ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #8671
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Help Please!

So I created a new list in my Colorado folder. In this list I made three routes. Once the routes were done I copied and pasted them in my Montana internal storage folder. I see the three routes in the folder, put when i try and find them on the GPS to run them they are nowhere to be found.

What folder do I put my routes in so they are visible to on the GPS or how do I find these routes in the GPS?

Thanks, Dan
I had the same experience.

Check out post 8610.

hope this helps you.
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #8672
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Agreed, they must have not understood your issue. Of course it Auto Zooms. You must have a City Navigator map installed and be navigating a Route.
I don't post a lot, but when I do ..... it's to confuse an issue.

I have seen my Montana autozoom when not following a route. Seems too happen after a turn or cloverleaf and the unit thinks I no longer need the detail. Annoying as hell as I usually want all the detail I can get when self-navigating. Turning off the autozoom prevents it, of course.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #8673
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
I don't post a lot, but when I do ..... it's to confuse an issue.

I have seen my Montana autozoom when not following a route. Seems too happen after a turn or cloverleaf and the unit thinks I no longer need the detail. Annoying as hell as I usually want all the detail I can get when self-navigating. Turning off the autozoom prevents it, of course.
Agreed. You don't need to be navigating a route to auto-zoom in and out. I think it's more a factor of the type of road you are on (surface streets vs interstate) and your speed.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #8674
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Agreed. You don't need to be navigating a route to auto-zoom in and out. I think it's more a factor of the type of road you are on (surface streets vs interstate) and your speed.
You fellows are correct of course - you don't need to be navigating a Route. I got carried away.

I usually have mine set to OFF since I find it annoying most of the time - unless I'm in an unknown City. If we could set the zoom-In and zoom-Out levels based upon your speed (like the zumo 660) I would probably be more inclined to use it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #8675
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
I have to admit I'm no longer following along with this thread as too many posts go by in just a few days and I'm not willing to read them all. So I apologize in advance if my next post has already been covered (I know the first part has) but I'm copying it over from another post in the 24k vs. 100k thread...

I find it very useful for people to post and capture any of their "Best Practice" ideas. I am posting mine next, it is a 2-part but I found it very helpful. If someone thinks it can go in the Wisdom thread then please put it there (or wherever). Here goes...

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #8676
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Best Practice: Getting rid of topo lines with 24k map:

I got the 24k map and at first it seemed like I would never use the 24k topo because I use tracks and not routes when offroad, AND because the topo lines get in the way...

But I have found 2 awesome uses for the 24k map:
1. Creating a track in Basecamp:
At home in Basecamp, the 24k shows roads on it that CityNav does not. So there was a route I wanted to take but did not have tracks for, what you can do is use BaseCamp and select a few waypoints along the route you want to take, then let it Autoroute for you..
And now the COOOOL part: save that route as a Track! Now you have a Track you can use on your device. Of course it is not tested and proven but it is a start - it is a Track that will never change and can be shared for multiple GPSr's for your group. A 100 mile track took me 2 minutes to make!

2. Getting rid of topo lines on the Montana:
I found a way on the Montana to use the Shaded Relief feature so it shows a 3D terrain without the topo lines. This is only possible by having the 24k topo map on the Montana (ok well can't speak for the 100k map, might be the same...).
But there is a trick to it. First enable the Shaded Relief. Then if you enable only the 24k map it shows the topo lines and clogs up the screen. But if you enable the 24k AND CityNav then the result magically shows shaded relief and a kind of 3D view but no topo lines so your trail/roads show up better.

UPDATE: As always, you also need to keep the BaseMap enabled as well. And yes as others have noted this really does SLOW down the performance. I don't usually leave it in this mode, just switch to it momentarily when I want to see some more of a 3D/relief view to help read the terrain, then switch it back.

Here is an example pic of this. The colors are not accurate, they are more of a muted rose orange color on the Montana actually. This is a pic of the bridge in Moab Utah, and a track I recorded in aqua. You can see the tall walls along the Colorado river and it gives you an idea. No topo lines!

(Anyone care to comment why this works this way? Do others find this useful? I'm still on a FW version 4.60 if that matters).

3. Shortcuts:
In order to avoid using the dreaded "Setup Map" from the drawer in order to enable and disable the CN and/or 24k maps, and also Shaded Relief (as it is difficult to do while bouncing over rocks offroad, without screwing the pooch)...

Instead I setup 2 shortcuts and put them on my main menu. "ReliefOn" to "turn on" the Shaded Relief and map feature show above, and "ReliefOff" to go back to no Shaded Relief, CityNav on and Topo24k off. Then it is safe to switch between since a missed dab at the main menu is safe, plus the shortcut icons are big.

Sometimes I notice that the shortcuts do not actually work (nothing changes). My workaround for this is to switch to a new profile (Auto) and back to the one (Moto) where I keep these shortcuts... if I remember right. Then they work. So I have another shortcut just to go to the Auto profile, and in the Auto profile's main menu I have a shortcut to go the Moto profile. It works.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 12:51 AM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #8677
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
does the shaded relief continue to work like this regardless of zoom level?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8678
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
[SIZE=4]
(Anyone care to comment why this works this way? Does it do this for everyone? I'm still on a FW version 4.60 if that matters).
Not to imply that you're not "special" but it does this for everybody if they have Topo and CNNA installed and Enabled and Shaded Relief turn on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
does the shaded relief continue to work like this regardless of zoom level?
Yes... but this takes a lot of CPU to redraw the map with all of the elevation and shading data so map redraw is a bit slow.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #8679
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
No Speed limit

I have seen this brought up a few times in the past.
Speed limit on maps (nuvi view) and in trip computer are missing.

What I have found is that in the Montana you must disable your topo maps to make this work.

So in my case I have to disable Topo 24k and make sure CNNA is enabled.

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #8680
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
I have seen this brought up a few times in the past.
Speed limit on maps (nuvi view) and in trip computer are missing.

What I have found is that in the Montana you must disable your topo maps to make this work.

So in my case I have to disable Topo 24k and make sure CNNA is enabled.

Fred
Also, keep in mind that not all CNNA roads have Speed Limit data. And some roads might have data in one direction of travel but not in the other! It all depends on the person who coded the data into the map dataset.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #8681
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not to imply that you're not "special" but it does this for everybody if they have Topo and CNNA installed and Enabled and Shaded Relief turn on.

Yes... but this takes a lot of CPU to redraw the map with all of the elevation and shading data so map redraw is a bit slow.

And you are not looking at TOPO 24k, you are looking at CN and the underlying DEM (Digital Elevation Model) data from TOPO to create the shading.
There is more to TOPO then DEM data.
So yes it will give a sense of the terrain but it's not TOPO w/o the contours.
Still a good option for those only interested in "hills".

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #8682
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Just tried out my new 650T.
What do think?
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/by/rickcj7/johnstown-trip/#.Uc_GWCLD-1s

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #8683
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
Looks cool to me.
I have never tried the adventures yet.
The photos look good too.

Thanks

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #8684
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Looks cool to me.
I have never tried the adventures yet.
The photos look good too.

Thanks

Fred
And, if you use BaseCamp Trip Planner you can insert "Adventures" right into your Days route. It converts the Track to a Direct Route with 50 via points so as to better deal with the current crop of GPS's. You can always edit the Days Route outside of Trip Planner if you want to remove some via points or change the Direct profile to an Along-road profile.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #8685
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Heart Rate Monitor for Montana

Picking up the posts from a week or so ago.
Completed a ride today on the mountain bike using the Montana and the Garmin Heart Rate strap.
Got home and connected the Montana to my laptop.
Opened BaseCamp and voila. The ride is there complete with the heart rate data. Fantastic!

Uploaded the route to Map My Fitness (my preferred fitness training and logging program). No heart rate info.

Connected To Garmin Connect. Connect sees the track on the Montana and uploads it automatically. View the track and it is comeplte with heart rate info, elevation, etc. Everything I want recorded.

Tried it with Garmin Training Center (Im not fond of Training Center bu thought I'd try it). Training Center will not automatically load the track from the Montana. But its not too bad, you "Import" a "history" and find it in the Montana. Uploads to Training Center complete with all heart rate data.

All in all quite good and what I was looking for. If I could just get it to import to Map My Fitness I would be all set.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote