ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #8641
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
MTNRiderAB, do you have a home network setup? If so it might work by making the disc drive on the desktop a shared folder then access it with the laptop over the network.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #8642
MTNRiderAB
Information Sponge

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
MTNRiderAB, do you have a home network setup? If so it might work by making the disc drive on the desktop a shared folder then access it with the laptop over the network.
Y'all are some smart folk around here.

Nailed it, thanks.
MTNRiderAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #8643
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
If Garmin isn't interested they won't respond at all. I've sent them multiple e-mails regarding the 50 via point limit and have never once heard back from them. Now when I emailed them about a data field bug they replied immediately. SO just because you got a response once, doesn't mean everyone gets one every time.

I am just trying to say that if you don't tell them about it, they will never fix it. From what I understand, Garmin created a special avenue for users to provide feedback on the Montana. If we do not use it, how can we ever expect any improvements at all?
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #8644
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I got a new montana mounted Saturday and am thrilled with it, but seem to have an issue that I haven't read about. I have all the zoom settings set to default which is auto zoom, yet I ride down the highway and take an off ramp the unit never zooms. I'm just riding with an icon with no roads at that point forever until I manually zoom. No big deal as I don't mind doing it manually, just seems like the auto zoom is supposed to do some work if I choose that setting??
I called Garmin and asked if was normal that the Montana 600 didn't zoom on its own and he said this unit doesn't auto zoom so I was a little disappointed as trying to ride and hit the little +/- buttons after taking a freeway off ramp seemed a little distracting to say the least since even $99 nuvis the zoom works. I finally tried setting map speed to high, and on routing turned the lock on roads setting to on, and now the unit works perfect. So one of them little settings threw off the zoom. Glad it works now. Love the unit. Garmin tech must not have understood what I was complaining of. Why in the heck have an auto zoom button with am on/off if it doesn't zoom?
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #8645
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
I am very cynical about this point of view particularly since there isn't a very good way to "request" features besides send an email to a support black hole. Plenty of people's experience with Garmin is that they are notoriously bad listeners when it comes to the details of unit features on consumer products (My experience has been very different for their aviation units). It's why I often bring up product validation (vs. verification - did they build the right unit vs. did they build it right) I don't believe they do much of that if any and frankly I don't think they do much verification either, especially on the montana, which a high number of users view as plenty buggy even after being on the market for two years.

We may disagree - that's ok. There are plenty of people that likely see this from both sides.
I like it when folks disagree - it would be a boring place otherwise.

Over the years I definitely haven't seen eye to eye with Garmin's Software Development practices. Were we do disagree is that I actually think they do a reasonable job of product validation but only a so-so job of verification. A 68% market share would indicate that their validation isn't that far afield. But to have this conversation go much further we would have to agree upon what "we" think is the market for this device. I simply read the initial press release and Feature/Spec's info to form my opinion.

Send Montana Feature Requests to: MontanaBeta@garmin.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
One thing I've learned (partly from this thread in particular) is that many montana users haven't used a gps with "advanced" features and that those that have used such gps's too often miss dearly... so these newer users don't know what features they are missing or should "request"... It's like talking to someone who's only used gps's that don't do track logs.... Talk track logs and they often just stare blankly and say "what are those good for?" let alone ask the manufacturer for them.
In general I don't disagree with your views...I just try to work within the avenues available to me. As for the level of questions you see here, keep in mind that all of those folks (the majority of customers) that know how to use "advanced" GPS units aren't posting a lot of questions here and there are a LOT more users of the Montana than what you might see represented here.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #8646
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I called Garmin and asked if was normal that the Montana 600 didn't zoom on its own and he said this unit doesn't auto zoom so I was a little disappointed as trying to ride and hit the little +/- buttons after taking a freeway off ramp seemed a little distracting to say the least since even $99 nuvis the zoom works. I finally tried setting map speed to high, and on routing turned the lock on roads setting to on, and now the unit works perfect. So one of them little settings threw off the zoom. Glad it works now. Love the unit. Garmin tech must not have understood what I was complaining of. Why in the heck have an auto zoom button with am on/off if it doesn't zoom?
Agreed, they must have not understood your issue. Of course it Auto Zooms. You must have a City Navigator map installed and be navigating a Route.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #8647
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,171
Help Please!

So I created a new list in my Colorado folder. In this list I made three routes. Once the routes were done I copied and pasted them in my Montana internal storage folder. I see the three routes in the folder, put when i try and find them on the GPS to run them they are nowhere to be found.

What folder do I put my routes in so they are visible to on the GPS or how do I find these routes in the GPS?

Thanks, Dan
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #8648
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Help Please!

So I created a new list in my Colorado folder. In this list I made three routes. Once the routes were done I copied and pasted them in my Montana internal storage folder. I see the three routes in the folder, put when i try and find them on the GPS to run them they are nowhere to be found.

What folder do I put my routes in so they are visible to on the GPS or how do I find these routes in the GPS?

Thanks, Dan
Why didn't you just use the 'Transfer to gps' option?

The location for tracks and routes is X:\garmin\gpx but if you use the Transfer tool, it'll send the files there.

In Basecamp you can just right click the folder and select "Send to gps" directly from there. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #8649
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Help Please!

Thanks, Dan
On my Montana, my routes are saved into a folder GPX, which is under GARMIN. I just select the routes in Basecamp and then send them to the User Folder using BC. I don't even choose the folder. But if you're using Explorer, the GARMIN/GPX would be the folder for you.

HTH,

Tim
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #8650
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
In Basecamp you can just right click the folder and select "Send to gps" directly from there. It doesn't get any easier than that.
Uh, I don't think that is actually one of the options, you have to select "Send To", then select which of the many possible destinations in the BC list hierarchy, in this case Montana 6XX/ "internal storage", or the Sd card.

Semantics, Semantics!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #8651
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Uh, I don't think that is actually one of the options, you have to select "Send To", then select which of the many possible destinations in the BC list hierarchy, in this case Montana 6XX/ "internal storage", or the Sd card.

Semantics, Semantics!
Pedant alert!

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #8652
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,087
650T touchscreen not working

Tried a software update and even did a screen calibration. The unit fires up just fine, screen shows current location and time. Screen rotates just fine. No amount of touch will activate anything. Screen is NOT locked.

Ideas?
Thanks,
J
Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #8653
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Why didn't you just use the 'Transfer to gps' option?

The location for tracks and routes is X:\garmin\gpx but if you use the Transfer tool, it'll send the files there.

On a Mac, in Basecamp the Montana and card show up just above the list area. You can just drag and drop your routes and tracks onto them.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #8654
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post
Tried a software update and even did a screen calibration. The unit fires up just fine, screen shows current location and time. Screen rotates just fine. No amount of touch will activate anything. Screen is NOT locked.

Ideas?
Thanks,
J
That is exactly how mine was acting when it had dirt jammed in between the edge of the screen and the plastic surround after I had a crash.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #8655
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by marbee40 View Post

Ideas?
Thanks,
J
Mine was like this due to a crack in the glass under the screen, in the exact place you need to push to do a master reset. It then got water under it but Garmin replaced it under warranty