ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 252 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #8551
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Is this off City Nav? You could run the old copy as well as the new one if you have the drive space, and still have the old file. This would be a good argument for not deleting old map img files when updated ones are downloaded to the unit.

If you do have two copies of City Nav on the gps, you just need to make sure they're not both enabled at the same time. Maybe a profile for each map would be a good plan, then you could switch from one version to the other really quickly to see the differences.
As I learned recently when I have both Topo 24K and CN installed, one big issue with this is that the wonderful Montana will search both maps' POI DB's even if one is disabled. During a POI search, you end up with old POI's, double POI's and no way to tell which map they are from.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #8552
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
As I learned recently when I have both Topo 24K and CN installed, one big issue with this is that the wonderful Montana will search both maps' POI DB's even if one is disabled. During a POI search, you end up with old POI's, double POI's and no way to tell which map they are from.
Funny...I always thought of that as a good way to assess the likelihood that the POI was still there. Although never a sure thing when talking POI's.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #8553
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Sweet, just loaded up Roads and Rec on my Montana.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #8554
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Funny...I always thought of that as a good way to assess the likelihood that the POI was still there. Although never a sure thing when talking POI's.
You can't tell which map they're from so it won't help with that.

And IMO it's sort of messed up that it still searches a map that's disabled so there's no way to limit which maps it searches. That way you could search more than one map if you wanted although I don't see much value in that, and that way you could limit it to whichever map and from the direct experience of the unit searching multiple maps, I see a lot of value in that. And it seems that if it searches more than one map, you should be able to easily tell which map it's finding it from....but no...oh well....
Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #8555
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,367
Quote:
You can't tell which map they're from so it won't help with that.

And IMO it's sort of messed up that it still searches a map that's disabled so there's no way to limit which maps it searches. That way you could search more than one map if you wanted although I don't see much value in that, and that way you could limit it to whichever map and from the direct experience of the unit searching multiple maps, I see a lot of value in that. And it seems that if it searches more than one map, you should be able to easily tell which map it's finding it from....but no...oh well....
Not sure what you mean by duplicate pois. I just searched a number of ways on my Montana and found no duplicates at all. I tried with all the maps (except the duplicate CNNA which is now gone) enabled, all but CNNA disabled and it made no difference - there were no duplicate towns, service stations, attractions - you name it. No duplicates at all.

Topo Canada is auto-routing - it has Metroguide Canada and a POI database incorporated in it.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-23-2013 at 01:38 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #8556
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

A search for grocery stores. CN only first, 24K only next, both third:

In the third, CN was enabled and 24K disabled but like mentioned, it doesn't matter. To get the Montana to only see one mapset I change the ".img" extension to ".tmp" (or whatever) in the mapset I don't want it to see.

In the third the first two Fry's are the same store, the second two Fry's are the same store as are the two Safeways. When you find them they stay in the recent finds even if you remove the map and it'll barf if you try to route to the one selected from the map that is no longer installed and of course there's no way to tell which mapset they're from. The 24K ones seem to be pretty inaccurate too...sometimes way off....
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #8557
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:

In the third, CN was enabled and 24K disabled but like mentioned, it doesn't matter. To get the Montana to only see one mapset I change the ".img" extension to ".tmp" (or whatever) in the mapset I don't want it to see.

In the third the first two Fry's are the same store, the second two Fry's are the same store as are the two Safeways. When you find them they stay in the recent finds even if you remove the map and it'll barf if you try to route to the one selected from the map that is no longer installed and of course there's no way to tell which mapset they're from. The 24K ones seem to be pretty inaccurate too...sometimes way off....
I have the same experience with CN2013.41 Europe and OSM maps installed. However, I can determine the difference indirectly: when you press on the results you get addresses etc. CN has telephone numbers in it, OSM has not (at least for hotels this is true). But I agree with you that I would prefer the Montana did not search in disabled maps.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #8558
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
A search for grocery stores. CN only first, 24K only next, both third:

Interesting. I don't see any of that on my gps.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #8559
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

I'm pretty sure it depends on the mapsets and what you're searching for and where you're doing the search from. It had given me grief searching for grocery stores before so that's just what I did for some quick screen grabs. Food and drink too. Frequently when both 24K and CN are installed I don't see a lot of duplicates with plenty of searches... But it's often enough I avoid having them both going at the same time, especially since there's no way to remove individual entries in the recent finds (grrrrr) and I'd think having two versions of CN (mebbe I'll try that sometime) would be worse...
Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #8560
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I got a new montana mounted Saturday and am thrilled with it, but seem to have an issue that I haven't read about. I have all the zoom settings set to default which is auto zoom, yet I ride down the highway and take an off ramp the unit never zooms. I'm just riding with an icon with no roads at that point forever until I manually zoom. No big deal as I don't mind doing it manually, just seems like the auto zoom is supposed to do some work if I choose that setting??
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #8561
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I got a new montana mounted Saturday and am thrilled with it, but seem to have an issue that I haven't read about. I have all the zoom settings set to default which is auto zoom, yet I ride down the highway and take an off ramp the unit never zooms. I'm just riding with an icon with no roads at that point forever until I manually zoom. No big deal as I don't mind doing it manually, just seems like the auto zoom is supposed to do some work if I choose that setting??
What maps do you have in that unit? And the map zoom is separate. In the Advanced screen, it's the top option.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #8562
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Garmin Monterra

Garmin just announced a new GPS - the Monterra (terrible name). Android based, IPX7, WiFi, etc... Could be kind of cool. I started a seperate thread for it here - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898282
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #8563
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
What maps do you have in that unit? And the map zoom is separate. In the Advanced screen, it's the top option.
I put City Navigator in it and it's enabled and working as I see all the streets. I'll be looking more at it today and give it another try.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #8564
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Garmin just announced a new GPS - the Monterra (terrible name). Android based, IPX7, WiFi, etc... Could be kind of cool. I started a seperate thread for it here - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898282
Initial thought was it was a prank, as we first heard of it around April 1, but maybe it's not a prank after all...
Old 06-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #8565
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Track question

So is it possible to log to tracks simultaneously on the 600? Basically I have an overall route I want to log and then several small sub tracks or spurs within that route that I want to pull exact millage and POIs from. It would be nice to be logging the track of the overall ride, but then be able to start a sub track with millage etc specific to that track and then end that track while still recording the main track. is this possible

THanks
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote