and then it goes back into the calibration program. Have to shut it down to get out.
Crap, mine is doing this now too but it's been working fine on sys 4.6.Now after the upgrade to 5.0 and the new 5.10 it's lost it's mind. Before I call Garmin tomorrow I guess I'll try to roll back to 4.6.
Those of you who've dealt with this, did Garmin say it's a hardware issue?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #8523
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Crap, mine is doing this now too but it's been working fine on sys 4.6.Now after the upgrade to 5.0 and the new 5.10 it's lost it's mind. Before I call Garmin tomorrow I guess I'll try to roll back to 4.6.
Those of you who've dealt with this, did Garmin say it's a hardware issue?
I think it's fair to say it usually is a hardware issue. What is the start or your serial number? Mine starts with 28U; 2 years old and working properly. Haven't recalibrated it once since I've owned it.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #8524
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 725
Mine starts with 28U also. I bought it last Nov and have never recalibrated or used the master reset until now. I rolled back to OS 4.6 and it's still not working. I'm guessing it's just coincidence that it happened when I upgraded, maybe.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:32 AM   #8525
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Well, once you have installed any map (partial or complete) to the Montana, it has a *.img file........summer or winter performs better.
I got all that, I'm trying to figger out how to use BC with the maps on the HDD vs. on SD or USB (or the unit of course)....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #8526
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I got all that, I'm trying to figger out how to use BC with the maps on the HDD vs. on SD or USB (or the unit of course)....

Shall we assume you don't have GMAP/I files and therefore can't just install your maps in the normal way on your computer?

If you could install the maps on the computer then it's easy enough to move them to the location of your choice and replace the /Garmin/Maps directory with an alias to the new location.

But, whatever VM solution you use needs to appear as a "removable" drive.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #8527
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I'm just trying to use the .img files (and Bird's eye) with BC as originally mentioned. One of several reasons is I'd like to have multiple PC's and VM guests be able to access them from one location so I'm not gobbling up so much drive space (>10GB and growing with Bird's eye too right now) for each PC or VM instance with BC (I've got more than a few). This might be nice as a way to keep BC waypoint/track/route data all in one place too.

The problem I have is making their location appear as a removable drive for BC. I've found a somewhat complicated, kludgey way of doing it but I'm wondering if someone doesn't know of something simpler. This is the first time I've needed to create something that looks like a removable drive.

The way I've found to do it by throwing them into an encrypted file and having that automatically mount as a removable drive on boot does work whether the files are on a local PC, a network drive or in a VM host or guest but it's sure not very "pretty". Even though they have to be decrypted they still access *way* faster than the sluggish USB access in the Montana. It's *very* slow compared to most USB drives or local HDD's...another of the several reasons I'd like to do this....
Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #8528
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I'm just trying to use the .img files (and Bird's eye) with BC as originally mentioned. One of several reasons is I'd like to have multiple PC's and VM guests be able to access them from one location so I'm not gobbling up so much drive space (>10GB and growing with Bird's eye too right now) for each PC or VM instance with BC (I've got more than a few). This might be nice as a way to keep BC waypoint/track/route data all in one place too.

The problem I have is making their location appear as a removable drive for BC. I've found a somewhat complicated, kludgey way of doing it but I'm wondering if someone doesn't know of something simpler. This is the first time I've needed to create something that looks like a removable drive.

The way I've found to do it by throwing them into an encrypted file and having that automatically mount as a removable drive on boot does work whether the files are on a local PC, a network drive or in a VM host or guest but it's sure not very "pretty". Even though they have to be decrypted they still access *way* faster than the sluggish USB access in the Montana. It's *very* slow compared to most USB drives or local HDD's...another of the several reasons I'd like to do this....
BC is not architected to manage your maps in "shared-distributed" way so you're pretty much on your own. BaseCamp v4.2.x (coming soon) will however allow you to put your BC Library (My Collection data) anywhere you like as well as have multiple libraries you can switch between (with a restart). I have several computers as well and they all use the same BC Library's located in my Dropbox account (I'm using a Beta BC).

Should have mentioned...with all of your distributed BC instances, make sure you don't have two open at the same time. You will get corrupted data/maps. Personal experience.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 11:17 AM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #8529
bighopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Montan Voice Directions

Updated to V5 firmware 3 weeks ago & have noticed that when Routing I only get 'Turn Left' or 'Turn Right in 600 meters' type directions. I used to get 'Turn Left at 112Ave' etc on V4.9 firmware.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have done a reset of the Montana to solve the track point issue.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #8530
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
BC is not architected to manage your maps in "shared-distributed" way so you're pretty much on your own. BaseCamp v4.2.x (coming soon) will however allow you to put your BC Library (My Collection data) anywhere you like as well as have multiple libraries you can switch between (with a restart). I have several computers as well and they all use the same BC Library's located in my Dropbox account (I'm using a Beta BC).

Should have mentioned...with all of your distributed BC instances, make sure you don't have two open at the same time. You will get corrupted data/maps. Personal experience.
I've got something working, it's just not very elegant. I'm not worried at all about the map data getting corrupted but you have a good point about the data...With my inelegant method I need to mount the data read-only for multiple mounts of the encrypted file as a removable disk anyway....
Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #8531
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I noticed the Speed Limit field is working once again. Perhaps fixed in 5.10?

And the SL field on the Nuvi Dashboard gave me the speed even though CNNA was not enabled, and a really old map, the Canada Enhanced Basemap, was enabled.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 02:48 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #8532
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Tyre

I could'n't find an answer on search, so here goes. Will the Montana accept maps on a direct transfer from Tyre?
Thanks
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #8533
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighopper View Post
Updated to V5 firmware 3 weeks ago & have noticed that when Routing I only get 'Turn Left' or 'Turn Right in 600 meters' type directions. I used to get 'Turn Left at 112Ave' etc on V4.9 firmware.

Anybody else have this problem?....
Try another voice. The voices with the larger file size speak out streetnames.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #8534
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
I could'n't find an answer on search, so here goes. Will the Montana accept maps on a direct transfer from Tyre?
No idea what "Tyre" is but I don't remember anyone but you mentioning it on here.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #8535
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I fail to see the logic in this "partial map" idea. I have all of City Navigator NA, all 1.9 gigabytes of it, almost 4 gigs of Topo Canada V4 and some other maps as well and the gps is fast and there's no dickering around with map transfers.
Old habits die hard!

Must be a leftover from MS-DOS days:

WHOOOEEE! I gotta 10Mb hard drive on my $6,000 Compaq suitcase computer! It's really fast, like 0.5 seconds per MB. No more 5.25" floppies for me!