ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 249 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #8566
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
It's only got one log. You can dice and slice and do whatever with the log data on your PC though and end up with the data you're looking for.

I'd sort of like to be able to do what your talking about - I'd have one log that logs everything, always at the max rate of the GNSS receiver (1Hz) primarily for downloading to the PC and then another for creating tracks.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #8567
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
GPS signal loss bug

I've seen a couple references to loosing the GPS signal, and I've seen it happen a couple of times—I'm riding along, not watching the GPS, and next time I look down it says "Acquiring Satellites" and my location is from five or fifteen minutes ago. Exiting the map screen to the home screen, waiting a few moments for the GPS to catch up, and returning seems to resolve the issue, but it's a bit annoying if I do actually want to refer to the map for directions, etc.

Is this related to the GPS update speed? Any known fix other than adjusting that setting? (please feel free to point me to the correct post if it's already been documented, but I only read back ten or so pages)
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #8568
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
I've seen a couple references to loosing the GPS signal, and I've seen it happen a couple of times—I'm riding along, not watching the GPS, and next time I look down it says "Acquiring Satellites" and my location is from five or fifteen minutes ago. Exiting the map screen to the home screen, waiting a few moments for the GPS to catch up, and returning seems to resolve the issue, but it's a bit annoying if I do actually want to refer to the map for directions, etc.

Is this related to the GPS update speed? Any known fix other than adjusting that setting? (please feel free to point me to the correct post if it's already been documented, but I only read back ten or so pages)
Yes, so far the bug occurs when map speed is set to Fast.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #8569
dvmvm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
So is it possible to log to tracks simultaneously on the 600? Basically I have an overall route I want to log and then several small sub tracks or spurs within that route that I want to pull exact millage and POIs from. It would be nice to be logging the track of the overall ride, but then be able to start a sub track with millage etc specific to that track and then end that track while still recording the main track. is this possible

THanks
I think you can use the stopwatch for that:
Start the stopwatch at the stub and stop it when finished. A separate track named date_time_STOPWATCH is created in the archive at the moment when you press RESET to reset the stopwatch.
dvmvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #8570
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I have a Montana and really like it. Like most here, I have found some features missing that were on other Garmin units but it is a really useful GPS.

I just got home from a 1330 mile offroad loop in Nevada. On the first day, I had a pretty solid wipeout that cuased me issues with my Montana. It was mounted in the Garmin powered mount and stayed in there. It was kind of forced into the earth and the screen was totally covered with dust and dirt. I wiped it off with my glove and got my bike all sorted out. Everything was kind of askew so I was not too concerned about the Montana yet. I also had my 60csx on a ram mount. I was using the Montana to follow the route and the 60 with data fields. I finally noticed the Montana would not respond to any presses on the screen. I took a few minutes and tried cleaning off the screen really well but it would still not respond. I then squirted some water on the screen and wiped it off even better but it still would not work.

I was starting to get bummed. So I just turned it off and started navigating with the 60csx. That is when I really realized how nice the Montana is. So I finished the day using the 60csx for routing. We ended up setting up camp in the dark so I did not fool with the Montana until morning. I thought maybe the problem was that the unit thought I was pushing a button due to the dirt around the edge of the screen. I tried to do a reset but the unit would not accept my screen pushes when it asked me if I wanted to erase all the user data. Finally, I figured out that I could use the edge of a Clif Bar wrapper to scrape the dirt out form under the plastic surrounding the edges of the screen. Once I cleaned out all the dirt, the unit operated perfectly. I used it for the rest of the trip. It worked perfectly.

Just wanted to share my experience as I thought it might help someone else in the future.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #8571
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I was starting to get bummed. So I just turned it off and started navigating with the 60csx. That is when I really realized how nice the Montana is. So I finished the day using the 60csx for routing. We ended up setting up camp in the dark so I did not fool with the Montana until morning. I thought maybe the problem was that the unit thought I was pushing a button due to the dirt around the edge of the screen. I tried to do a reset but the unit would not accept my screen pushes when it asked me if I wanted to erase all the user data. Finally, I figured out that I could use the edge of a Clif Bar wrapper to scrape the dirt out form under the plastic surrounding the edges of the screen. Once I cleaned out all the dirt, the unit operated perfectly. I used it for the rest of the trip. It worked perfectly.

Just wanted to share my experience as I thought it might help someone else in the future.
Wow, you should send your story to Garmin. I bet they'll use it in their blog.

Send it to stories@garmin.com

Did you have a screen protector? How did the screen fare in the tumble?

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 01:32 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #8572
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Initial thought was it was a prank, as we first heard of it around April 1, but maybe it's not a prank after all...
No prank...Garmin actually filed the Monterra™ Trademark back in Nov 2012.

I was kind of expecting to see it this Spring (May-June) like the Montana release. Bummer it won't be here 'til next Q.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #8573
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I have a Montana and really like it. I had a pretty solid wipeout that cuased me issues with my Montana. It was kind of forced into the earth and the screen was totally covered with dust and dirt. the Montana would not respond to any presses on the screen. Finally, I figured out that I could use the edge of a Clif Bar wrapper to scrape the dirt out form under the plastic surrounding the edges of the screen. Once I cleaned out all the dirt, the unit operated perfectly.
I have 35 mm film to clean mud out of fork seals. Sounds like riders who crash often may not want to go with touch screen.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #8574
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Took a test ride with my montana now that I have my mount all wired and setup and had a few frustrations, I was hoping someone might have some input on where to look.

1) I had the unit in the cradle in the portrait position (up and down, not side to side). It was at maybe a 45 deg plane but kept flipping between portrait and landscape mode. I tried to adjust it to allow it to be more up and down, but it did not seem to help. Is there a way to lock it into portrait mode?

2) 2 times I had it power itself off while I was underway. I had a fully charged battery, and had DC power connected. I could not think of a reason this would be happening. When I noticed it was off I pushed the button and it fired back up. Is this the issue of the battery coming lose? Should I try an ear plug back there?

Thanks guys!
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #8575
scottydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post

1) I had the unit in the cradle in the portrait position (up and down, not side to side). It was at maybe a 45 deg plane but kept flipping between portrait and landscape mode. I tried to adjust it to allow it to be more up and down, but it did not seem to help. Is there a way to lock it into portrait mode?

Thanks guys!
Yes, in the menus you can lock the orientation.
scottydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #8576
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Took a test ride with my montana now that I have my mount all wired and setup and had a few frustrations, I was hoping someone might have some input on where to look.

2) 2 times I had it power itself off while I was underway. I had a fully charged battery, and had DC power connected. I could not think of a reason this would be happening. When I noticed it was off I pushed the button and it fired back up. Is this the issue of the battery coming lose? Should I try an ear plug back there?

Thanks guys!
1 - Setup/Display/Orientation Lock/Lock Portrait

2 - Yes, put an earplug in it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #8577
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
1 - Setup/Display/Orientation Lock/Lock Portrait

2 - Yes, put an earplug in it.

You guys rock!

thanks
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #8578
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Waypoint Limit?

So I loaded up a route from Basecamp. When I activated it in the Montana 600, I get a message that I am limited to 50 waypoints in one route?

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #8579
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Heart Rate and Cadence Data Logging

Does the Montana log this data?
I have a heart rate monitor and I can see my heart rate in the display but when I look at the track log in BaseCamp I don't see the heart rate data log.

Is it there in the track but just not displayed in BaseCamp?
Is there another program that will display the heart rate data?
If I upload the track to Garmin Connect will I see the heart rate data?

Ditto all questions for cadence sensor and data.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #8580
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
Does the Montana log this data?
I have a heart rate monitor and I can see my heart rate in the display but when I look at the track log in BaseCamp I don't see the heart rate data log.

Is it there in the track but just not displayed in BaseCamp?
Is there another program that will display the heart rate data?
If I upload the track to Garmin Connect will I see the heart rate data?

Ditto all questions for cadence sensor and data.
Do you use this? http://connect.garmin.com/

Or this? http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/int...raining_center

I have no idea how well the Montana works with the above, but it should allow you to see heart rate data.

You might have better luck asking your question in the Garmin Forum site: https://forums.garmin.com/forum.php

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 05:51 AM