ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #8626
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebugslayer View Post
I have a montana and basecamp 4.1.2 on a mac and have a similar frustration. The data (waypoints and tracks) I want for an upcoming trip shows up on the montana in basecamp but when I unplug the GPS, the Track Manager does not show the tracks. It is as though the data is on the unit, but only basecamp can access it. Each track is under 10,000 points btw.

Any suggestions on how I can get the tracks to appear on my montana?

thank you
That is exactly the issue.

Now to throw another wrench in the mix. I exported my .gpx file and sent to another Montana user for the same trip. He had the very same issue trying to load my file. It opens in BaseCamp just fine. It transfers to the Montana, and the routes and tracks are veiwable on the Montana from within BaseCamp. But, they are nowhere to be found when the Montana is turned on independent of BaseCamp.

So, after five attempts (I got the routes up after fiddling with via points on the Montana from within BaseCamp) at loading tracks, I finally resorted to using Mapsource instead. The upload worked just fine from Mapsource and the tracks show up.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #8627
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I threw on 4.2.1... but I don't see how to "Search along Route"...
It's in Trip Planner...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #8628
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
That is exactly the issue.

Now to throw another wrench in the mix. I exported my .gpx file and sent to another Montana user for the same trip. He had the very same issue trying to load my file. It opens in BaseCamp just fine. It transfers to the Montana, and the routes and tracks are veiwable on the Montana from within BaseCamp. But, they are nowhere to be found when the Montana is turned on independent of BaseCamp.

So, after five attempts (I got the routes up after fiddling with via points on the Montana from within BaseCamp) at loading tracks, I finally resorted to using Mapsource instead. The upload worked just fine from Mapsource and the tracks show up.
As I said previously, I would do a Master Reset to the Montana and I would install the latest version of BaseCamp; v4.2.1 (Windows is available now and Mac should be available shortly).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #8629
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
As I said previously, I would do a Master Reset to the Montana and I would install the latest version of BaseCamp; v4.2.1 (Windows is available now and Mac should be available shortly).
will do. Now I've distributed the .gpx file to five people and they all have the same issue. Must be a problem in BaseCamp. Upgrading BaseCamp is good idea. Master reset, I'm not so thrilled about. It's not just me, but all my buddies who now have corrupted files...

Thanks for your help. Garmin is doing something funny with the file structures.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #8630
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
It's in Trip Planner...
That's pretty weird. It just does a search near the center of the point you choose on the route..... that's not at all like the search near route in the gps's. Those limit the search within about a mile or so and do the search along the entire route.... much more useful....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #8631
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
will do. Now I've distributed the .gpx file to five people and they all have the same issue. Must be a problem in BaseCamp. Upgrading BaseCamp is good idea. Master reset, I'm not so thrilled about. It's not just me, but all my buddies who now have corrupted files...

Thanks for your help. Garmin is doing something funny with the file structures.
I just Imported your GDB file into v4.2 of BaseCamp with no issues. I then sent the List to my Montana, disconnected and here are the results:

As you can see no problems...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #8632
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Often, when I drag routes or tracks (maybe even waypoints) in BaseCamp onto the Montana data file icon, the content does not show up on the Montana.
FWIW, probably nothing, try "sending" the data to the Montana by left clicking the data, using Ctrl if needed to select non-contiguous data, then right clicking for the menu and "Send To", then select "Internal Memory" in the folder hierarchy and left click it.

EDIT: sorry, I've only been away 24 hours, this may not be relevant any more.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 05:08 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #8633
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
When you put a screen protector on any screen the screen needs to be really clean... not quite bunny suit clean room clean but think along those lines. Any tiny particle of dust will create a little pocket that looks like crud.

Me, I clean with a dilute dish detergent and distilled water, rinse with distilled, and wipe with "lint free" cloth or even apply some protectors with a little of of the distilled still on the screen (many factors apply!).... Be careful about what you think might be "lint free"....
Sticky tape. Any type. Just grab a piece a few cm long and repeatedly place on and take off. Removed every but of dust. This is after a wet clean and dry
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #8634
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
EDIT: sorry, I've only been away 24 hours, this may not be relevant any more.
Around here, if you've been away 24 hours, you're no longer relevant any more.

Not you, personally, of course. Anyone.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #8635
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
That's pretty weird. It just does a search near the center of the point you choose on the route..... that's not at all like the search near route in the gps's. Those limit the search within about a mile or so and do the search along the entire route.... much more useful....
If you leave the "slider" at the beginning of the Route, select"Search along the route" and then type your search word/string, the results will be along the route. The one thing I don't like about the current results implementation is that they don't show on the map unless you choose "more" or open the Advanced Search window - at which point the results switch to a "center of map" search.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #8636
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
I just Imported your GDB file into v4.2 of BaseCamp with no issues. I then sent the List to my Montana, disconnected and here are the results:

As you can see no problems...
Only one problem. That file includes 5 routes and 7 tracks. Route 1, for some reason, not known to me, is the only one the reads on the Montana, but I can see all of them in BaseCamp. I just reimported the same file I sent to you, just to be sure.

Whadaya think?
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #8637
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Only one problem. That file includes 5 routes and 7 tracks. Route 1, for some reason, not known to me, is the only one the reads on the Montana, but I can see all of them in BaseCamp. I just reimported the same file I sent to you, just to be sure.

Whadaya think?
Sorry, I got lazy with the screenshots and didn't capture all of the Routes, Tracks and Waypoints on my Montana since I have lots of other data on it right now. All of your data was transferred and viewable/navigable on the Montana.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #8638
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, I got lazy with the screenshots and didn't capture all of the Routes, Tracks and Waypoints on my Montana since I have lots of other data on it right now. All of your data was transferred and viewable/navigable on the Montana.
Cool, thanks. Since others are having the same issue, it must relate to incompatibility between old BaseCamp versions and new device versions being used together. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. BTW, I have BaseCamp v4.1.2 and Montana v5.10. I'm upgrading BaseCamp as we speak, and will see if the problem goes away.

cheers!!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #8639
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,912
Quote:

Whadaya think?
The file works perfectly for me:

Here's a shot of the Route Planner:

The Track Manager:

The Waypoint Manager:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #8640
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

OK, I confirmed that it was the older BaseCamp (not that old) on Windows that was corrupting the file in some weird way. I upgraded and it all works. The new one is prettier too!

Thanks for all the help!!! You guys are awesome.